The shadow of The Blades

5 hours ago, ka58 said:

What about wolves Bournemouth Brighton Burnley Etc

Nowadays Premier league money alone will not keep you in the division, it’s an arms race. 

The clubs like the above with the exception of Burnley have all had rich owners who have had to support them but all have their poo sorted off the field. 

You need a good good set up and a bit of emergency money under you. Burnley are the exception money wise and I think a lot of that is to do with the manager and the board of directors working well, but one thing changes like European football and they are bang in trouble. The blunts will need to change things in the background if they do go up to stay up, but the longer they are there and we are not the further away they get. 

Our problem we have is that we need to get our poo sorted off the pitch. The sooner we do that, the less likely we have this yo-yo situation on the pitch. If we had beaten Hull or Huddersfield/Reading/Fulham we would have likely have come back down because we would have know what to do with the money anyway. This is our biggest issue. Look at derby as a good example, they have had one bad season in I don’t know how many and that was due to a bad appointment not how the club is run.

The worrying thing is we cant sit back and defend at home like we did at their place, the fans won’t tolerate it, and if we open up to attack they will murder us, I can only foresee one out come and that’s another hiding 

To be fair though you can’t criticise them, they are excellent and have been since Deontay took over, they deserve to go up, fair play to them 

Edited by Dexter Morgan

5 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

in my time as a Wednesday fan it was in the 1970's with the great United team of the Tony Currie era, since then they have been in our shadow as well.

Since 2000, Wednesday have finished above United 6 times. The L1 runners up season and the continued years they spent in L1.

The 90s were Wednesdays. The 00s have been United's.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Class of 91 said:

Since 2000, Wednesday have finished above United 6 times. The L1 runners up season and the continued years they spent in L1.

The 90s were Wednesdays. The 00s have been United's.

Yes United's two decades of playoff f*ck ups. Seriously, Wednesday will never be in United's shadow. Everybody chill out. Jeez!

10 hours ago, Animis said:

I think it will be tight for the top two and the pigs lack of injuries has allowed them to put a consistent run together which suggests they have a very good chance of autos. If they don't, as we found, owt could happen in the play-offs, but I suspect they'll give the games a better go than our limp performances against Huddersfield.

All those on here saying they don't care are either liars or not from Sheffield.

Or maybe they are adults 

16 minutes ago, squonk said:

Or maybe they are adults 

When has rational thought process ever affected emotions on football.

As i said, if any Owl in the City of Sheffield is not bothered about their success and potential promotion; they're a liar.

11 hours ago, Kameron said:

Other than when we’re in the same division playing em twice a season, who seriously gives a f o ok what they’re doing?.  Our current predicament is because we’ve not improved the squad for two seasons, the problem is that players know what’s coming, many will be out of the door and it’s not before time, hopefully we’ll get rid of every single one of em and start again.  We’re too slow, lack pace, strength and are predictable.

But you clicked on the post, read the posts,posted a reply but don't give a **** about them?

Very strange indeed.

I would rather they go up than Leeds. It’s an awful situation for an Owl, kinda like Man U fans wanting City to win the league over Liverpool.

I live near Leeds and don’t know many Sheff U fans, this season I’ve just seen so many who never mentioned they liked football before suddenly going on about how they’re lifelong fans. 

Sheffield is a very unique footballing city built on undeserved loyalty of two sets of fans who get little or nothing in return. They managed two seasons in my time following Wednesday were they’ve competed at the top of the league but it was the third tier , hardly comparable to Manchester or Merseyside is it. The general feeling among fans of both clubs and the football world is that Wednesday are the bigger club I know many pigs who will admit it but don’t think any Wednesday fans who would say the opposite of course this doesn’t mean they haven’t been better than us at times, they certainly are now but Sheffield football goes in cycles and our time will come again. Do I feel in their shadow? Certainly not and never will. How can you be overawed by a club who haven’t done anything of note for almost a century. Let’s just get behind our team come March fourth and derail the promotion push 

• Like 1

To be fair , they deserve to go up. Whilst we are banging on about ‘when hooper returns’ their striker is banging in goal after goal . It’s shows what being well run , smart recruitment and a good mananger can do. 

It also painfully highlights the sheer incompetence and balls up that has been the chansiri period. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

To be fair , they deserve to go up. Whilst we are banging on about ‘when hooper returns’ their striker is banging in goal after goal . It’s shows what being well run , smart recruitment and a good mananger can do. 

It also painfully highlights the sheer incompetence and balls up that has been the chansiri period. 

To be honest, it shows how badly run as a club that they have been. Wilder is their special one but McCabe and Co., almost stumbled on him by accident after spewing tens of millions through a series less than impressive appointments followed by sackings.

In the end, the Wilder appointment was a no brainer. A Blunt through and through with a more than half decent track record as a manager. He has almost single handed put the club back on course by bringing in the right coaching staff then embarking on an almost flawless team building exercise disproving that money is needed to do it.

It would appear from the outside looking in that McCabe and the other cohorts in the boardroom have done more to hinder the progress made by Wilder than aid it. For example, you would think after Wilder has done so much for that club, the loyalty would stretch a little further than giving him what seems a relatively small proportion of the Brooks' transfer fee for a couple of low budget signings,  freebies and loans. Wilder to his credit is just getting on with things and proving something is possible that most of our fan base concluded was impossible.

Can Chansiri learn something from Wilder's apparent success? Maybe that it's not about how much is spent but what the money is spent on. Instead of throwing money around scatter gun style, target players that actually want to be at the club and are functional within its setup.

We will see in due course whether the recruitment of Bruce flatters to deceive. We have had managers in the past that have been every bit as influential for us as Wilder has been at United. We have had the likes of Charlton, Wilkinson and Atkinson that have built competitive squads. I guess we can just now sit back and see if Bruce becomes the latest in that list.

13 hours ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

& If you think that way sod off to the Lane & support them. 

Sorry, I should rephrase. 

90s were Wednesdays

00s were United's

10s have been Wednesdays

The fact still remains though in 19 seasons, United have finished higher 13 times.

It's a bad period for both clubs. None have challenged for anything of note. A few play off campaigns for both clubs. 1 Premier League season this millennium.

Neither club are big anymore. It's painful to say but Bolton have had more top flight seasons in my lifetime. Then you've got teams like Bournemouth who are now a sustained top flight club.

22 minutes ago, Class of 91 said:

Sorry, I should rephrase. 

90s were Wednesdays

00s were United's

10s have been Wednesdays

The fact still remains though in 19 seasons, United have finished higher 13 times.

It's a bad period for both clubs. None have challenged for anything of note. A few play off campaigns for both clubs. 1 Premier League season this millennium.

Neither club are big anymore. It's painful to say but Bolton have had more top flight seasons in my lifetime. Then you've got teams like Bournemouth who are now a sustained top flight club.

And they will finish higher this season, got to admit thier form doesn't seem to be faultering so prem next year is a distinct possibility, its really hard to take how in such a short time we have fallen into disaray and they are doing exactly what we expected of us, come on mr bruce were desperate.