The Pitch again

I don’t disagree that at times there might be issues. I’m sure lots of pitches up and down the country have issues from time to time. But you said that last Saturday it looked “threadbare” and “dreadful”. 

Quite clearly it didn’t. It didn’t look anywhere near what it looked like in your photos from a whole year ago. Which, by the way, probably coincided with the  poor weather, freezing conditions and snow we had in Feb/Mar 2018.

Wembley Oct 2018 - this is threadbare

3ED5BB4A-776F-4297-8C35-6F71F0029B43.jpeg.3575e4095c5f6889a5d5a08d2dddae47.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Never had this problem in my Sunday League days....mind you we lost a lot of time fetching the ball back up the hill on Wadsley Common.

I always seemed to get put on the wing at that pitch up stannington where it rolls down the hill and the wind always blows down hill

• Haha 1

On 15/02/2019 at 19:33, Andrew Robinson said:

So yawn time for most of you.

I was at Hillsborough on Jan 12 but missed the match against Wigan on Jan 19. On Jan 12 the pitch was in pretty good condition but by last Saturday against Reading it was dreadful and threadbare. So just one home match, heat lights on every night, underfloor heating when frost is due and favourable weather - what has happened?

looking at other grounds in the Premier League and Championship on TV, every other ground with Desso looks fine. Just look at Bramall Lane and the New York stadium where Dave Galley is doing a brilliant job. I know it’s the same for both teams but if we are to pressure our visitors, they need to feel they are playing a well sorted club with everything in top condition. 

Other than re-seeding probably too late last summer, does anyone know what has gone wrong?

Take a look at the video of yesterday’s U23 game at Bramall Lane. Sorry to p155 on your chips mate but their pitch looks a right old state. Your wrong pal. Our pitch is no worse than some and better than others. 

In times past, Players really didn't care about the landscaping, the last Wednesday Home pitch I laid eyes on was in 1974, age 16, and you could definitely see where all the combat took place, it was raw dirt...the Players weren't complaining, and didn't care, it was a football pitch.

A Football Pitch, will never, can never, be like a putting green on a golf course, unless it's synthetic material.  To Hell with looks, football is played on natural vegetation, not plastic, and the condition of the pitch, will bear testament to the battles fought, welcome to Hillsborough, and there will be a fight.

Honest questions.  How does green grass even grow in England during the Winter months?  How did SWFC manage the pitch across the last 150+ years?  Here in America, the statisticians have formed a direct correlation between injuries, and synthetic football (American) fields, is there any similar finding in England?  In any case, English football takes place across 3 of the 4 seasons, only during the Summer is the game not played.  So, on a natural pitch, that far north, 53+ degrees N.Lat., how does one maintain a putting green pitch?

Guest The Claw

the pitch needs some work and the flood lights are not to the lighting level required - these luminaires have to be replaced in the closed season.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:46, sharrowowl said:

We dropped a bolock  having the main stand to the south. Better to the north to get more sunsheeine in. It's basic physics ffs Wednesday. 

Don't get everyone going on about knocking down and rebuilding stands!

In the current climate, it would probably be easier to move the sun instead.