Summer Sort Out

Unfortunately Palmer has to go. We have just spent money in a replacement and given him a 3.5 year deal. We can’t afford both. Baker will have to act as back up

The only out of contract player worth keeping is Westwood. All the rest are part of the problem. The squad needs refreshing badly

43 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So you would release Palmer who have probably been our best player over the last month or so. But keep Matias. 

Personally I think Abdi and Matias are the two players he has already made his mind up are gone.

Yes I would and my reasoning behind this is, Palmer has been one of our better players recently but he's been here a long time and he has never and will never be good enough. We need better and I think (may be wrong) we have brought it in with Iorfa. With FFP, we have Baker (who I would send out on loan next year, but as we don't loan players wont be) as back up so there is no need to offer palmer a new deal.

Matias, he has been a bad signing. Cant disagree. However, he is now fit and to be honest I have seen enough to think he can make a difference for us. Again with FFP in mind are we going to be able to get better for the money he is on ? I don't think so. Is it a risk yes ! But its one I would take for another year... SHOULD he stay fit for the rest of the season that is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Yes I would and my reasoning behind this is, Palmer has been one of our better players recently but he's been here a long time and he has never and will never be good enough. We need better and I think (may be wrong) we have brought it in with Iorfa. With FFP, we have Baker (who I would send out on loan next year, but as we don't loan players wont be) as back up so there is no need to offer palmer a new deal.

Matias, he has been a bad signing. Cant disagree. However, he is now fit and to be honest I have seen enough to think he can make a difference for us. Again with FFP in mind are we going to be able to get better for the money he is on ? I don't think so. Is it a risk yes ! But its one I would take for another year... SHOULD he stay fit for the rest of the season that is.

Matias is a luxury player we cannot afford to carry. Majority of the time he’s injured and the rest of the time he offers the square root of s0d all. Yes he runs around a lot but apart from that he doesn’t score very often, he creates nothing. You could get someone from the Kop to do the same job

• Haha 1

Isn't baker out of contract too? Palmers must be given a contract as he's a good player. Is he the best rb in the league? No. Can he perform when  needed and keep a new right back on his toes a d provide competition? Yes. Can baker? No. Palmers an owl and is working his socks off. 100% for me

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Matias? Based on what? Pretty much agree other than this. 

Matias, he has been a bad signing. Cant disagree. However, he is now fit and to be honest I have seen enough to think he can make a difference for us. With FFP in mind are we going to be able to get better for the money he is on ? I don't think so. Is it a risk yes ! But its one I would take for another year... SHOULD he stay fit for the rest of the season that is.

I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed next season if they think we are gonna hit the transfer market with multi millions. We should just leave Bruce to it and hope he can get some bargains. Some of the academy players are gonna have to step up as well.

6 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Palmer never has been and never will be good enough.

Yet his "replacement" Hasn't had a minute on the pitch because of his brilliance.

All Bruce is seeing at the moment is a very good right back or he would have given Iorfa a go. Nothing to do with the past or how long he has been here.

With Matias,  personally I don't mind if he stays. Does offer something different. But I think his wage is a lot more than most think and his omission from every match day squad under Bruce so far is telling to how he sees this player.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Palmer never has been and never will be good enough.

Yet his "replacement" Hasn't had a minute on the pitch because of his brilliance.

All Bruce is seeing at the moment is a very good right back or he would have given Iorfa a go. Nothing to do with the past or how long he has been here.

With Matias,  personally I don't mind if he stays. Does offer something different. But I think his wage is a lot more than most think and his omission from every match day squad under Bruce so far is telling to how he sees this player.

If that's case with Matias I cant argue with him being released.

And I do see your point with Palmer I really do. But if we are genuinely making a go at going up next year (not saying we are) you cant be happy with Palmer being our RB ??

His replacement I haven't seen a lot of but I will be honest what I have I have not been impressed with. However, I am reserving judgement until he has had a chance and hope to be proved wrong.

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

If that's case with Matias I cant argue with him being released.

And I do see your point with Palmer I really do. But if we are genuinely making a go at going up next year (not saying we are) you cant be happy with Palmer being our RB ??

His replacement I haven't seen a lot of but I will be honest what I have I have not been impressed with. However, I am reserving judgement until he has had a chance and hope to be proved wrong.

What I am seeing from Palmer at the moment is good enough for him and Iorfa to be our rightbacks next season.

Money will be tight. With the small wage Palmer is probably on. Bruce is probably looking at this as a no brainer.

34 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I qualify a winger on delivery, pace and end product

What is Matias supposed to be good at? He tracks back a little, that’s all I see from him 

57 minutes ago, briggowl said:

No coincidence that we're keeping clean sheets. I'm not even convinced it's his goal keeping that's the key, which is decent but more to do with his constant shouting and organisation. 

I agree, he is a leader, something we seem to lack in. Honestly believe it gives the defence more confidence knowing they have KW behind them in goal. 

1 hour ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Free flowing intricate passing was sussed out and ultimatly didn't come up to the mark enough to get us promoted

What annoys me was this wasn't sussed out. Second season there were some flashes but we became so fixed on not conceding.
We had one bad game, which happened to be the playoff final against Hull, and Carlos panicked. Second year we could have walked it had we not changed style. For Huddersfield to win the playoffs without scoring a single goal in normal time is criminal from both Us and Reading. Any attacking team would have ripped them apart, and we had the ability.  

Unfortunately now the majority of players have past their peak to make that system work, so needs a new start.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, thinking of the players out of contract I'd go with as below:

Abdi - release.

Hooper - release.

Lee - release.

Jones - release.

Boyd - release.

Matias - release.

Palmer - New deal.

Westwood - 1 year extension.

Just guess work but I reckon that alone would save us around £120k a week. That's enable us to bring in 3 decent loan players.

As for sales, it's always easier for us to say who we'd like to see go when there are no buyers but I'd like to see Van Aken, Nuhiu and Pelupessey.

I'd possibly loan out Wildsmith keeping Dawson as number 2 to Westwood (season after next he'd be number 1 with Wildsmith as 2) and I'd also like to see what Steve Bruce can get out of Jordan Rhodes. That said with FFP considerations I would consider offers for Rhodes, Forestier and Reach dependant on what the offers were.

Keep Westwood and Palmer and release all the others.

For the rest i would like to keep Lees, Bannan, Reach, Joao. All the others for a normal price could leave in an attempt to freshen up the squad. The first 4 i would consider selling at an inflated price. I would attempt to get Hector signed permanent or a season long loan and try and bring in some young loan players for the season next year. I think season long loans at least mean we have stability for the entire season from that player.