Westwood.

Since his return to the starting 11 we have had a massive uptake in results, form and goals conceded.

My question, is this coincidence or has he played a part in this, if so how many people who wrote him off think he needs a new deal.

I've always stated he is hugely important to our plans and is more than deserving of a new deal.

You won't get a better keeper at this level.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 7

Some of the turnaround may be down to Westwood. I'm sure he infused confidence in the defence when he returned to the fold.

However most of the turnaround is down to Dross being given the shove and subsequently Bullen and the 3 Steve's restoring some belief and sensibility to the squad. 

I'd certainly look to keep Westwood. Whether that'd be on a year long rolling, or 2/3 year contract I'm not sure. He's still one of the best keepers in the league IMO. 

However it'd be interesting to see how Dawson and Wildsmith (who I still rate above Dawson) might perform in the current side, given it's playing with much more assuredness at the back. 

Edited by Ginner
  • Like 1

I was never comfortable with the attacks on a Young keeper just because Westwood wasn’t playing. 

We should offer him a new deal but if he wants to stay it will  have to be on reduced terms 

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Since his return to the starting 11 we have had a massive uptake in results, form and goals conceded.

My question, is this coincidence or has he played a part in this, if so how many people who wrote him off think he needs a new deal.

I've always stated he is hugely important to our plans and is more than deserving of a new deal.

You won't get a better keeper at this level.

At the end of last season there were many fans, with quite a few on here, wanting Westwood to go 

and then just to rely on the two young lads - to me, that was just ridiculous then, as it is now.

You need three good keepers to get you through a season and we've got three really good ones.

From of the players out of contract at the end of the season, KW is one I'd definitely re-sign.

We've had some great keepers since I've been going and he's one of the best.

I think folk, but particularly Jos simply did not understand that a keeper organises his defence and that Dawson was a long way behind in that respect. If there was not a keeper sat twiddling his thumbs that we all knew could do this then the world will be different.

When Dawson does take over the reigns properly I am sure Wednesday fans will be totally behind him 

Absolute bollarks to those saying our upturn in form isn’t largely down to Westwood 

He’s pulled off some vital stops, marshalled the defence 

Some people really do underrate the off the ball stuff. Same with Hutch, because of how he plays the game,  he forces us to play further up the field 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ginner said:

Some of the turnaround may be down to Westwood. I'm sure he infused confidence in the defence when he returned to the fold.

However most of the turnaround is down to Dross being given the shove and subsequently Bullen and the 3 Steve's restoring some belief and sensibility to the squad. 

I'd certainly look to keep Westwood. Whether that'd be on a year long rolling, or 2/3 year contract I'm not sure. He's still one of the best keepers in the league IMO. 

However it'd be interesting to see how Dawson and Wildsmith (who I still rate above Dawson) might perform in the current side, given it's playing with much more assuredness at the back. 

Why are we going even near that subject?

both of these proved that they are no where near ready for 46 championship games.

Get Westy on a new contract which I am positive he would sign.

That by the way was our sides best half display this season by a mile

Edited by owlsdreamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it is coincidence since his return or not but the amount of clean sheets he’s had to games since he’s been which is over 150 appearances has got to be up there with the best in the country and the best in our history 

Fans like him he’s been here a while too

the two young keepers too have plenty of time to still learn and play and one definately should be out on loan 

i would 100% retain Westwood 

9 minutes ago, owlsdreamer said:

Why are we going even near that subject?

both of these proved that they are no where near ready for 46 championship games.

Get Westy on a new contract which I am positive he would sign.

That by the way was our sides best half display this season by a mile

Year away on loan for both if possible. Bring in an aging back up keeper (maybe doing coaching qualifications) for the bench who's happy to play now and again when needed

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don’t think people wanted Westwood to go due to ability. People said if we need to raise money/reduce the wage bill, then allowing Westwood to leave would be an option with having 2 good young GK’s already here.

Big difference is that!

A lot said he was past it, he’s always injured, at fault for this goal and that.  That Jos was right dropping the most experienced players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s definitely worth another year.

Dawson and Wildsmith are both very talented young keepers and their time will come but Westwood just seems to add a calming influence on the back line and he is still a very good keeper.

Next season is still have Westwood as number 1, Dawson as his deputy and Wildsmith out on loan to a top end League 1 club. It’d be the season after I’d be looking to bring the young keepers through

24 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Haven't you got the ironing to do?

I'm kidding :biggrin:

Iol It did sound a bit needy but it is true. 

Got a reyt pile of ironing actually better get it done. :biggrin:

Westwood's form last season was far from his best, but he's done brilliantly since returning from exile in recent months. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, perhaps a period away from regular football to fully recuperate might be just what he needed to rediscover his best form? Hopefully we're in a position to offer him a new contract which is acceptable to him, as he's a proven player at this level and we'd struggle to replace him. The thought of allowing a player of his quality to walk away for free is ridiculous, really.

Having said that, I thought the treatment of Dawson by some of our fanbase was nothing short of embarrassing. I understand the point they were trying to make, but to chant for Westwood during a game whilst Dawson was out on the pitch doing his best for our club was misguided at best. Dawson equipped himself well in his appearances for us: he looked a bit shaky on some crosses, but he also pulled off some great saves and kept us in games when a weaker 'keeper would have seen us fall behind. It can't have been easy for a young 'keeper playing in a side which was lacking in confidence, organisation and consistency across the team. If Westwood succumbs to injury again, I'd back Dawson to be able to step into a better-organised team and perform ably in his stead.

• Thanks 1