Baffling Substitutions

We were playing the best football we have played since Wembley (certainly entertainment wise ) until we went with 3 centre halves . It’s funny , when we put an extra defender on , we never looked like scoring , and looked a whole lot more like conceding (which we did ) . Negative tactics is never last two out of their depth managers proved that. 

Top result non the less 

Don't really get the big hissy fit over the subs. We were 3 nil up in what essentially is a nothing game and Bruce obviously wanted to try a few things and also make sure players are as fresh as possible for the next 2 games. Absolutely fine isn't it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cowl said:

It was too many changes all at once. Not just the change of personnel, but where they were playing and the formation tweaks. It's dangerous stuff and when Swansea went close twice to getting it back to 3-2 (with still ten minutes to go), I doubt anyone would say we were home and dry.

Players took knocks and were knackered tho ...do you leave them on with fresh legs on the bench?

The players had run out of steam on 60 minutes. Swansea were able to pass there way out, Bruce was just trying to kill the game off at 3-0. 

Fans have to show a bit of patience at times, if they want a high press no team and do it for 90 minutes, especially without a pre season to work on it. 

Problem is doesn't matter how long you have supported Wednesday we have all seen us snatch draws from the jaws of victory. West Brom at home this season where strange substitutions actually cost us.

We must be the only fans at 3 -1 up that groan when 5 mins of added time goes up. 

26 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Is this a forum where folk give their views on things?

It’s certainly the forum where people understand the game better and know more than a manager who’s just been responsible for our best performance in nearly two seasons and who’s won promotion from this division on a mere four occasions!

Edited by casbahowl

Guest Bulgaria
11 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

It’s certainly the forum where people understand the game better and know more than a manager who’s just been responsible for our best performance in nearly two seasons and who’s won promotion from this division on a mere four occasions!

You mean like every other football forum all over the world?

I doubt for one minute fans are not delighted we won yesterday but there's nothing wrong in discussing the negatives as well as the positives.

10 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Now don't get me wrong, the first half today was the best we've seen for a long time but 2 of Bruce's subs were completely baffling. Palmer has come on leaps and bounds since Jos left and although I have doubts whether he is good enough for a promotion chasing team he has looked significantly better at right back recently. To take Joao off for Iorfa was bizarre especially when retaining 4-4-2 and Palmer looked totally lost at right midfield. Iorfa appears in a 25 minute spell to have more attacking instinct and quality than Palmer so him right mid would have made more sense. If he'd switched to 3 at the back it would have made a little more sense with Palmer and the outstanding Achraf playing wing backs (although this would have caused an issue for where Aaron's would have played). Then to substitute Fletcher for Joey was equally as puzzling leaving us with no natural forward on the pitch. 

I've got to agree with you, thought it was a bizarre sub and mainly the re jig in players / formation and I didn't think Swansea were causing us too much trouble until the changes. I'm not Palmer's biggest fan but thought he was playing really well at right back yesterday, probably the best all round game I've seen him have, to switch him to right mid and Reach central did us no favours imo. Where I would differ is that I thought Joao was playing deeper than as an out an out  striker in a 442, and by consequence we were at times either 4411, 433, 442. We to my mind actually looked pretty fluid and didn't just move in straight lines for once...until the change.  

I think Bruce but tried to keep the same formation but we ended up 451, the strange thing is though that if Bruce wanted to keep the same formation then he could have just replaced Joao with MM and saved the need for the re rig. Maybe he did want to change it to 451 and shut up shop? 

Just now, Bulgaria said:

I doubt for one minute fans are not delighted we won yesterday but there's nothing wrong in discussing the negatives as well as the positives.

No not like any other football forum all over the world.

This is Owlstalk where a loud minority delight in highlighting the negatives above the positives.

Guest Bulgaria
1 minute ago, casbahowl said:

No not like any other football forum all over the world.

This is Owlstalk where a loud minority delight in highlighting the negatives above the positives.

Geeoaawww.

Is that how it's spelt?

Baffling substitutions? It was managing the game out correctly.

Iorfa needed minutes and João was playing poorly, clearly wanted that extra man in midfield so we move Reach inside, Palmer wide right and we really shut off the the right side.

Then Aaron’s was really struggling with cramp so Bruce made a like for like change with Matias coming on, however Matias was leaving our left heavily exposed, see Bannan tearing into him after the Swansea goal? Bruce also noticed this straight away and put Joey in for the brilliant Fletcher who had ran himself into the ground! Moving Reach wide left to better cover Lazaar and what do you know worked brilliantly. Matias did him self no favours yesterday, I assume Fletcher would have originally come off for Nuhiu at some point had Matias been playing wide left correctly, could see Bruce constantly getting on at Matias 

1 hour ago, Bulgaria said:

Can see where you're coming from regarding discussing it but im convinced people on here and at the match malfunction when they cant find anything to complain about.

Some of the fans near me were complaining about Reach yesterday who had clearly ran his socks off, usually those fans are stupidly thick people though so a bit of sympathy is needed for them.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Baffling substitutions? It was managing the game out correctly.

Iorfa needed minutes and João was playing poorly, clearly wanted that extra man in midfield so we move Reach inside, Palmer wide right and we really shut off the the right side.

Then Aaron’s was really struggling with cramp so Bruce made a like for like change with Matias coming on, however Matias was leaving our left heavily exposed, see Bannan tearing into him after the Swansea goal? Bruce also noticed this straight away and put Joey in for the brilliant Fletcher who had ran himself into the ground! Moving Reach wide left to better cover Lazaar and what do you know worked brilliantly. Matias did him self no favours yesterday, I assume Fletcher would have originally come off for Nuhiu at some point had Matias been playing wide left correctly, could see Bruce constantly getting on at Matias 

In a nutshell

Thank you.

2 hours ago, mkowl said:

Problem is doesn't matter how long you have supported Wednesday we have all seen us snatch draws from the jaws of victory. West Brom at home this season where strange substitutions actually cost us.

We must be the only fans at 3 -1 up that groan when 5 mins of added time goes up. 

I still worry at 3-0 up, having seen us blow a 3-0 lead 4 times before it's ingrained into you even when the last time was 26 years ago!

When they brought Routledge on at half time I was having Paul Canoville flashbacks... 

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
26 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I still worry at 3-0 up, having seen us blow a 3-0 lead 4 times before it's ingrained into you even when the last time was 26 years ago!

When they brought Routledge on at half time I was having Paul Canoville flashbacks... 

What are the 4?

Can think of the Chelsea game but not the others.

Maybe before my time!

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

Can see where you're coming from regarding discussing it but im convinced people on here and at the match malfunction when they cant find anything to complain about.

Some of the fans near me were complaining about Reach yesterday who had clearly ran his socks off, usually those fans are stupidly thick people though so a bit of sympathy is needed for them.

Fair enough.

Just now, Bulgaria said:

What are the 4?

Can think of the Chelsea game but not the others.

Maybe before my time!

Chelsea 1985, 3-0 up at HT then 4-3 down and drew 4-4

Arsenal around 1987, Man Utd on Boxing Day 1992 and Norwich around August/Sep 1993, 3-0 up and drew 3-3 in all of those. All in home games as well.