Not good enough

The manager is still learning about the squad and individuals so some of his decisions seem strange. As fans we have been watching them for a lot longer and we know very few are up to the job required. Just hope Bruce recognises things before the end of the season and makes the right decision.

For instance , it was a strange game to start Joao and FF together. Hopefully he realises that now.

As for the quality of the performance . That is totally down to the players. We need to get rid of as many as we can and start again. Mentally they are shot and need to go.

We have two home games before the derby. Both against footballing teams. He needs to get the new boys in the team and see if he can find something before the pigs game.

I don’t want to see Boyd and Fox again.

34 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Better midfield players would make the biggest difference, one of whom could hopefully give the strikers the ball on the ground in a promising area for scoring. Too much hitting longish bouncing balls..

Agree with this 

But we also need forwards who have got a bit of movement and pace about them, who can play on the shoulder of the CB 

Midfielders can be creative and carry the ball forward - but when you’ve got fletcher and Joao up top (who lack pace and movement), and Boyd on the wing, you’re never going to trouble defenders 

Edited by FreshOwl

In truth, whether it’s me questioning the managers tactics, or others claiming the players aren’t good enough, it’s more likely to somewhere in the middle We will need to change things player wise, but that isn’t going to be the major overhaul some suggest That’s unlikely due to budget constraints, and quite frankly, it’s not necessary Those same budget constraints, will mean that Steve Bruce will have to show more tactically than he ever has before It’s simply a case of getting the blend right

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last minute equaliser, struggled to get excited to be honest. At least we haven’t lost.

A thoroughly pathetic performance. Call me miserable or whatever, sorry that I expect a bit more from our players. Expect a lot more in fact. 

The only postitive about today is breaking Rotherham hearts, but that’s only a little positive because largely I don’t give a poo about Rovrum.

Only thing we can hope for this season is we don’t get stuffed by the Pigs and they suffer promotion heartbreak. How sad is that. That’s the best we can hope for, how far we’ve fallen in the space of 2 years. It’s actually quite remarkable. 

Dont be too negative

I got slaughtered for saying the same against Millwall last week, but apparently that was a good point because they’re fighting for their lives etc etc

50 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So which five or six should we replace, the ones who lack heart, or the ones that aren’t good enough

All of them eventually but that's not something we can do in one season.

Keep bannan and joao but fessi and reach can go for me.They'll bring in a few quid.

The will to win for me over fancy tricks. Reach lacks belief/confidence, I dunno and fessi isn't interested anymore.

You need a mix of both and you can't carry too many bottlers or too many fancy dans. 

Easier said than done though but I don't think any manager can get any consistency going with this team.

Edited by Eightace

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The easiest start imaginable really. The players need to look at themselves and take some responsibility. 1 win and 3 draws against the four we’ve just played is shocking for me.

Normally get a bit of a bounce with a new manager too. 

The players are pathetic i've said it for ages we will not achieve anything half decent while ever we still have the core of this squad, bunch of bottle jobs who can't handle the weight of playing at a big club. 

29 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure about that, I’d say Westwood, Hector, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri would walk into most

Possibly but that's 5 players out of our entire squad that are up to top 6 level.

Even then Bannan and Reach are constantly slated on here and Forestieri is rarely available for selection. 

Most annoying thing for me was the reaction to going a goal behind. Until the 99th minute we just showed no desire or urgency to get back into it. I can't even remember a goal attempt apart from Reach's pathetic effort from range until Forestieri's volley that went for the corner we scored from.

I would keep Westwood as you need an experienced keeper at this level.

Despite recent improvements I still feel we need two new full-backs. Iorfa maybe the new right-back but it remains to be seen who the long-term left-back is. I wouldn't be adverse to moving Lees on but I suspect he'll still be here next season. Thorniley has a chance of nailing down one of the two centre-half spots.

The midfield is where we need the complete overhaul. We need physicality, power and pace. None of our current options give us this apart from Hutchinson but how many games will he play.

Forward wise, we have a lot of options but how many are Top Quality? All are capable on their day but sadly that day is few and far between. Because of the contract situation (only Hooper's contract runs out at the end of the season) this may take a while to sort out.

Despite some having reservations already :unsure: I have total confidence in Steve Bruce to sort it out.

Didn't go today, but really disappointed with what I understand to be the lack of effort and passion..okay toytown but still a derby match...let's hope Bruce gets them battling for the real derby..if it's still this crap by November next season then I want someone else at the helm.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last minute equaliser, struggled to get excited to be honest. At least we haven’t lost.

A thoroughly pathetic performance. Call me miserable or whatever, sorry that I expect a bit more from our players. Expect a lot more in fact. 

The only postitive about today is breaking Rotherham hearts, but that’s only a little positive because largely I don’t give a poo about Rovrum.

Only thing we can hope for this season is we don’t get stuffed by the Pigs and they suffer promotion heartbreak. How sad is that. That’s the best we can hope for, how far we’ve fallen in the space of 2 years. It’s actually quite remarkable. 

We mugged them , simple as that . our performance was shocking and unacceptable. 

The only positive is this team will be broken up in the summer. 

2 hours ago, timrud said:

You need to look at the bigger picture. We have a limited squad and until it can be shaken up Bruce can only do so much with them

You could easily run the same argument re-Jos, can't tell the difference tbh, except we are now playing our 'better players' regularly ..

..kin ell Bruce has a reyt job on, embargo next season, couple of loans maybe...why the fooook he took the job is a mystery :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

There are times when I feel the same, but do we really think we can turnaround 30 players? That’s not possible, especially given our financial constraints This is when you look to your manager for a bit of inspiration

What we need are some winners instead of "Flair" players.

Like when Big Ron  built his WINNING team.

Fast, strong and direct forwards.

Midfielders who are strong and fit enough to dominate that area.

Defender's who. more than anything else, can actually defend.

That is 'The Bruce's' objective in the summer.

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

What we need are some winners instead of "Flair" players.

Like when Big Ron  built his WINNING team.

Fast, strong and direct forwards.

Midfielders who are strong and fit enough to dominate that area.

Defender's who. more than anything else, can actually defend.

That is 'The Bruce's' objective in the summer.

We need players who are up to the job mentally.

Players who will be leaders, who thrive on the responsibility and are actually brave enough to be positive and try things.

Go back to  our good teams and they were full of characters, currently we have a boatload of shrinking violets