Iorfa is definitely a centre-half

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

he did ok when he came on …….I didn't see anything to suggest that he's a better centre back then lees though . 

Agreed; nor did we see anything to suggest he’s a better full back than Palmer.  It very much appeared that Iorfa was brought on at right back and Palmer was pushed forward to right midfield to bring a bit of defensive stability to our side after Swansea started to get a foothold in the game. 

I thnk Iorfa looks a great player but I suspect he’ll not get a real chance until we get an injury at centre-half or right fullback (assuming that Baker is out of the picture) or we go to three centre-halves. 

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

Agreed; nor did we see anything to suggest he’s a better full back than Palmer.  It very much appeared that Iorfa was brought on at right back and Palmer was pushed forward to right midfield to bring a bit of defensive stability to our side after Swansea started to get a foothold in the game. 

I thnk Iorfa looks a great player but I suspect he’ll not get a real chance until we get an injury at centre-half or right fullback (assuming that Baker is out of the picture) or we go to three centre-halves. 

He’ll be first choice RB for very long time to come as will, hopefully, Lazaar at LB.

Both positions have been in need of major improvement for a long time and it’s no surprise the new management team recognised this and made it their first priority!

3 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

He’ll be first choice RB for very long time to come as will, hopefully, Lazaar at LB.

Both positions have been in need of major improvement for a long time and it’s no surprise the new management team recognised this and made it their first priority!

Let’s see. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lazaar keeps his place but I doubt Palmer is going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Let’s see. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lazaar keeps his place but I doubt Palmer is going anywhere. 

I would be extremely surprised if Palmer’s still here next season. 

He’s out of contract and I can’t see him getting another.

SB keeps alluding to the squad being far too big, massive clear out coming in the summer with probably only Westwood getting a new contract.

9 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Palmer has been doing very well but when Iorfa came on I thought he added another dimension to our play today.

He’s like an upgrade on Reda Johnson, he’s fast, powerful, looked solid defensively and can run at players.

Going forward is quite like to see Palmer on the right of midfield with Iorfa at rightback.

Also if you think back to when we were playing JJ and Antonio up front, for goal kicks we used to put Reda up front, paint Helan slotting back into left back just for the goal kick to give us more height and we could do this with Iorfa with Palmer covering at rightback just to give us another option in attack.

Agree with that but not Palmer at right mid. Palmer looked very good at right back yesterday, but not so good when at right mid. The two weakest parts of Palmer's game are when he switches off (he seems to have remedied that lately) and he is not too good in the attacking third. We have far better options than Palmer at right mid imo. 

That burst of pure pace from Iorfa down towards the Kop was something that we have been missing for ages and although it's early days but with the other new lad at left back we do seem a better balanced team. 

14 hours ago, casbahowl said:

He’s not picking the side though pal

Agreed but Bruce has said he has been tracking him for 2 years and was surprised he was shut out at Wolves. I would suggest they had a conversation about his preferred position before he joined. Also when Hector leaves we are going to need someone there better than Thorniley. 

4 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Agreed but Bruce has said he has been tracking him for 2 years and was surprised he was shut out at Wolves. I would suggest they had a conversation about his preferred position before he joined. Also when Hector leaves we are going to need someone there better than Thorniley. 

Wouldn’t be too sure on Hector leaving.

7 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Wouldn’t be too sure on Hector leaving.

Hope you are right on that but not sure where you think we will get money from as I think we will be in embargo before the season finishes. 

Either way, Iorfa at CB in a back 2 or 3 is fine by me. 

Reminds me of reda 

shouldn’t be as effective as he his going forwards it looks a little unconftable but still effective 

I like him age, experience, cost and attributes. Steve Bruce has done superb there.

van Aken 3-5 million 

iorfa 500k

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

I would be extremely surprised if Palmer’s still here next season. 

He’s out of contract and I can’t see him getting another.

SB keeps alluding to the squad being far too big, massive clear out coming in the summer with probably only Westwood getting a new contract.

I don't get this. Surely if we release Palmer then we'd need to sign another to replace him (2 for each position) as we would only have Iorfa to play there. Im not including baker cos i do believe hes out of contract too and I just don't rate him. So we'd be foolish not to offer Palmer a new deal as it would cost more money to get someone else in, Palmer won't be on big wages either.

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Not sure we'll be able to take Lazaar permanently.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

12 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

Just looked exactly like Carlton palmer.... gerhim int middle ot park. 

Thought he looked more like Viv Anderson. If he turns out half as good as either of those 2 we'll have signed a reyt player. 

What I find funny is the usual Palmer detractors have to increase their anti - Palmer post count in an attempt to overcome the fact that the majority can now see what a good player he is. 

Thankfully it is just the odd poster now. 

I am glad he is finally winning over the fan base, he deserves it. 

• Haha 2

For the money we reportedly paid I think he’s a great acquisition as he can play both positions. He had a whole Championship season at RB with Ipswich did he not? His pace and height can only be a good thing at CB but probably only with a wiser more organised head next to him.

40 minutes ago, Nut said:

Thought he looked more like Viv Anderson. If he turns out half as good as either of those 2 we'll have signed a reyt player. 

Followed him for a while and hoped we'd sign him 

Yep reminded me of a young Viv !

Seem to remember he could play in both positions too?

Think he will become the marauding athletic full back we've needed, bit like when Bruce had Odubajo at Hull in same role