iFollow...is it on tonight?

[RANT KLAXON]

Clear as mud on the iFollow section of the OS, as per usual. Says “Access to the match live on iFollow will be available here shortly before kick-off” in the Match Centre, but I note that doesn’t actually say “live stream” or “live video”. Access. Access, folks. I can confirm you’ll get ACCESS. Parrrrrrty!

FFS.

I’m a ST holder so I’ve got far less to moan about than those overseas or unable to attend, and iFollow’s total opacity still drives me up the wall - can’t imagine how annoying it must be for others.

It’s not especially cheap either; it’s only our ticket prices that make it look that way! I get the whole of Netflix for about same as I pay them every month for highlights that are uploaded free to YouTube, plus the thrill of guessing, right up until kickoff, whether I’ll be allowed to spend an additional tenner to watch one match from a weird elevation angle once in a blue moon. Absolutely ludicrous.

Add to that the fact that I have to install a crap browser with all safety/privacy features disabled just to be able to log in, and they *still* haven’t implemented a workaround that allows me to use a VPN - as is my legal right - while paying the due fee as a UK viewer.

I do not want my ISP to know which football team I support, any more than I want them to know which gigs I’m going to or what goods I’m buying and having delivered to my house; it gives away far too much personal info, not least what dates and times I may not be at home. I should never have to reveal this info to them, or any other unwanted onlookers, in order to make fair and basic use of a service I am paying them for.

This last part irks me in particular - I use a suite of privacy tools whenever possible online, and EVERYBODY SHOULD in this day and age. It’s frankly irresponsible not to, and I’ll bet you’ll get zero help from the likes of iFollow *or* most banks if you’re phished, hacked, receive malware/ransomware or get your bank details/email leaked via a service like this. It should be easy to sort a VPN workaround, as they’ve evidently got my UK bank details on record - what percentage of fans seriously have access to an overseas bank account, and how much could the tiny proportion who do realistically cost them in slight loss of revenue vs. the many presumably put off by the clunky, unclear, privacy-hobbled current interface and service?

I really am starting to think we perhaps ought to pen a group letter to the service and collect signatures/endorsements as a sort of co-sign (possibly even from other clubs’ fans, too). It’s a complete shambles and has been since it started - fair enough first season, but they’ve had time to get their ducks in a row now. Yet still their information week-to-week is nearly always impossibly vaguely worded, and borderline misleading on occasion. A live football match is nigh-on two hours long; at a tenner a go on midweek nights after work with families and commitments, we can’t just be finding out with next to no real notice whether or not it’s even going to be on - we need to plan around that.

I’ve not even got near to discussing the service once we have finally got it up and running, either. Sweet trampolining christ, it winds me up.

Other than that though, it’s great.

:Sid:
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

SWFC ususally say if it's available for International iFollow suscribers, but that part is ominously missing from this mornings 'Matchday! tweet'....anyone got any idea?

Untitled.png.4bd0344e20746dd53196998b6cc23ad4.png

On twitter it says it is.

Don't forget, it's £20 tickets for adults in all stands tonight! iFollow will have match commentary (for UK) and stream live (for overseas) but the game will not be available on the red button #swfc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

It is viewable for abroad subscribers.

Is the 'abroad' specification because Sky have now started showing basically everything on red button? Normally it'd have been available in UK as well, unless it was the Sky Sports featured game, as it's outside the Saturday afternoon/Bank Holiday windows.

If the recent change of policy re: red button has basically put paid to iFollow showing anything live in UK, I'd be quite surprised to see their streaming service continue at all beyond the end of this season.

46 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

On twitter it says it is.

Don't forget, it's £20 tickets for adults in all stands tonight! iFollow will have match commentary (for UK) and stream live (for overseas) but the game will not be available on the red button #swfc

Literally the opposite of what it said on Sky website the other week :duntmatter:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11564120/every-midweek-sky-bet-championship-match-live-on-the-red-button-with-sky-sports

59 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

"No matter which Championship team you support, you can see your team live, in full and with commentary, on every midweek round, either via your television or on your mobile."

This is not a midweek round of fixtures though - this is a weekend round  match which has been rearranged because Wednesday and Brentford were still in the FA Cup. Therefore it isn't on the red button.

Edited by RyanSWFC
  • Thanks 2

Just now, RyanSWFC said:

"No matter which Championship team you support, you can see your team live, in full and with commentary, on every midweek round, either via your television or on your mobile."

This is not a midweek round of fixtures though - this is a weekend round  match which has been rearranged because Wednesday and Brentford were still in the FA Cup. Therefore it isn't on the red button.

True. But I mean...six weeks ago, like...oh stuff it, I give up. :Sid:

25 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

But you can watch the re-arranged QPR v Dirty Leeds game

Its about as consistent as my Mrs is Ifollow