Out of Contracts

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And here I was thinking that you were going to give us a detailed breakdown of our next striking prodigy, piquing our interest and raising our hopes beyond any reasonable levels as we await him sweeping all before him and firing us to promotion next season.

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

:duntmatter:

Sorry. Only seen him once in the flesh. He scored a few for under 23's and the goals are on youtube. Any goal scorer needs service and we dont have players to do this. After Vardy (and me) being released and turning out to be capable of winning golden boot (or close). We need to give him and others at least a chance. Some players flourish in the 1st team like they could never do in junior and 2nd teams.

Westwood should be the only one offered a new deal, even then if I'm honest I wouldn't be that bothered if we did release him as long as a replacement is brought in, Westwood isn't the same as the first couple of season lets be honest

Dawson is a good number 2, eventually Westwood can pass the baton

Wildsmith needs loaning out

1 hour ago, hirstys_achilles said:

you are a brave man james. An opinion such us ours on the God like Westwood is blasphemy. Be prepared for the worshippers trying to point out why you are delusional. But seriously Westwood is a very touchy subject for some. It is now making me think its a bit weird and I possibly missing out on something other than football that he does for them. Bruce has a massive job to get literally blood out of a stone for fans becoming more and more impatient for success. Unfortunately some players are not going to be kept purely because ffp rules are what they are. Not every fan will agree or be happy with some decisions. There is going to be pain before the gain !!! We need to put our faith in Bruce till the end of his tenure. The good times wont come instantly. Unfortunately I think Bruce letting KW go will cause a lot of fans to be unhappy. Thats just one decision. It is becoming clear why Katriene left, Has Bruce taken on Mission Impossible 5. - the mission if you choose to accept it is to sell worthless injury prone and aged players and buy better young athletic players that will get promotion without spending any extra cash in the transfer market and reducing players wages at the same time. I think the KW situation is one of the easier decisions to make in our present situ. The sensible fans realise he not as good as he was. I hope I wrong but I think the managers job at swfc is impossible. I really dont think what we want is acheviable with ffp and our ageing squad its not going to be easy to get us back up in a few seasons. I would be happy all things considered watching some entertaining football. If Bruce can do it may be he could inherit westwoods mantra. Sorry rambling again !!!

Think Bruce will want a top quality goal keeper. He knows he has one in Westwood. Maybe cheaper to offer him a new deal then get a new one in with his qualities.

And I also think 99% of our fans trust Bruce. 

So if he says he is selling the whole entire squad or not retaining any of the out of contract players then I think everyone would be ok with it.

With regards to Westwood, I kinda feel, if we have one of the better keepers in the division, why give yourself the headache of trying to find a new one. It will be hard enough anyway if we are looking to improve the quality, when recruiting new players. If, as some suggest, we may have to sell the likes of Forestieri, Bannan and Reach, it will be practically impossible to improve the squad. Having said that, we do need to think of the future when it comes to our young keeping prospects, but the solution surely would be, to put them out on alternate 6 month loans

I'm torn on Westwood, proved to be the best we have currently since he came back. 

If it's financially viable and we plan to be challenging promotion next season, then another year would be a consideration. 

If the EFL persist on stopping us putting together a competitive squad due to embargo, then I wonder the value in alternatively continuing the development of Dawson and Wildsmith.

Think Bruce will want him to stay and wouldn't be disappointed at all considering his recent contribution to organising the defence.

Edited by striker

Well if we release all of the out of contract players, this is what we have left, 18 players, probably 6 short of the accepted 24

We will need to recruit at least four midfielders, as we are incredibly short in that department A right sided centre back, and a third keeper would be needed All this before we think about upgrading other positions

Dawson

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Baker

Lees

Thorniley

Van Aken

Fox

Penney

Pelupessy

Hutchinson

Bannan

Reach

Nuhiu

Joao

Fletcher

Winnall

Rhodes

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well if we release all of the out of contract players, this is what we have left, 18 players, probably 6 short of the accepted 24

We will need to recruit at least four midfielders, as we are incredibly short in that department A right sided centre back, and a third keeper would be needed All this before we think about upgrading other positions

Dawson

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Baker

Lees

Thorniley

Van Aken

Fox

Penney

Pelupessy

Hutchinson

Bannan

Reach

Nuhiu

Joao

Fletcher

Winnall

Rhodes

Good grief, I forgot Nando

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Think Bruce will want a top quality goal keeper. He knows he has one in Westwood. Maybe cheaper to offer him a new deal then get a new one in with his qualities.

