Not good enough

16 hours ago, Quist said:

We need improvements in playing staff particularly in midfield until this happens we have to muddle through. The team battled and got a draw actually think its improvement. Daft mistake at back which we have not done for last few games it was though relief of scoring a goal and team just thought job done and after that we were chasing game. It will take time you can not turn it around in a couple of weeks. fans will have to realise some of players are not good enough, in they do not have consistency to be winners.

They don't have a winning mentality, they're not hungry for success. For the high earners, thereis little incentive to push themselves to the max. 

Reach and Fletcher try hard, but they're not as good as some on here suggest.

Lees and FF seem past their best and Bannan just blows hot and cold. I used to think build around Bannan but he's too lightweight.

That covers five of our senior players, and if I talk about most of the rest, I'll be taking a trip down misery lane.

I'd keep Hutch, Westwood and Thornikey, hoping we can sign Hector.

1 hour ago, Meowl said:

Jos wasn't given the budget to cause any lasting damage.

The players he rightly or wrongly sidelined - identified by many as 'must picks' at the time - are still here. 

He realised the need to reshape the squad. Perhaps he did things in the wrong way, but let's be fair, he didn't set back the club 18 months, surely. 

He contributed. He was an unemployed, retired, unqualified bizarre appointment, with no knowledge whatsoever of the Championship.

He has now gone back to being retired. Says it all.

Clown was worse. Their part, along with the Chairmans in 4 wasted regressive years, should not be underestimated.

Brucie has the toughest job of his career on.

10 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

We need the majority of the squad cleared on ,Old legs in the side not going to improve ,Bruce will have to build a side on the cheap with FFP ,Sell who ever he wants for me ,If it means it improves the team.

Only Boyd and Fletcher, of the outfield players involved, were over 30 

2 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

As I also said sell who ever he wants to improve the team.

I don’t disagree, but I’ve read several comments about the team being too old, and it isn’t United’s current squad is older than hours For me, the major difference is tactics. United are always on the front foot, looking to pass and move their way up the pitch They also press high. Even with an older team, they manage to keep the pressure on. That comes from the coach

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t disagree, but I’ve read several comments about the team being too old, and it isn’t United’s current squad is older than hours For me, the major difference is tactics. United are always on the front foot, looking to pass and move their way up the pitch They also press high. Even with an older team, they manage to keep the pressure on. That comes from the coach

As my mum used to say, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

It is not about age our team just doesn’t have the athleticism and legs to play high tempo for 90 mins. We struggle with slow tempo for 90 mins 

Just now, oldishowl said:

As my mum used to say, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

It is not about age our team just doesn’t have the athleticism and legs to play high tempo for 90 mins. We struggle with slow tempo for 90 mins 

It could be that I suppose, though I hope not. Certainly we were able to press well enough in Carlos’s first year, and most of the new lads can do it. I believe a lot of the lethargy comes from tempo the side is encouraged to play with. Neither Carlos, after year one, nor Jos, ever encouraged the side to press, and there’s been little sign so far, that we are going to do it under Bruce

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It could be that I suppose, though I hope not. Certainly we were able to press well enough in Carlos’s first year, and most of the new lads can do it. I believe a lot of the lethargy comes from tempo the side is encouraged to play with. Neither Carlos, after year one, nor Jos, ever encouraged the side to press, and there’s been little sign so far, that we are going to do it under Bruce

This is the fallacy about Carlos’s first season.

We had some turgid first halfs and games turned round by some high tempo last 30 mins.

Carlos knew we hadn’t the legs to play high tempo for 90 mins 

I do agree we haven’t really tried to press at all since then.

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

This is the fallacy about Carlos’s first season.

We had some turgid first halfs and games turned round by some high tempo last 30 mins.

Carlos knew we hadn’t the legs to play high tempo for 90 mins 

I do agree we haven’t really tried to press at all since then.

Thinking on, there were quite a few slow starts, yeah

23 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last minute equaliser, struggled to get excited to be honest. At least we haven’t lost.

A thoroughly pathetic performance. Call me miserable or whatever, sorry that I expect a bit more from our players. Expect a lot more in fact. 

The only postitive about today is breaking Rotherham hearts, but that’s only a little positive because largely I don’t give a poo about Rovrum.

Only thing we can hope for this season is we don’t get stuffed by the Pigs and they suffer promotion heartbreak. How sad is that. That’s the best we can hope for, how far we’ve fallen in the space of 2 years. It’s actually quite remarkable. 

