Bruce interview post match

Sheffield Wednesday boss Steve Bruce told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"The way they did their job in the first half, the game plan worked. Second half, it's fair to say we ran out of juice a little bit. When you play like we did in the first half, it takes a lot out of you.

"There's been a few sick in the last week, we've got 10 injuries, so in that respect the lads have done very, very well. The effort was there for everybody to see - some of them hadn't played for a long time. (Achraf) Lazaar, for example and Rolando (Aarons) hadn't played for months, so it was good to see them enjoy their debuts.

"I was absolutely delighted for him (Lazaar). He's been out in the cold at Newcastle for such a long time and we'd seen him in the U23s at West Brom a few weeks ago and thought 'wow, what a good player this kid is' - he's got a lovely left foot, a nice balance about him and he's determined. We just have to get him up to speed.

"When you get someone on loan, who hasn't kicked a ball for practically 18 months, you know it's a risk. But I thought it was well worth it."

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

So Boyd has flu and Fox had a back spasm.

So we will never know if the two Newcastle lads would have been selected without those problems.

Might have had a bit of luck there 

God how much better we look with these new lads in. Their place to lose now, they offer so much more.

First sub was odd though, especially in how we rejigged a few around. Would've liked to hear the answer to that.

Edited by swfc-dan

45 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

So Boyd has flu and Fox had a back spasm.

So we will never know if the two Newcastle lads would have been selected without those problems.

Might have had a bit of luck there 

Or maybe it's good man management?

Rather than "dropping" them, we have illness & an injury.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’m guessing...

Boyd

Fox

Thornley

Lee

Abdi

Penney

Hooper

Winnall

Can't think of the last 2.

I was thinking maybe van Aken (since he went off in an U23 match recently) and perhaps Forestieri too was included (despite only being suspended rather than injured).

Has Fox actually picked up an injury though? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

25 minutes ago, cowl said:

I was thinking maybe van Aken (since he went off in an U23 match recently) and perhaps Forestieri too was included (despite only being suspended rather than injured).

Has Fox actually picked up an injury though? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere.

Back spasm.

• Thanks 1