Baffling Substitutions

Now don't get me wrong, the first half today was the best we've seen for a long time but 2 of Bruce's subs were completely baffling. Palmer has come on leaps and bounds since Jos left and although I have doubts whether he is good enough for a promotion chasing team he has looked significantly better at right back recently. To take Joao off for Iorfa was bizarre especially when retaining 4-4-2 and Palmer looked totally lost at right midfield. Iorfa appears in a 25 minute spell to have more attacking instinct and quality than Palmer so him right mid would have made more sense. If he'd switched to 3 at the back it would have made a little more sense with Palmer and the outstanding Achraf playing wing backs (although this would have caused an issue for where Aaron's would have played). Then to substitute Fletcher for Joey was equally as puzzling leaving us with no natural forward on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, damianb1 said:

Now don't get me wrong, the first half today was the best we've seen for a long time but 2 of Bruce's subs were completely baffling. Palmer has come on leaps and bounds since Jos left and although I have doubts whether he is good enough for a promotion chasing team he has looked significantly better at right back recently. To take Joao off for Iorfa was bizarre especially when retaining 4-4-2 and Palmer looked totally lost at right midfield. Iorfa appears in a 25 minute spell to have more attacking instinct and quality than Palmer so him right mid would have made more sense. If he'd switched to 3 at the back it would have made a little more sense with Palmer and the outstanding Achraf playing wing backs (although this would have caused an issue for where Aaron's would have played). Then to substitute Fletcher for Joey was equally as puzzling leaving us with no natural forward on the pitch. 

We didn't retain 442 we went to 451. Reach went centre mid to give more numbers. 

On balance I'm gonna stick with Bruce over you sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Peacenocchio said:

We didn't retain 442 we went to 451. Reach went centre mid to give more numbers. 

And to just shut the game down with a 3 goal cushion. Made sense to me. We’d lost a little control of the game so why not just take the 3 points

3 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

We didn't  go to 4-5-1 at all. Iorfa was right back and Lachraf left back. Actually it was probably more 4-4-1-1 with reach behind fletcher.

Edited by damianb1
  • Haha 2

I dont know but when Matias moved central and Reach moved over to the left we plugged the gaping hole that was winding Bannan up so much. He was about to rip Matias's head off for not defending the space in front of Lazaar.

Edited by clud17

Certainly two of the subs could be explained and agreed with. Joao, despite his protestations , had asked earlier for subbing, and had run his race anyway. He was knackered. As for Fletcher, he never really recovered from his nasty fall and appeared to be carrying an injury.

Some of the players were shot, ran their socks off, Reach was one of them.

What a debut by Lazaar tho and Iorfa looks class.

Hector looked recovered from Rotherham.

Trust in Bruce ...great win and was refreshing to see him barking orders even at 3 up whilst Jos wudda been deep in his cave.

Its gunna take time but with Bruce hopefully it will work..hes been here 5 mins and already hes got pace that weve needed for years.

• Like 1

I don't know if it was the players or Bruce, but I thought our game management in the second half wasn't particularly impressive.

After what was an excellent first half, and the best in some time, you could expect a foot-off-the-pedal approach to the second half, but when we broke up what had been a very effective combination of Reach and Palmer down the right (in bringing Iorfa on for João), we had two players that had both been having good games all of a sudden looking lost, and we also had a somewhat toothless looking attack.

It just seemed to set the tone amongst the players that your jobs have been done and now we're going to change three or four things at once and see how it looks, as though it were a training game.

By the time Swansea had missed a few good chances to get it back to 3-2, I was looking forward to the final whistle. It took a lot of the gloss off what had otherwise been a very strong and promising performance in that first half.

47 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Whilst you’re right on formation. It was still a baffling change. Things were going well so why not go like for like.