Abdi - could it be?

14 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Abdi should be no where near the matchday squad again.

Firstly, is he match fit? I'd guess Hooper is as near match fitness as Abdi. Abdi needs a month of U23 games before first team games.

So at the end of March, Abdi is ready for his long awaited come back. Hopefully, relegation concerns have disappeared. Almost certainly, play off hopes have gone too. So not going up, not going down, then why play him? If he's rubbish, we've wasted an opportunity to give game time to a long term Wednesday player. If he's superb, well, do we give him a new contract? Surely not. Please, let's not even risk getting into a position of needing to consider keeping him beyond the summer.

Bruce has promised everyone they’ll be given a chance. 

If he shows a good attitude in training and is fit, why not give him a chance? 

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

What the hell happened to him. Before we signed him he had been regarded as one of the best midfield players in the championship. We sign him and it all goes to poo . 

We / Carlos are partly to blame imo. Not saying the lad hasn’t had a poor attitude since or anything, I don’t know that. But when he first arrived he was shoe horned into a midfield of Bannan and Lee. Was made to play on the wing and as a defensive midfielder, it didn’t work out and Carlos dropped him citing a “lack of pre season”. He never really got into the team after that. Injuries have also played a part. 

We never really made it work for him. We should have built our midfield around him. Trouble is that might have meant Bannan losing his place - something that Carlos clearly didn’t want.

22 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Bruce has promised everyone they’ll be given a chance. 

If he shows a good attitude in training and is fit, why not give him a chance? 

We / Carlos are partly to blame imo. Not saying the lad hasn’t had a poor attitude since or anything, I don’t know that. But when he first arrived he was shoe horned into a midfield of Bannan and Lee. Was made to play on the wing and as a defensive midfielder, it didn’t work out and Carlos dropped him citing a “lack of pre season”. He never really got into the team after that. Injuries have also played a part. 

We never really made it work for him. We should have built our midfield around him. Trouble is that might have meant Bannan losing his place - something that Carlos clearly didn’t want.

I agree that there's probably more to Abdi's disappointing time with us than just his bad attitude, but it's too late to give him a chance. What's the point in playing him except perhaps to help him get a contract elsewhere?

Abdi won't be the missing link that pushes us to promotion, or saves us from relegation. With or without him, we will finish between 7th and 21st. So unless there's the remotest chance of Bruce wanting him next season, there's absolutely no point in playing him. Even if Abdi puts in a series of MotM performance to end the season, does anyone really think we'll be signing him up again? If you think yes, then ok, play him; otherwise, don't.

Abdi playing is as likely as Brexit being done and dusted and never talked about in the news ever after 29th March. I wish both would happen but i sense I will never see Abdi play again and the media will still bang on FOREVER about Brexit. I can also put Lee, Hooper, Jones in the same catergory too. Most will be released in the summer i am sure. On the day in the summer when i load google to find wednesdays release list i am also sure google news will bombard me with Brexit nonsense too. NOOOOOO.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I agree that there's probably more to Abdi's disappointing time with us than just his bad attitude, but it's too late to give him a chance. What's the point in playing him except perhaps to help him get a contract elsewhere?

Abdi won't be the missing link that pushes us to promotion, or saves us from relegation. With or without him, we will finish between 7th and 21st. So unless there's the remotest chance of Bruce wanting him next season, there's absolutely no point in playing him. Even if Abdi puts in a series of MotM performance to end the season, does anyone really think we'll be signing him up again? If you think yes, then ok, play him; otherwise, don't.

Fair point mate.

If a contracted player is fit then he should come into consideration.

And if that same player is excelling in training beyond the competition for a starting shirt then I'd expect him to be picked.

It's straight forward really, and should've been these last three or four seasons. I've never known a period at this club where so many players have at one time or another just basically been excluded, many of whom are, no doubt, on extremely high wages, and all while match-day ticket prices have soared.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

is this the stage of the season where he makes his big come back? plays in the last 2 games and looks a world beater, we offer him a new 3 year deal, then in the summer his leg falls off?

Funnily enough Nuihu became a world beater end of last season.