#OnThsDay in 2012

20 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The day our Lord stood proud, thumping his chest with love and affection, knowing he was getting sacked for standing up for his player and calling our then owner a rude name, said same player returned his gratitude as shown in the picture.

All hail his Ginger Greatness.

garymegson

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The day our Lord stood proud, thumping his chest with love and affection, knowing he was getting sacked for standing up for his player and calling our then owner a rude name, said same player returned his gratitude as shown in the picture.

All hail his Ginger Greatness.

Or for being the manager who had blown our promotion hopes by losing 4 previous games

15 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Sadly not, it's well known he called Milan a Serbian C**t after he tried to interfere in team matters.

Megson calling his boss that is a sackable offence in itself.

Milan didnt interfere in team affairs and didnt cause us to lose 4 on the bounce.

Milan hired a better manager to get us promoted.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Megson calling his boss that is a sackable offence in itself.

Milan didnt interfere in team affairs and didnt cause us to lose 4 on the bounce.

Milan hired a better manager to get us promoted.

Better manager my arse. Jones used HIS squad, Antonio (a Megson signing) and the momentum from beating dam blavdes. Left to his own devices Jones would not have got us promoted; just look at what he did after promotion. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Simaniac Owl said:

I agree. 

garymegson

27 minutes ago, Simaniac Owl said:

Better manager my arse. Jones used HIS squad, Antonio (a Megson signing) and the momentum from beating dam blavdes. Left to his own devices Jones would not have got us promoted; just look at what he did after promotion. 

There is non so blind as those who can not see.

31 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Give it a rest 

Megson instilled the pride and belief back in Wednesday - right manager, right time. Showed every player what it should mean to wear the shirt.

Dave Jones finished the job off. 

That's it. 

Whatever people say about Megson he turned the ship around and put the pride and belief back into Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 1

Megson unquestionably did a great job for us. He took over a side under Irvine that was looking more likely to leave Lge One to Lge Two rather than to the Champ. He left a side ready for promotion. Jones took over and  saw it through but left a side going back down to Lge One before Milan acted and gave Gray the job to steady us.

If you look back at the 2012 promotion season the catalyst for the great run was clearly Antonio and early in the season Ben Marshall. The window between Marshall leaving and Antonio arriving was the bad run which was unfortunate for Megson.

I think the moment fans realised things were going to get better was when we brought in Rob Jones and Danny Baath to shore up the defence. There was a moment at half time when we were playing Colchester in the 2010-11 season that the players walked off to a rousing reception which was the start of an improvement on the pitch culminating in promotion the following season.

Jones steered the team over the finish line by relaxing the players. Megson was getting tense.and perhaps that transfered to the players.

Butnthe signing of Antonio and Ched the rippers antics played as big a part in the final run and finish though. Think otherwise and you've been watching too many cartoons. 

Megsons time at the club should be remembered for much more than on the pitch, players and games.  Megson instilled a sense of belief and pride in the club. Made people unashamed to say the name. 

He was a defibrillator to depressed fan base.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Mrs Starling still hasn't forgiven me for going to the game on her birthday. I did try and use the it was Starling Jnr that wanted to go garymegson

Stranegely enough Mrs DunsbyOwl hasn't forgiven me for going to the Wycombe match on 5th May 2012 on her birthday - gets mentioned all the time - 7 years later.  I tried to explain the enormity of the day. Was worth it though.

Please to see the last game of the season this is also falls on the same date !!

• Haha 2