Expectation is the enemy of happiness

I keep hearing that we have a good side on paper.  Keep hearing we should be battering teams like Rotherham

It doesn't work like that. It's what you do on the pitch. 

Having some 'name' players means nothing.  Its about the team collective and character.

Sadly , for evidence of that you only need look across the City. Because "on paper" there's a lot of third division players there.

But on the park, they're fit organised and and dynamic..

We have a team with no dynamism. It's not going to be an easy fix.

I'm just surprised that anyone thought this season would be anything other than midtable at best before a ball was kicked in the summer.

We're actually bang on course for where we should be given our pace-less, lethargic, slow paced side.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I keep hearing that we have a good side on paper.  Keep hearing we should be battering teams like Rotherham

Having some 'name' players means nothing.  Its about the team collective and character.

Sadly , for evidence of that you only need look across the City. Because "on paper" there's a lot of third division players there.

I'm just surprised that anyone thought this season would be anything other than midtable at best before a ball was kicked in the summer.

We're actually bang on course for where we should be given our pace-less, lethargic, slow paced side.

"Sadly , for evidence of that you only need look across the City. Because "on paper" there's a lot of third division players there."

A myth perpetuated by owlstalkers.

We have spent alot on players that aren't as good as people thought they were. 

Esp the midfield. 

Boyd Bannan Hutch Reach. 

Only one of them would be in my team next season and that is Sam. 

Edited by Beholder

Yea well its all well and good milord...

You see those fans watching the sides above us and below us...?

Well their expectations are lower because..They pay half as much as us in some cases...

Now you can manage expectations by charging what its worth to watch said sides....

Lets be honest, you trip to Hillsborough as a POTGer..and fork out up towards 40 quid...yer expectations might be heightened by the turnstile prices.

Having said that...I just bought me season ticket, the price hasn't changed...neither has our performance...That seems fair enough lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

"Sadly , for evidence of that you only need look across the City. Because "on paper" there's a lot of third division players there."

It's about getting the right players at the right time isn't it. 

They've one. We've collected players who might have played at a slightly higher standard but who are past their sell-by date.

Or players not equipt for the rough and tumble of this division.

Guest LittleG

Two or three weeks ago some fans were still talking about the playoffs!! Anybody who subscribed to this train of thought must be absolutely deluded and bonkers!! We have lacked pace all season and our midfield has been non-existent; the only reason we are looking at finishing lower mid table is down to some excellent goals from Reach and Joao.

7 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Two or three weeks ago some fans were still talking about the playoffs!! Anybody who subscribed to this train of thought must be absolutely deluded and bonkers!! We have lacked pace all season and our midfield has been non-existent; the only reason we are looking at finishing lower mid table is down to some excellent goals from Reach and Joao.

Its delusion that has kept all the fans tipping up....theres nowt wrong with a deluded Wednesday fan..I'm f.ookin' deluded, but I'm clever, I KNOW I'm deluded, its how I keep going...I don't think too deeply about any of it...(As you can probably tell by most of me posts)

Delusion is the future....Start picking it apart in a logical statistical way and you end up howling at the moon an' eating soil...I did once...

Guest LittleG
Just now, asteener1867 said:

Its delusion that has kept all the fans tipping up....theres nowt wrong with a deluded Wednesday fan..I'm f.ookin' deluded, but I'm clever, I KNOW I'm deluded, its how I keep going...I don't think too deeply about any of it...(As you can probably tell by most of me posts)

Delusion is the future....Start picking it apart in a logical statistical way and you end up howling at the moon an' eating soil...I did once...

I thought cheesecake was the future; I am confused now

Guest Theboylangers
17 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

You are spot on here. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd swap our central midfield for Fleck and Norwood. Both are quality players. An unpopular view on here I guess but they are the main reason why United are where they are along with a very good manager who knows his tactics and buys players to fit into it. 

We haven't had an identifiable system for a long time, maybe Carlos first season at a push. We have major problems with this squad of players,  the most worrying being the lack of pace and being up for a battle. They lack the winning mentality required for a top 6 team. 

I hope Bruce can work his magic because he's going to have to be Paul Daniels (RIP) to sort us out. 

Edited by Theboylangers
Spelling

1 minute ago, Theboylangers said:

You are spot on here. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd swap our central midfield for Fleck and Norwood. Both are quality players. An unpopular view on here I guess but they are the main reason why United are where they are along with a very good manager who knows his tactics and buys players to fit into it. 

We haven't had an identifiable system for along time, maybe Carlos first season at a push. We have major problems with this squad of players,  the most worrying being the lack of pace and being up for a battle. They lack the winning mentality required for a top 6 team. 

I hope Bruce can work his magic because he's going to have to be Paul Daniels (RIP) to sort us out. 

Fleck and Norwood are a decent pair at this level, that’s for sure, but the main difference is Wilder

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Fishcake..is the future...nip up the Kop and have a word about delusion...he'll put you right......(maybe)

Proper fishcake, not a rissole? 

Guest Theboylangers
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Fleck and Norwood are a decent pair at this level, that’s for sure, but the main difference is Wilder

I don't disagree. But Fleck makes them tick and is at the centre of all their creativity. 

A bit like FF in his first season here. 

Edited by Theboylangers

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

This post is what is actually bang on. My prediction at the start of the season was that we would finish 10th. That now looks pretty optimistic, I got dogs abuse for this view. I take no pleasure whatsoever for being fairly accurate. We have been midpaced and mundane for the best part of 3 seasons now. Pace and power needed adding after the play off final. We have been made mugs of in the transfer market and we are now seeing the effects of this. Bruce is hopefully the right man for the job but this will be the greatest achievement of his career if he makes a success of this mess. 

15 minutes ago, MARTY BOY said:

This post is what is actually bang on. My prediction at the start of the season was that we would finish 10th. That now looks pretty optimistic, I got dogs abuse for this view. I take no pleasure whatsoever for being fairly accurate. We have been midpaced and mundane for the best part of 3 seasons now. Pace and power needed adding after the play off final. We have been made mugs of in the transfer market and we are now seeing the effects of this. Bruce is hopefully the right man for the job but this will be the greatest achievement of his career if he makes a success of this mess. 

Other than them having "third division" players that is.