SHEFFIELD DERBY: Drones to be used in policing operation at game for first time

7 hours ago, I.T.I said:

Drones are to be used in the policing operation at the Sheffield derby on Monday night,it has been revealed today.

The deviceswill be used in the sky aroundHillsborough football stadium on Monday night to monitor the crowds as fans head to and from the ground when Sheffield Wednesday play Sheffield United in their second league meeting of the season. 

Footage from the drones will be beamed to police chiefson the ground to help with the deployment of officers to where they are needed most. 

This will be the first time we have used drones at a football match and they will be important in giving us an overview of the crowds on the ground to help with the efficiency and effectiveness of the policing operation,” he said.  

“If there are signs of disorder we will be able to act quickly and appropriately.  

“This is using technology in a very positive way and I hope the supporters that see them drones above them are reassured by that as they are to be used to help us ensure their safety and so that we can use the staff we have more efficiently.”  

Around 300 police officers are involved in the derby day operation. 

See the source image

I wonder if SYP will adhere to the laws about using drones.

Where can and can’t I fly my drone in the UK right now?

Seen some snazzy airborne footage on YouTube? Well, it might have been captured illegally as, according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people.

Guest mkowl

I will get my mate Craig who actually filmed the drone footage used in the C4 programme 24 Hours in A & E to get his drone fitted with scud missiles to take it out.

He was always a bit vague as to why he turned up late for that meeting on the day when the Gatwick drone story broke so reckon he is anti establishment 

I'm just baffled here. Wtf are they expecting on Monday night? It's like syp want everyone to know that trouble is inevitable. It's united coming to Hillsborough. Are their fans really that bad? This seems like massive overkill and will no doubt lead to an atmosphere on the night that isn't pleasant. Seeing hundreds of coppers dressed like paramilitarys isn't the nicest thing. Drones flying about filming everyone that misses the many cameras on the floor just adds to it for me. Hope the pilots are good at their job, one of those things landing in a crowd of people won't be fun. Be interesting to see if they follow the law on the distance from people and heights etc. Bet you any money they don't. 

8 hours ago, dazaston said:

I wonder if SYP will adhere to the laws about using drones.

Where can and can’t I fly my drone in the UK right now?

Seen some snazzy airborne footage on YouTube? Well, it might have been captured illegally as, according to UK laws regulated by the Civil Aviation Authority, consumer drones (classed as those that weigh under 20kg) must be flown no higher than 400 feet (120 metres), and be kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from congested areas and organised open-air assemblies of more than 1,000 people.

Consumer laws I imagine doesn't apply to trained police.