The Pitch again

6 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

So yawn time for most of you.

I was at Hillsborough on Jan 12 but missed the match against Wigan on Jan 19. On Jan 12 the pitch was in pretty good condition but by last Saturday against Reading it was dreadful and threadbare. So just one home match, heat lights on every night, underfloor heating when frost is due and favourable weather - what has happened?

looking at other grounds in the Premier League and Championship on TV, every other ground with Desso looks fine. Just look at Bramall Lane and the New York stadium where Dave Galley is doing a brilliant job. I know it’s the same for both teams but if we are to pressure our visitors, they need to feel they are playing a well sorted club with everything in top condition. 

Other than re-seeding probably too late last summer, does anyone know what has gone wrong?

No it wasn’t. It looks ok for a pitch at this time of year. FFS, some people find anything to moan about!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

So yawn time for most of you.

I was at Hillsborough on Jan 12 but missed the match against Wigan on Jan 19. On Jan 12 the pitch was in pretty good condition but by last Saturday against Reading it was dreadful and threadbare. So just one home match, heat lights on every night, underfloor heating when frost is due and favourable weather - what has happened?

looking at other grounds in the Premier League and Championship on TV, every other ground with Desso looks fine. Just look at Bramall Lane and the New York stadium where Dave Galley is doing a brilliant job. I know it’s the same for both teams but if we are to pressure our visitors, they need to feel they are playing a well sorted club with everything in top condition. 

Other than re-seeding probably too late last summer, does anyone know what has gone wrong?

Typical Anne Robinson whinging carrot top !

Sort of comments I expected. In front of the north stand on the half way line, where it does get natural light, there is just sandy soil with a few blades of grass. Ecclesfield Red Rose has more grass. We have the worst pitch in the Championship without much doubt and it shouldn’t be like that. But after 5 pints, I suppose it looks green and it’s much more fun to slate Reach for being too expensive and having the wrong haircut. No wonder United are doing better than we are. 

30 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Sort of comments I expected. In front of the north stand on the half way line, where it does get natural light, there is just sandy soil with a few blades of grass. Ecclesfield Red Rose has more grass. We have the worst pitch in the Championship without much doubt and it shouldn’t be like that. But after 5 pints, I suppose it looks green and it’s much more fun to slate Reach for being too expensive and having the wrong haircut. No wonder United are doing better than we are. 

So we’ve gone from “dreadful and threadbare” to “there’s sandy soil infront of the north” And as a result it’s the worst pitch in the championship?

Why are you exaggerating the matter? It’s not the worst pitch in the Championship. 

Milwalls pitch looked much worse than ours other night. 

53 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Yes...I'm sure United's good form is down to how many fans complain about their pitch. 

12 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

5782E8B4-376B-4C39-ABCF-A4095F34FB29.thumb.png.356a5d6c3602410fb9707923024ceecc.pngDreadful and threadbare? 

Not sure about that, looked ok to me on Saturday. 

59 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

So in front of the North on the half way line... pretty near to the above picture then?

Why does it look so different to your description?

I stand by what I have said. Have a look next weekend and compare with the New York stadium today. From what I saw on TV, the grass at Millwall is better although the overall pitch condition questionable. I have watched a range of away matches and all seem to be in pretty good condition, after all, it has been a mild winter. 

Read any winner’s biography or hear them speak live. Success is about more than the right players in the right formation with the right tactics. Everything needs to be right.  With the reputation that Hillsborough now has, part of winning must be for everything to be spot on and sadly, it isn’t.

The main point I made was to ask, how has it deteriorated so quickly in 1 month with only 1 match played and heat lights on every night? Other grass surfaces, for example putting greens at golf clubs, have improved over the same month. My view is that the ground staff must be doing something wrong. 

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes...I'm sure United's good form is down to how many fans complain about their pitch. 

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

So in front of the North on the half way line... pretty near to the above picture then?

Why does it look so different to your description?

United’s pitch is immaculate and was re-laid at exactly the same time as ours. I sit only a few rows up so I can see the details. The impression from a distance will look fine but on the ground it is not good. It is almost identical to the same time last year when we had experienced much more frost and snow. I walked on the pitch last year and it was amazing how poor it was close up. I am not moaning for the sake of it, it should be a given that the pitch is good. I find it very disappointing that with the £1.5m investment in the new pitch, for some reason it hasn’t worked as it should have. 

1 minute ago, Andrew Robinson said:

United’s pitch is immaculate and was re-laid at exactly the same time as ours. I sit only a few rows up so I can see the details. The impression from a distance will look fine but on the ground it is not good. It is almost identical to the same time last year when we had experienced much more frost and snow. I walked on the pitch last year and it was amazing how poor it was close up. I am not moaning for the sake of it, it should be a given that the pitch is good. I find it very disappointing that with the £1.5m investment in the new pitch, for some reason it hasn’t worked as it should have. 

Fvvck me! You change your tune with every post. You’re just disappointed about the investment now; before the pitch was losing us points. Make your mind up mate. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Robinson said:

12 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

5782E8B4-376B-4C39-ABCF-A4095F34FB29.thumb.png.356a5d6c3602410fb9707923024ceecc.pngDreadful and threadbare? 

Not sure about that, looked ok to me on Saturday. 

You need to go to Specsavers mate.  Stop talkingbollocks.

I remember seeing in year one someone mentioning we smashed load of sand on it during the bare period in winter.

Desso said you should never put sand on it but we did for some reason.

Have to agree with the OP that seeing most of the desso pitches, we have by the looks of it the worst one, is that down to the groundsmen or the stadium design? 

Down at BL 3 miles away they have the same pitch which looks in a lot condition. 

53 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Have you looked at all the other pitches in the championship from that viewpoint or just on the telly (where ours looks great).