Bruce - Wednesday fans realistic!

I think Bruce has been a champ both on and off the field since he arrived. He's sorting us on the pitch and is a joy to watch in front of the media, both local and national. I thought his comments in the Star about the great job that Wilder has done were spot on. Especially as I imagine Wilder nearly cracked his yellow teeth wondering how to respond to such compliment, the classless scrubber.

xZfbmA4.gif

Edited by Anus

What's this about Bruce getting a free season to build? 

This time last season, Jos had just started to turn things around with some resolute defensive performances. Then we started on a storming end to the season: weren't we the form team come May? Didn't many agree at that time that Jos had "a free season" until summer 2019 when he could clear the dross and build his own team?

Early days this season and we sneaked into the top six, but the knives were already out. There's no such thing as a free season for managers with Wednesday fans. And that was before results dipped scarily.

Now Bruce and Jos are chalk and cheese, but whatever the transfer dealings in the summer, decent performances and results will be expected. Low-mid table in November and the moaning will intensify. 

Steve Bruce wasn't my ideal appointment (although there wasn't a stand out alternative) but he's winning me round. Stay clear of relegation places and, for me, he has until 10-15 games into season 2020-21 to really start delivering. But I doubt many of our fans have that much patience. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hugeowl said:

The difference  is Bruce knows what it takes to build a side and how to play to get out of the division .

Carlos and Jos just thought they knew 

Jos didn’t know how to pick a side, nevermind build one! 

Surprised we played with 11 in some games, useless tail. 

6 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

He gets a free swing at next season for me.

Will be disappointing if we don't make playoffs at least next season, always am every season now, but i won't be on Bruce's case if we are just hovering around mid table next season.

He'll need at least 18 months and three transfer windows to build a squad. We need to come through FFP and then give Bruce time.

100% agree with this.

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

This time last season, Jos had just started to turn things around with some resolute defensive performances. Then we started on a storming end to the season: weren't we the form team come May? Didn't many agree at that time that Jos had "a free season" until summer 2019 when he could clear the dross and build his own team?

Early days this season and we sneaked into the top six, but the knives were already out. There's no such thing as a free season for managers with Wednesday fans. And that was before results dipped scarily.

Now Bruce and Jos are chalk and cheese, but whatever the transfer dealings in the summer, decent performances and results will be expected. Low-mid table in November and the moaning will intensify. 

Steve Bruce wasn't my ideal appointment (although there wasn't a stand out alternative) but he's winning me round. Stay clear of relegation places and, for me, he has until 10-15 games into season 2020-21 to really start delivering. But I doubt many of our fans have that much patience. 

Jos found a way that worked in the run-in last season but totally changed tack this season and this played a part in his downfall. Bruce has kept things nice and simple and at the moment it's working but ultimately he will work to a blueprint that has got him success at this level before and it'll involve a combination of power, pace, youth and experience.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

6 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

If Steve Bruce decides to drop our best players and starts losing games and doesn't change it, then he deserves to be sacked, like Jos was.

Hutchinson, Boyd and Westwood have made very positive impacts in the upturn of results, proving Jos was wrong.

1 hour ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

If Steve Bruce decides to drop our best players and starts losing games and doesn't change it, then he deserves to be sacked, like Jos was.

Hutchinson, Boyd and Westwood have made very positive impacts in the upturn of results, proving Jos was wrong.

I think you're demonstrating my point.

Bruce won't be given next season and summer 2020 to fully sort out the mess he inherited to form a promotion challenging team. He will be judged, by many, on performance in the short term. Lower mid table, a few disappointing results, a few questionable team selections and the knives will be out. No such thing as a free season to build when you're Wednesday manager, but that's probably what's needed. We need to keep faith in this manager.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I think you're demonstrating my point.

Bruce won't be given next season and summer 2020 to fully sort out the mess he inherited to form a promotion challenging team. He will be judged, by many, on performance in the short term. Lower mid table, a few disappointing results, a few questionable team selections and the knives will be out. No such thing as a free season to build when you're Wednesday manager, but that's probably what's needed. We need to keep faith in this manager.

Bruce will be given a fair crack by the Chairman, we know that, loyalty is a strength and a weakness.

It seems to me that the manager is already a popular man with the fanbase, he says the right things and the team are playing well, I believe he will be given some patience and time.

If we start losing games then many of the supporters will have an idea why, if we are losing games because we are leaving out our best players, the support will blame the man picking the team - see Jos.

I am telling you now that Steve Bruce wouldn't make such a stupid decision.

12 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Sounds to me like Steve's mentally started already planning/preparing for his summer rebuild. 

Though he's maybe in his heart, still daring to believe if results go our way he can still sneak us into the playoffs,but is looking at the situation as a whole realistically. 

I can live with that, keep that little bit of optimism while being pragmatic at the same time. 

So he should be, thats his job. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Boyd has done little from what i can tell

Guest The Horse

The problem with Jos was that we were in complete free fall and we looked and played like a relegation team.

Most fans want a manager to do well but the longer it went on, the alarm bells got louder.

We were heading into the bottom three and fast with constant changes, player disharmony and a style of play that was just pure kamikaze.

If the same happens under Bruce then the fans will quite rightly let their feelings be known.

But if we play to a system that works for us and there are obvious if just gradual signs of improvement next season, most fans will be patient I reckon.

Even towards the darkest, most bonkers days of Jos' end here some still wanted to give him time and it took until his last two home games for the crowd to actually chant for him to go.

I reckon the fans will be very patient with Bruce unless he completely loses the plot which I can't see him doing.

These last 12 games are a free shot for him 

Go at it, get these players revved up and let’s go and attack the lot and keep momentum. 

We could lose 3/4 and still have a chance - those above us won’t win the last 12, they’re not in as good form as us except Bristol - who I don’t think will last distance

If we don’t make it so what - onto the next and he needs another free go that season