• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Joao
    • Aarons
    • Matias
    • Iorfa
    • Pelupessy

Guest LittleG

Lazaar, Hutch, Fletcher  BB and Reach (for his goals), hard to choose between them. Would  have included Palmer but faded a bit when he was moved to right midfield. Better performance from Hector and Matias is a waste of space

Lazaar read the game better than anyone I’ve seen for the past 3 years.

Hector was fantastic.

Aarons and Iorfa look class and need to settle in

Wedtwood is Westwood and should have been in goal all season.

Fletcher great goal but goes out wide too much...stay between the sticks and score 20 a season.

Reach is getting better and better...took goals really well.

Palmer did ok as did Hutch and Bannon...

The rest...Meh 5/10

Great deal if consistency in the comments underlines a fine team performance.  Interesting to see Hutchinson pushing further forward and definitely MOM. Left side if the field looked much more compact and gives the other defenders more confidence.

Also feel an interesting difference since Bruce cane is the talking between the players which clearly demonstrates a different attitude.

Fantastic performance all round apart from maybe going too negative for the last 20 minutes but it worked to be fair. Lazaar man of the match for me especially to say it was his debut, didn’t put a foot wrong.

Westwood 7

Palmer 7

Lees 7 

Hector 8

Lazaar 9

Reach 8

Aarons 7 

Bannan 7

Hutchinson 8

Joao 6

Fletcher 7

Westwood  8-       Great saves, gives confidence to back 4

Palmer 8-             well done another great performance

Lazaar 9-             Superb, great defending, great attacking, great crossing - would he come back next year on loan?

Lees  8                looked solid

Hector  8             back to usual best

Reach 8              Looking good and two superb goals

Bannan 7            Still looking for more from him

Hutchinson 9      apart from the slip he played like a premier player, hope he keeps fit

Joao  5               Very little, not sure what the problem is   

Fletcher 8           Glad he got a goal, did so much work for the team

Arrans   7           At last someone with pace, looked tired later on

Matias 5             Missed his opportunity to impress

Joey    6             Looked busy

Would replace Joao with FF for next game

They were a very good possession team and we worked really hard to make sure most of the passing was in their half. 

Second half we got tired and Bruce realised we weren’t capable of keeping up the high pressing so tried to shut up shop.

Probably as good a game as Hutch has had for us but I would give it Lazaar simply because it was his first real competitive game for so long and he made such a big difference to that position 

17 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Westwood  8-       Great saves, gives confidence to back 4

Palmer 8-             well done another great performance

Lazaar 9-             Superb, great defending, great attacking, great crossing - would he come back next year on loan?

Lees  8                looked solid

Hector  8             back to usual best

Reach 8              Looking good and two superb goals

Bannan 7            Still looking for more from him

Hutchinson 9      apart from the slip he played like a premier player, hope he keeps fit

Joao  5               Very little, not sure what the problem is   

Fletcher 8           Glad he got a goal, did so much work for the team

Arrans   7           At last someone with pace, looked tired later on

Matias 5             Missed his opportunity to impress

Joey    6             Looked busy

Would replace Joao with FF for next game

Joao and Fletch was our front two for our best half of the season, and we scored three.

Why would you split it up for a FF-Fletch front two which has never worked?

Westwood - 7 - Couple of smart, albeit routine saves. Otherwise a fairly quiet day, no threat posed from Swansea aerially. 

Palmer - 7 - Had a really good game at full back, showed great energy to get up and down, and used the ball well. Unsure what we gained by moving him into midfield, but good legs shown late on to burst past Naughton and put the ball across for Matias to tee up Pelupessy.

Lees - 7 - On the whole, defended well. Although Swansea created little threat, especially in the 1st half, both centre halves had to be willing to follow McBurnie into the deep areas to ensure the press could be carried out. Judged it perfectly for the most part, and as a result suffocated Swansea to an inch of their life. Lack of concentration and sloppiness on the ball in the 2nd half, which could've been capitalised on. 

Hector - 7 - Similar to Lees really, but with slightly more effectiveness. Was strong up against McBurnie, and anticipated his movement superbly. 