Only one man has to take the blame on why our club is in such a mess. :carlosswfc::carlos:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Our mentality is to slow things down. Westwood takes forever to release the ball, our players first instinct is to always look backwards before / when they receive the ball, we have very few who take the ball on the half turn, passes are safe and to feet - rarely are they played so the receiving player can take it in his stride, set pieces are all scripted and very rarely do we deviate from the script even when our non scheduled taker can either take a quick throw or free kick - no we wait for the proper taker to wander over. It's like we play ponderous robotic football while the better teams are playing at tempo. I often think we play like an over 40's side compared to the rest of the league.

I thought we tried to up the tempo against Reading right from the off, gave it a ten minute burst of pressing which almost brought the breakthrough as it was plainly obvious that Reading wanted an eternity on the ball but then we stopped pressing. I'm convinced if we had kept the pressing game up for another ten mins we would have scored but for some reason we couldn't or did not want to. 

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

Our mentality is to slow things down. Westwood takes forever to release the ball, our players first instinct is to always look backwards before / when they receive the ball, we have very few who take the ball on the half turn, passes are safe and to feet - rarely are they played so the receiving player can take it in his stride, set pieces are all scripted and very rarely do we deviate from the script even when our non scheduled taker can either take a quick throw or free kick - no we wait for the proper taker to wander over. It's like we play ponderous robotic football while the better teams are playing at tempo. I often think we play like an over 40's side compared to the rest of the league.

I thought we tried to up the tempo against Reading right from the off, gave it a ten minute burst of pressing which almost brought the breakthrough as it was plainly obvious that Reading wanted an eternity on the ball but then we stopped pressing. I'm convinced if we had kept the pressing game up for another ten mins we would have scored but for some reason we couldn't or did not want to. 

Sums things up really, but unless they are going against his wishes, that comes from the coach

Edited by gurujuan

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Sums things up really, but unless they are going against his wishes, that comes from the coach

I agree it does come from the coach, but not the current one.  Three years of coaching in of one way to play can't be coached out in three weeks. 

28 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It does but Bruce has only been here two minutes and like I said the other day I think we are pre programmed to play this way. We need switching off and then turning back on again!

Maybe Jos saw through the players here and tried to drastically shake things up. There's no excusing his (2nd season) ridiculous team selection and formation changes from one game to the next and alienating players from the squad mind but just maybe he saw what Bruce is now beginning to see. Pre season I always thought we were a bottom third side, mainly because we can never field our best team and were lacking obvious strengths so we are not too far from what I expected.

Edited by Walt

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

It does but Bruce has only been here two minutes and like I said the other day I think we are pre programmed to play this way. We need switching off and then turning back on again!

Maybe Jos saw through the players here and tried to drastically shake things up. There's no excusing his (2nd season) ridiculous team selection and formation changes from one game to the next and alienating players from the squad mind but just maybe he saw what Bruce is now beginning to see. Pre season I always thought we were a bottom third side, mainly because we can never field our best team and were lacking obvious strengths so we are not too far from what I expected.

I suppose any slight reservations I might have had, regarding the appointment of Steve Bruce, were down to his coaching abilities. With four promotions, obviously the guy is no mug when it comes to tactics. However, he’s not renowned for his abilities on the training ground, and his successful sides have generally been built in the transfer market He’s been lucky enough to have benefitted from big budgets at most of his previous clubs. Big budgets though, are no guarantee of success, but it obviously helps Here the situation is very different, he will have to wheel and deal, and use his extensive contacts in the loan market. So if he doesn’t have the best group of players, he will need to find another way of doing things

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I suppose any slight reservations I might have had, regarding the appointment of Steve Bruce, were down to his coaching abilities. With four promotions, obviously the guy is no mug when it comes to tactics. However, he’s not renowned for his abilities on the training ground, and his successful sides have generally been built in the transfer market He’s been lucky enough to have benefitted from big budgets at most of his previous clubs. Big budgets though, are no guarantee of success, but it obviously helps Here the situation is very different, he will have to wheel and deal, and use his extensive contacts in the loan market. So if he doesn’t have the best group of players, he will need to find another way of doing things

Reading posts on here it seems that Bruce is going to get a bit of leeway from the fans regarding squad rebuilding as more fans are seeing this squad for what it actually is and not a 'top six' squad. Jos didn't help himself by any stretch of the imagination but tbf never got that understanding.