And I also think 99% of our fans trust Bruce. 

So if he says he is selling the whole entire squad or not retaining any of the out of contract players then I think everyone would be ok with it.

i agree at the moment. But a few bad performances or baffling team selections can soon change fans perceptions. We are a fickle bunch at times. After JL we may not be as patient as we should be.JL time amounts to a wasted season now. He had the right idea but the wrong way of implementing them. JL and CEO was probably brought in to be the hatchet and  take the flack and leave a clean slate with smaller squad and some cash for the next manager to lead us to prem. DC lost his bottle when the team looked like flirting with relegation. Just an idea that would make sense of the short term CEO fiasco which seems baffling from our pov. Bruce has a tough job to do.

2 hours ago, striker said:

I'm torn on Westwood, proved to be the best we have currently since he came back. 

If it's financially viable and we plan to be challenging promotion next season, then another year would be a consideration. 

If the EFL persist on stopping us putting together a competitive squad due to embargo, then I wonder the value in alternatively continuing the development of Dawson and Wildsmith.

Think Bruce will want him to stay and wouldn't be disappointed at all considering his recent contribution to organising the defence.

its a tough decision either way. I think his wage may be the biggest deciding factor. I am sure other clubs will want him on a free. He will get a better wage probably than we can offer. In the twilight of your career that is a big consideration. It will be KW decision ultimately. He might not want to stay if he thinks he will be battling for the no1 spot. After a year of 2nd team football on a mediocre wage is not a good start position for bargaining in contract negotiations if he planning on another season after the next. Compared to the end of this season where he 1st choice and a high earner which is a much better bargaining position to start from. Actually the deciding factor may have nothing to do with KW. It could be if Bruce thinks CD with Wildsmith as back up is good enough to get us promotion. If he thinks they are then ffp rules are pushing Bruce to let KW go. If not then it would be financially crazy to let KW go and then pay out for a quality keeper so in this case KW contract terms offered will be more favourable. Its a minefield and I dont envy Bruce atm at all.

Palmer, Pudil, Jones, Abdi, Boyd, Matias can all definitely leave for me, i know Palmer has had a decent little spell but lets look at the bigger picture and not fall into last years trap hey !

Which brings me to Nuhiu, who we should try and offload along with Fox, Van Aken and Pelupessy.

Westwood a new one year deal......................and the real tricky ones Lee and Hooper.   Two quality players who have both been missing for far too long , so the prognosis from the medical team will be key, if there is any chance then a very heavily appearance based 1 year contract could be offered but sadly i think Lee`s time may be over and if the rumours are correct Hooper fancies his last few years stateside.

All this leaves SB with a massive job, and we may still need to add a significant departure to this to raise money ( FF, Reach ?) so i expect to see a mixture of out of contract players , some prem young uns on loan (from his old mate Ole ;-)) and a few lower league gambles.

For too long now we have turned our nose up at lower league players cus...well, we are massive etc.

I remember when we signed Boyd i said on here that Ollie Watkins and Bradley Dack were better options and took a load of stick spouting the usual "sign lower league players , get a lower league team" BS.

As our gurning nemesis has proved it can be a source of untapped potential, not all of them come off ( Lundstram, Leonard etc) but plenty do (Stevens, Baldock, Fleck etc) so for instance , at the end of the season Blackpool centre half Curtis Tilt who has been on the radar of Rangers and a few champ clubs and Tranmere`s prolific striker James Norwood are both out of contract and could be a comparitively low fee and low risk option.

