The shadow of The Blades

Bill Shankley’s quote that “Football is a very simple game made complicated by idiots” has never been more relevant than now. Wilder puts out a side of fit second raters that terrorise the opposition, they have centre backs on the wing, forwards in defence, just like some glorified pub side, but the aficionados that pontificate about football can’t see it. 

I will rate Bruce on how he sets up his side to play them, I reckon that it will contain instructions to mark the position and not the player. They has best savour Wilder while they have him, McCabe is bound to crap on him sometime, and teams like Sunderland might just pay him a small fortune. 

On 16/02/2019 at 18:58, daveyboy66 said:

We've been in the shadow of the blades since I've been watching Wednesday...all those cups, European football, players of the year...the list goes on and on lol 

So right, did'nt they play Inter Milan last August in Champions league??

33 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Not the only one who did it is he, MattBianco?

I think pretending to be a Wednesdayite on here is actually far far sadder than just admitting you are what you are.

Show me a post where i've 'pretended' to be a Wednesday fan

They are obviously better than us at the moment. That could be the case for years to come; but equally it can unwind very quickly.

I don't feel particularly happy about that, but it doesn't worry me unduly. 

I've an old friend from the dark side, who I see far too little of these days. He had some bad things in his life in his thirties and moved to France with his wife. Don't begrudge him something to be happy about.

The lad's girlfriend's family are Pig, but largely armchair. Don't seem them very often, but there is mild banter.

I suspect a lot of people get upset because of ridiculous social media encounters. Frankly, some of our fans on social media are bad enough, without engaging with theirs, and people could improve their quality of life by reading a good book instead

It is what it is.

We had an opportunity a few years back to really smash home our advantage but have ballsed it up (to an extent).

With the way football goes in Sheffield, it wouldn't shock me if the situations are somewhat reversed in the next few years.

The whole thing seems to go in cycles.

IF United don't go up this season (which I suspect they will tbh), then things could unravel there pretty quickly. You can't help but feel that Wilder - and keeping him happy - really is the key to them being decent at this level.

40 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Your username would be one a Wednesday fan would use. Therefore you are pretending to be an Owl.

Its not hard who  fathom High Green Blade supports.

You need to go to anger management class or something.

For what it's worth, my experiment worked as expected. I have continued to post as I did before and have received "Thanks", "Agreements" and "Likes". If I had a people wouldn't have given them out - Just Because. 

I never came on here to take thepiss out of anybody but because people knew I was a United fan, point blank refused to hold a conversation.

The post a few up for example when I explained 13 from 19 seasons Weds have finished below United. If I had a United badge next to my name, nobody would've marked that up.

I've changed my profile pic now so that you can all be bitter together. Enjoy hunting season guys.

Edited by Class of 91

On 26/09/2011 at 12:20, Class of 91 said:

But they seem to do everything better than us though which is quite annoying. We have lived in their shadow for years now, since we fell from the Premiership. Our only good thing was the double over them a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, Class of 91 said:

Show me a post where i've 'pretended' to be a Wednesday fan

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

To be honest, it shows how badly run as a club that they have been. Wilder is their special one but McCabe and Co., almost stumbled on him by accident after spewing tens of millions through a series less than impressive appointments followed by sackings.

In the end, the Wilder appointment was a no brainer. A Blunt through and through with a more than half decent track record as a manager. He has almost single handed put the club back on course by bringing in the right coaching staff then embarking on an almost flawless team building exercise disproving that money is needed to do it.

It would appear from the outside looking in that McCabe and the other cohorts in the boardroom have done more to hinder the progress made by Wilder than aid it. For example, you would think after Wilder has done so much for that club, the loyalty would stretch a little further than giving him what seems a relatively small proportion of the Brooks' transfer fee for a couple of low budget signings,  freebies and loans. Wilder to his credit is just getting on with things and proving something is possible that most of our fan base concluded was impossible.

Can Chansiri learn something from Wilder's apparent success? Maybe that it's not about how much is spent but what the money is spent on. Instead of throwing money around scatter gun style, target players that actually want to be at the club and are functional within its setup.

We will see in due course whether the recruitment of Bruce flatters to deceive. We have had managers in the past that have been every bit as influential for us as Wilder has been at United. We have had the likes of Charlton, Wilkinson and Atkinson that have built competitive squads. I guess we can just now sit back and see if Bruce becomes the latest in that list.

Very good honest post

On 25/02/2014 at 17:04, Class of 91 said:

They'll finish top 2 next season. Top 6 at least.

They've had an upturn in fortunes since Nigel Clough took charge. If they had started so badly under David Weir, they would be top 6 or thereabouts already.

• Haha 5

On 25/02/2014 at 13:29, Class of 91 said:

I think the arrogance surrounding SWFC in the build up to this game was appaling. The end of the day, we scraped past Macclesfield and Rochdale. Charlton were the highest placed team faced in this years cup and they're below us. 

Credit where credit is due, Sheff Utd deserve their place in the 1/4s. They have knocked out 3 teams above us so far and yet most of their fans aren't even talking of a semi final. They are happy at how far they have got and are taking each game as it comes.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Bloody hell mate. I can't even remember them. Can't remember what happened last week let alone in 2011.

Oh well, well done. I stand corrected. haha.

As i've said. Let Hunting season commence.

Edited by Class of 91