Lazaar - 8 - Man of the Match - What a fantastic debut. I was a tad concerned early on that he was nipping in front too often, and he'd eventually get caught out. How wrong was I?! Anticipated everything brilliantly, was strong in the tackle, showed an abundance of energy, and a couple of really dangerous balls into the box. He's an athlete who loves to defend. Hopefully there's a lot more of that to come. 

Hutchinson - 7 - His pressing was first class today. He seemed to be the lead, and when he went, others did also. As a result, played a lot higher up, which meant our turnovers happened in dangerous areas. Guilty of two really sloppy bits of play in the 1st half however, where he was thankful for some good defending to avert the danger. 

Bannan - 7 - Much more like it. Played at a quicker pace, looked to play through the lines more (a lot less sideways and backwards passing today). Key player alongside Hutchinson in initiating the press and ensure those channels through the middle were closed down.

Reach - 8 - Took both of his goals really well, especially the 2nd one. And I suppose it's those types of goals that justify playing him on the "wrong" side. Still think he'd be more of a genuine threat on the left however. That side, linked up with Palmer really well, showed good quality. Got lost a bit 2nd half when moved into the No. 10 position, he's neither here or there when playing that role. 

Aarons - 7 - Exciting, tricky, direct. We've not had a player like that since Antonio and JJ. Think he can still improve, and I'm sure there's a lot more to come. But good awareness for the 1st goal, and caused Roberts, their left back, a headache throughout. 

Joao - 7 - Much better display from him today. Looked after the ball well and linked up much better than he did do last week at Rotherham. Rightly disappointed to be substituted...he'd have thought there were goals in it for him today. 

Fletcher - 8 - Another impressive performance leading the line. Took his goal superbly, but occupied Swansea's centre halves and never gave them a minute. 

Iorfa - 7 - A very decent introduction. Defended aggressively and well up against James, but showed a brilliant burst of pace to get down the line also. He's a unit, and I'm sure he'll become a regular for many years to come. 

Matias - 5 - Almost everything Matias tried to do today, didn't come off. Poor touch following Swansea's keeper's howler, couple of poor decisions when breaking and switching off completely for Swansea's goal. But, he's a creative player, and we don't have too many of those. Give me Matias over Boyd any day of the week. 

Pelupessy - N/A - Not on long enough to make too much of an impact, but shored the midfield up late on and was lucky with the strike in the last minute. 

Overall...

A brilliant 1st half...against a team of mindless idiots. Wednesday had done their homework, pressed high, stopped the ball out from the goalkeeper, and squeezed Swansea to death. Why they continued to play in a way which were causing every single one of their problems, I've no idea. But Wednesday took full advantage of it, and deservedly so. Long time since I can remember a 1st half performance played at such a high tempo, and it was great to watch. Yeah, we played some nice stuff...but it was the fact that we played football with an intensity and a purpose that made it mightily effective. 

2nd half...meh. Job was just about done at half time, and barring the odd lapse of concentration, Swansea huffed and puffed without too much vigour. But, I think we simply ran out of legs...and this is the crux of Bruce's problem. If he wants us to play football like we did in the 1st half...this squad needs a overhaul, because too many players can't do it over the course of 90 minutes...never mind a 46 game gruelling season. 

No surprise though for me, that in a very impressive performance on the whole, all three new signings had a positive impact upon it. It's a sign of things to come. If Bruce gets the opportunity to shape the squad like he wants to, we'll be a squad full of strong athletes who can cope with those demands. And if he does, we'll have a Wednesday team that we'll enjoy watching again. 

As a final comment, I was a tad concerned/perplexed by Bruce's substitutions today. I accept at 3-0 up and cruising, you can afford to experiment. But no manager in their right mind would consider playing Palmer in midfield long term. And why go essentially strikerless when substituting Fletcher, when Nuhiu was on the bench? Just hope it's not a sign of things to come...all those substitutions had negative impacts on our shape or performance. Hopefully I'm reading too much into it... 

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Joao and Fletch was our front two for our best half of the season, and we scored three.

Why would you split it up for a FF-Fletch front two which has never worked?

I agree with you why change it but at the moment like today we only had nuhiu and matias on the bench and both are not good enough, Joao coming off the bench is a million times better than Matias