Edited by sheriwozgod

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Palmer, Pudil, Jones, Abdi, Boyd, Matias can all definitely leave for me, i know Palmer has had a decent little spell but lets look at the bigger picture and not fall into last years trap hey !

Which brings me to Nuhiu, who we should try and offload along with Fox, Van Aken and Pelupessy.

Westwood a new one year deal......................and the real tricky ones Lee and Hooper.   Two quality players who have both been missing for far too long , so the prognosis from the medical team will be key, if there is any chance then a very heavily appearance based 1 year contract could be offered but sadly i think Lee`s time may be over and if the rumours are correct Hooper fancies his last few years stateside.

All this leaves SB with a massive job, and we may still need to add a significant departure to this to raise money ( FF, Reach ?) so i expect to see a mixture of out of contract players , some prem young uns on loan (from his old mate Ole ;-)) and a few lower league gambles.

For too long now we have turned our nose up at lower league players cus...well, we are massive etc.

I remember when we signed Boyd i said on here that Ollie Watkins and Bradley Dack were better options and took a load of stick spouting the usual "sign lower league players , get a lower league team" BS.

As our gurning nemesis has proved it can be a source of untapped potential, not all of them come off ( Lundstram, Leonard etc) but plenty do (Stevens, Baldock, Fleck etc) so for instance , at the end of the season Blackpool centre half Curtis Tilt who has been on the radar of Rangers and a few champ clubs and Tranmere`s prolific striker James Norwood are both out of contract and could be a comparitively low fee and low risk option.

Yes, it’s potentially a recipe for disaster. We may be contemplating something like 20 players out, and if so, probably a dozen players in. All on next to no budget, and overseen by a manager who has absolutely no track record of working under these conditions What can possibly go wrong

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, it’s potentially a recipe for disaster. We may be contemplating something like 20 players out, and if so, probably a dozen players in. All on next to no budget, and overseen by a manager who has absolutely no track record of working under these conditions What can possibly go wrong

I usually agree with a lot of what you post guru, but, correct me if i`m wrong, i have sensed an undertone to your posts since SB`s arrival that makes me think you dont like / rate him and are waiting for him to fail , am i reading this wrongly ?

19 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I usually agree with a lot of what you post guru, but, correct me if i`m wrong, i have sensed an undertone to your posts since SB`s arrival that makes me think you dont like / rate him and are waiting for him to fail , am i reading this wrongly ?

Don’t think that. In truth, he’s maybe a bit old school for me, although maybe that’s what we needed, following Carlos and Jos. He also seems to get the job done, when he’s provided with the tools to do it, and therein lies my slight reservation, this is new territory for him

It’s all the new broom stuff that is making me feel uneasy, and none of this is Bruce’s doing. It’s the situation we find ourselves in 

I think, with the youngsters who have been involved with the first team, also out of contract, that makes 17 players who could be leaving, including the loanees. Then factor in a couple of big sales that may be needed, plus any of those under contract who we may like to lose, and suddenly you are looking at chaos. It’s simply too much upheaval, although I understand we have little choice, I fear for the consequences. History dictates that clubs facing that much upheaval, generally sink like a stone

Edited by gurujuan

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

How many of those 20 players are actually making a significant contribution to the first team?  Only Westwood and Palmer for me  and (as much as Palmer has improved recently) we may already have better in Iorfa.

Edited by York_Owl

Much as I was glad to see the back of Jos L and his strange tactics(best example was  Millwallgate) was he partly doing something right? He must have been well aware of the financial situation re FFP and the likely scenario that was playing out as regards the straight jacket of who we could afford/bring in the summer. Therefore he had decided to blood the players he would have after the summer given the culling that is about to take place. He knew we were going nowhere this season so perhaps there was a bit of sense playing the likes of Dawson/ Thorniley/Stubbs etc. Pains me to think like this but now we know more about what was going on we can make more rational judgements.

I also still think there is a twist in the FFP saga as so many clubs are like us and battling against the unfair parachute payment clubs. They are traditionally big clubs and together they may well threaten the powers that be with a breakaway.