Summer Sort Out

7 minutes ago, BowOwl said:

What annoys me was this wasn't sussed out. Second season there were some flashes but we became so fixed on not conceding.
We had one bad game, which happened to be the playoff final against Hull, and Carlos panicked. Second year we could have walked it had we not changed style. For Huddersfield to win the playoffs without scoring a single goal in normal time is criminal from both Us and Reading. Any attacking team would have ripped them apart, and we had the ability.  

Unfortunately now the majority of players have past their peak to make that system work, so needs a new start.

Don't think he panicked to be honest, think he just tried to adapt..and we were being closed down and becomming predictable more and more

But we will never know what would have happened if he hadn't changed his approach

Limited to players i have seen play enough times to make a decision

Keep - Bannan , Lees , Joao , Thorniley , Reach, Huthcinson, Iorfa , Dawson, Wildsmith , Penney, Forestieri, Winnall, Fletcher

Release - Palmer, Pudil, Boyd, Abdi, Jones, Matias, Neilsen, Preston

Offer new Deals - Westwood (1 year) , Lee and Hooper ( 1 year on heavily appearance based contract unless the medical prognosis rules it out)

Transfer List - Stobbs, Van Aken, Nuhiu, Pelupessy, Fox, Rhodes

Obviously we may need a FFP sacraficial lamb,  ideally Reach as he would probably raise the largest amount.

For  me I wouldn't be desperate to keep anyone. Over the last 18 month no one has stood out as a ' finish in the top 2 player' let alone ready for the next step to the Premier league.

Yes a lot have been good servants but most if not all our squad are average championship players that will go no further. Maybe Thorniley.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Do you not think Palmer deserves one at the moment.

Playing well, but for the last few seasons hasn't really done anything. 

Considering his career to date, on the whole average  until  recently and the arrival of  Iorfa suggests options.

At the moment, no. If he continues his form, possibly. 

1 minute ago, striker said:

Playing well, but for the last few seasons hasn't really done anything. 

Considering his career to date, on the whole average  until  recently and the arrival of  Iorfa suggests options.

At the moment, no. If he continues his form, possibly. 

Think it's more at the moment, possibly. If he continues his form, definitely 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

OK let me start If Bruce is looking to give them all a chance to impress, then the first candidate for a renewal is Palmer His standards of late have been excellent. Obviously, on form alone, keeping Westwood would be a no brainer There may be other factors involved in that decision though Everyone else has it to prove over the rest of the season

And people think its a myth that players play better when playing for a contract. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

OK let me start If Bruce is looking to give them all a chance to impress, then the first candidate for a renewal is Palmer His standards of late have been excellent. 

This is what will happen with Palmer. We’ll offer him a deal, he’ll have other options and decide a fresh start will be best for him. It will only be then that the moronic element acknowledge his competence 

Think people are being a bit harsh on palmer, while hes no world beater hes currently playing well and he's at a good age for a defender. Sometimes its just a case of better the devil you know, we'd be very hard pushed to find a lad whos played well over hundred games in championship, regularly shown he can be part of a defence that can keep clean sheets, wont cause a fuss when benched and never injured, all for a relatively small wage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

So as we are all aware there is a big job for Bruce to do with this squad in the summer. Just wondering what the general consensus was as to who should stay or go.

So basically you are in Bruce's shoes, the choices are for the out of contract players, Offer Contract or Release. And for the under contract players Keep or Transfer List.

Who goes where ???

As long as we are able to sell and bring players in with the FFP mess we are in.

I would like to see wholesale changes, the first time since Dc came to the club we can make some significant changes to the playing squad.

Of the players out of contract get rid of all of them except Westwood, Palmer and give Preston a year extension then send him out on loan for at least 6 months. We saw the way loans for Clare and Thorniley improve them as players.

Lee is currently injured, let him stay but on none contact terms, let him prove and keep his fitness and maybe we might resign him next season. I would hope he would with the fact we have stuck by him for 2 season while he has been injured.

Lees, Bannan, Forestieri all good players who have been not at their best for a while now, do we cash in and use the funds to bring in younger hungry players. 

I would like to see Hector signed, Venancio signed, DaSilva (loan from Chelsea), Maddison (Peterboro Free), Powell (Wigan free).

Then we need to thin the strikers out Rhodes and Fletcher are on a lot of money and 1 or both need selling to reduce the overheads and maybe bring in some funds. Then maybe if these two and Fessi leave look to getting a loan striker in or maybe looking at giving someone like Wickham a platform to restart his career.

Like I said we have an opportunity to restructure the whole team get youth and experience but energy back into the team like we had to first season after Stuart Gray had left us a very fit and energetic squad before Carlos work his magic on all of the players fitness.

6 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

This is what will happen with Palmer. We’ll offer him a deal, he’ll have other options and decide a fresh start will be best for him. It will only be then that the moronic element acknowledge his competence 

Palmer is a local lad his family live in Worksop and he has spent his life in the area, I used to work with some of his family.

If we offer him a deal on at least the terms he is on he will stay, he is a good squad player for us and has proved these last 6-8 weeks given the chance he is a good option for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briggowl said:

No coincidence that we're keeping clean sheets. I'm not even convinced it's his goal keeping that's the key, which is decent but more to do with his constant shouting and organisation. 

I think youre right there. Hes a good keeper but importantly he inspires confidence and defenders therefopre dont panic as much in front of him whereas they have yet to fully trust Dawson.

So according to transfermarkt, out of contract 2019 are:

Abdi

Westwood

Jones

Pudil

Hooper

Boyd

Lee

Matias

Palmer

Nielsen

Preston

O'Grady

Out of contract 2020 are:

Fletcher

Hutchinson

Forestieri

Nuhiu

Winnall

Pelupessy

Fox

Dawson

Stobbs

Penney

Baker

Kirby

2019: I'd offer a contract to Westwood and Palmer and release the rest.

2020: I'd transfer list all of them and see what offers come in. Offer contracts to Forestieri and Winnall if they perform well.

Edited by amitten

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Ill go with (looking through the squad number list):

Keep - Bannan, Thorniley, Lees, Joao, Reach, Hutchinson, Baker, Dawson, Iorfa, Wildsmith, Hunt, Kirby, Rice, Lee, Penney, Shaw, Forestieri

Transfer List - van Aken, Fox, Pelupessy, Fletcher, Winnall, Nuhiu, Stobbs

Offer Contract - Westwood, Matias

Release - Palmer, Jones, Lee, Hooper, Boyd, Abdi, O'Grady, Neilson, Pudil, Preston,

On top of this I would do anything to sign Hector up.

Lee and Hooper I would love to still ne here but cant see them getting back to what they were after being out for so long.

Not seen enough of the youngsters so cannot comment on them. Agree with most of the senior players on your list apart from Matias, would definitely release him. I see you've not mentioned your favourite player, Jordan Rhodes.

48 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Palmer is a local lad his family live in Worksop and he has spent his life in the area, I used to work with some of his family.

If we offer him a deal on at least the terms he is on he will stay, he is a good squad player for us and has proved these last 6-8 weeks given the chance he is a good option for us.

Normally I’d agree but difference here is a lot of fans continually tell him he’s poo no matter what he does. He goes and it will be a loss

20 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Not seen enough of the youngsters so cannot comment on them. Agree with most of the senior players on your list apart from Matias, would definitely release him. I see you've not mentioned your favourite player, Jordan Rhodes.

Bloody hell forgot about Rhodes !!!! GOOD SPOT.

My opinion would be to offload him on a permanent deal if possible but if we can get another loan deal similar to this seasons then that would suffice.

My own target would be Conor Wickham on loan.