Playoffs Are Possible, But Are They Likley?

When we beat the Blades in 1979 that became known as the boxing day massacre, the Blades were going strong at the top of the league. After that game they sank like a stone, their confidence shattered and found out by the rest of the keague. A repeat would do the trick.

Edited by mark1948
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

8 wins 3 draws 1 defeat from remaining games at a minimum to sneak in to play offs with 74 pts. A bit too much to ask i think but what a waste of a season. That middle run of only 5pts from 10 games will cost us.

That 8,3,1 scenario sounds possible to me. Come April all mid table teams we play are on the beach while we’re still playing with some ambition. Top half bets look good now too. 

We're 6 points off where we would have to be historically for a play-off finish.
We're also 6 points behind the 6th placed team, meaning that the race for play-off places is right on trend.
Making up 6 points doesn't sound that much but we'd need 5 straight wins just to get back on track.
Or to put it another way we need 27 points from the last 12 games  - or 2.25 points per game.

It's a big ask, but nice to finish the season in a chase. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Good thing is we're over the drop threshold already - barring a points deduction  

image.png.3da0e790b1a985198d76e262c68fa272.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

We're 6 points off where we would have to be historically for a play-off finish.
We're also 6 points behind the 6th placed team, meaning that the race for play-off places is right on trend.
Making up 6 points doesn't sound that much but we'd need 5 straight wins just to get back on track.
Or to put it another way we need 27 points from the last 12 games  - or 2.25 points per game.

It's a big ask, but nice to finish the season in a chase. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Good thing is we're over the drop threshold already - barring a points deduction  

image.png.3da0e790b1a985198d76e262c68fa272.png

Unfortunate what a lot of people seem to be failing to take into account is that we're not just 6 points off the playoffs,  our goal difference means that we'd have to make up an additional point. And the team in 6th still have a game in hand over us so we could potentially still be 10 points short of overtaking them. 

2 hours ago, WAWAW said:

8 wins 3 draws 1 defeat from remaining games at a minimum to sneak in to play offs with 74 pts. A bit too much to ask i think but what a waste of a season. That middle run of only 5pts from 10 games will cost us.

Thing is, if Jos had squeaked a few more points out of that run he might still be here...

Shudder.

6 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

No chance.

We’d need to win 9 or 10 games out of 12.

I just hope that the FFP constraints next season don’t completely hamstring Bruce, as I think we’ve got the right man.

I thought this but not so sure - Derby and Bristol City look a bit shaky and that last spot is still, just, up for grabs.

..we are just in touch but no margin for error

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

That 8,3,1 scenario sounds possible to me. Come April all mid table teams we play are on the beach while we’re still playing with some ambition. Top half bets look good now too. 

4 of the 5 teams we play in April are above us so they will just as likely have something to play for than us. 

I'm still not really thinking about the play-offs, it's just nice to be enjoying my football again after watching garbage for what seems like ages. It's also nice to be heading into the Sheffield derby with a little bit of hope rather than an impending sense of doom as I was earlier this season.

I said when Bruce came in, if we can finish in the top 10 and beat the Ched Scrubbers, it'll have been a good end to the season and provide us with renewed optimism going into next season and I still believe that now.