Westwood.

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Our upturn is more the fact we don't pass the ball around the back 4 putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure anymore like we did under Jos.

true, we nearly slipped into that pattern again yesterday in some stages, when hutch slipped and nearly let them clean through. They've got to be more positive and just go forward more with the passes.

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Absolute bollarks to those saying our upturn in form isn’t largely down to Westwood 

He’s pulled off some vital stops, marshalled the defence 

Some people really do underrate the off the ball stuff. Same with Hutch, because of how he plays the game,  he forces us to play further up the field 

marshalled the defence..nail on head,spot on

You can't put a price on experience. 

At 34, Westwood may not be quite as agile as he once was...but his ability to organise and bring confidence to the backline is priceless. 

We need him and I hope we are able to keep hold in the summer..

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Our upturn is more the fact we don't pass the ball around the back 4 putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure anymore like we did under Jos.

This is the major change for up turn in fortunes. 

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

At 34, Westwood may not be quite as agile as he once was...but his ability to organise and bring confidence to the backline is priceless. 

Agree with this, I actually think time out of side has helped heal some of niggling injuries he had which had impaired his form last season. With a few games under his belt is showing best form for over 2 seasons.

9 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Down to 2 defensive changes Westwood back in nets and Hutchinson as defensive midfielder. Turned us round from soft touches to an organised unit.

Hutchinson has made the greatest difference, along with change of tactics. You only have to look at reduction in shot count the opposition had at us prior to Jos going and since he left. 

Despite us winning 3-1 yesterday, Westwood was not happy. He pulled Matias to one side at the end and it was obvious from his gestures he was telling Matias he could’ve done better tracking back to help stop their goal going in.

That, in a nutshell, explains the secret to Westwood’s success, organising and helping improve, what is going on in front of him defensively.

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Maybe it is coincidence since his return or not but the amount of clean sheets he’s had to games since he’s been which is over 150 appearances has got to be up there with the best in the country and the best in our history 

Fans like him he’s been here a while too

the two young keepers too have plenty of time to still learn and play and one definately should be out on loan 

i would 100% retain Westwood 

Think he averages a clean sheet around every 3 games pal.

I think the move to a settled formation and largely the same personnel each week has been the biggest factor, as well as getting rid of Jos and reinstating Hutch in front of the back four. But Westwood too has got to have played a big part. 

I was clamouring for his return and I’d be all for giving him another year, maybe two, if finances allow. 

The fans love him, he loves it here, the defence is solid - why on earth would you change anything? 

9 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don’t think people wanted Westwood to go due to ability. People said if we need to raise money/reduce the wage bill, then allowing Westwood to leave would be an option with having 2 good young GK’s already here.

Big difference is that!

Plus, he wasn't even playing. No point in holding on to him if he's not on the first team. 

I don't think anyone for a moment imagined Dawson was the better player.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

34 should see a goalkeeper at his peak. I.e. Shilton, Seaman, Buffon etc

16 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Since his return to the starting 11 we have had a massive uptake in results, form and goals conceded.

My question, is this coincidence or has he played a part in this, if so how many people who wrote him off think he needs a new deal.

I've always stated he is hugely important to our plans and is more than deserving of a new deal.

You won't get a better keeper at this level.

I think it was only a minority that wrote him off and to be fair to them, I think this was based on misinformation and maybe conjecture coming from various quarters - if people are told enough times that someone is finished then some or all will believe what is being said. 

In terms of a new contract, it’s a bit of a no brainer in my opinion. Westwood might not be solely responsible for our upturn in results but he has contributed significantly. He deserves a new contract.

I understand the argument about his wages but we have a glut of deadwood outfield players at this club that either contribute little or not at all but only one proven keeper and that keeper is doing the business - it would cost money to buy a keeper to replace Westwood and whoever came in may want a similar salary. Keep Westwood and get rid of the deadwood outfield players. 

7 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Despite us winning 3-1 yesterday, Westwood was not happy. He pulled Matias to one side at the end and it was obvious from his gestures he was telling Matias he could’ve done better tracking back to help stop their goal going in.

That, in a nutshell, explains the secret to Westwood’s success, organising and helping improve, what is going on in front of him defensively.

I said similar to my mate a the match yesterday. I think maybe the outfield players work a little harder defensively to avoid a roasting from Westwood - I mean, would you argue back? He’s a fvvcking unit and appears to fear no one. How many times have we seen Westwood charge 5 or 10 yards out of the 18-yard box to give one of his teammates a dressing down? Bloody hundreds of times! 

9 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

This, everyone saw yesterday what happens when a mid table championship club tries to play like Barcelona and play around on the 18 yard line