Summer Sort Out

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Agreed. I was on about how his injury record seems to be better now. And I just saw you put midfield beast. which to be fair hutch is good enough to be that just not one that goes box to box.

That mythical box to box type isn’t so easy to find now Back in the day, when sides played with wingers and two up front, there was room for players with good energy, to gallop through the uncluttered midfield wastelands That’s not the case now, with so many sides packing the midfield

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That mythical box to box type isn’t so easy to find now Back in the day, when sides played with wingers and two up front, there was room for players with good energy, to gallop through the uncluttered midfield wastelands That’s not the case now, with so many sides packing the midfield

We were/still are trying to turn Reach into one.

I’d honestly release pretty much as many as possible including the likes of Baker who are now early 20s and look ok but not top end of this league. Perhaps keep lee over the summer and offer him terms that reflect

the circumstances as he is a unique player but other than that we need to overhaul as much as possible. 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I’d honestly release pretty much as many as possible including the likes of Baker who are now early 20s and look ok but not top end of this league. Perhaps keep lee over the summer and offer him terms that reflect

the circumstances as he is a unique player but other than that we need to overhaul as much as possible. 

Might be worth having a look at Baker in a midfield role in these remaining U23 games He’s really not going to get a look in at full back due to Palmer’s form, and Iorfa’s arrival He’s also under pressure from young Dawodu from the academy

If the manager wants to see all the players in action, I suggest he doesn’t try to do that in the remaining league games Of course he can get to see most of them by having a look at a few different options on the bench, but no wholesale changes please. Better to use the remaining U23 games, where there is little at stake, to run the rule over the others Rules allow us to use 3 overage players plus a keeper, so let’s use that

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

get rid of the lot, i love Lee but hes finished, we need to accept it im afraid! This squad isnt good enough, we need to move on

Good thread this. Interesting to see varying views that as a result I have found myself being swayed one way then another as to who does and doesn't go/transfer listed. Above it all, I feel Westwood, Hector and Reach (unless £10m+ bid comes in) need to remain, anything else is fair game, be it through not being good enough or for us to raise some money. There are plenty who have either shown varying degrees of attitude, aptitude and fitness for too long. I can't be doing with players starting to get their fingers out of their arses just because they are out of contract at the end of the season (Nuihiu put pay to that) - the only exception being Palmer. He deserves a contract. I would also keep Wildsmith as No2.

12 minutes ago, EssexOwl said:

Good thread this. Interesting to see varying views that as a result I have found myself being swayed one way then another as to who does and doesn't go/transfer listed. Above it all, I feel Westwood, Hector and Reach (unless £10m+ bid comes in) need to remain, anything else is fair game, be it through not being good enough or for us to raise some money. There are plenty who have either shown varying degrees of attitude, aptitude and fitness for too long. I can't be doing with players starting to get their fingers out of their arses just because they are out of contract at the end of the season (Nuihiu put pay to that) - the only exception being Palmer. He deserves a contract. I would also keep Wildsmith as No2.

I’ve been doing some calculations on the different scenarios. If all the players  who are out of contract, including the loanees, leave, we will have a tighter, but hugely unbalanced squad. Of course, we can bring the numbers up, and try to rebalance the squad through by bringing in 3 or 4 loanees. With only four midfielders, all the recruitment will be in that particular department. 

That would leave us still with a few worries, an inexperienced keeper, only one right sided centre back, and no pace anywhere in the side. It strikes me, that we may need to sell someone like Reach, if we want to bring in Hector, or someone similar 

There’s no doubt that amongst our first team choices, there will remain many who some of us might prefer to be moved on. 

I think it would be unrealistic for us to think that Bruce can offload many of those still under contract, and even more unrealistic to think we might be bringing in the volume of players needed to replace them. Quite simply, I don’t think we will see the turnover that some foresee

Bruce will help the Chairman in his decisions I'm sure. Bruce is a football man where as DC ain't and he needs the guidance considering the shlte advisors he's had. Although I think this has already been taking place cos they've made a TV series out of it. :Chansiri:lol

Screenshot_20190215-200307.png

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve been doing some calculations on the different scenarios. If all the players  who are out of contract, including the loanees, leave, we will have a tighter, but hugely unbalanced squad. Of course, we can bring the numbers up, and try to rebalance the squad through by bringing in 3 or 4 loanees. With only four midfielders, all the recruitment will be in that particular department. 

That would leave us still with a few worries, an inexperienced keeper, only one right sided centre back, and no pace anywhere in the side. It strikes me, that we may need to sell someone like Reach, if we want to bring in Hector, or someone similar 

There’s no doubt that amongst our first team choices, there will remain many who some of us might prefer to be moved on. 

I think it would be unrealistic for us to think that Bruce can offload many of those still under contract, and even more unrealistic to think we might be bringing in the volume of players needed to replace them. Quite simply, I don’t think we will see the turnover that some foresee

I agree with all you say. I wasn't so much saying get rid of them all - just not so fussed on which players do end up leaving. The ones out of contract beyond Westy and Palmer, should go - unless Lee and Hoops show miraculous recovery and quality in the last month or so of the season. I do not think we'd be in a position to buy Hector - more likely season long loan. 

Release:

Pudil

Jones

Abdi

Boyd

Matias

Sell:

Van Aken

Fox

Baker

Pelupessy

Nuhui

Undecided:

Lee

Hooper

New Contracts:

Westwood

Palmer

Sign:

2 x CB

Quality LB

Strong Defensive Midfielder 

Attacking Centre Midfielder

2 x Fast wingers

1 hour ago, chizumgeorge said:

get rid of the lot, i love Lee but hes finished, we need to accept it im afraid! This squad isnt good enough, we need to move on

Exactly lee and hooper are the first names to bin off . The fact that anybody would consider offering two 30 something crocks a new deal is astounding . The squad is slow , stale and ageing . It needs a desperate over haul 

Some of the players owe the club; although they obviously don’t want to be injured, at the end of the day that’s what they were paid to do. 

I’d hope that if we were to keep Lee and Hooper, they would accept a very low base and pay as you play contract. 

But it I suspect Lee will retire if he has one more set back. 

22 minutes ago, EssexOwl said:

I agree with all you say. I wasn't so much saying get rid of them all - just not so fussed on which players do end up leaving. The ones out of contract beyond Westy and Palmer, should go - unless Lee and Hoops show miraculous recovery and quality in the last month or so of the season. I do not think we'd be in a position to buy Hector - more likely season long loan. 

Yes I’d like us to keep Westwood and Palmer May also consider Matias, if we aren’t able to bring in any attacking pace. Not sure Chelsea would want to loan us Hector in the last year of his contract. We’d likely have to sell, and then try and buy him. I’d love both him and Onomah back here next season

Not read all of the thread but which of our players can be part of a promotion winning team:

...................................Westwood

___________......Lees..................Hector...............Penney

..........................Bannan............Hutchinson

Reach........................Forestieri...................___________

.............................Fletcher/Joao

I would be trying everything to sign Hector on a perm.

I would imagine a fully fit Iorfa would hold down the right back spot or be back up at CB.

Major question marks over Hooper, Lee and Winnall, fitness needs to be proved between now and May for Hooper and Lee.

Palmer and Fox are not top end Championship fullbacks Palmer provides adequate back up for the odd game Fox should move on.

Penney, Thorniley, Dawson and Wildsmith are full of potential.

Release or try to move on the following:

Van Aken, Fox, Jones, Pelupessy, Boyd, Abdi, Nuhiu and Matias.

Sign the following:

A bully in CM.

A right back and left back of top championship quality.

3 pacey players to play in the attacking midfield areas.

3 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Release:

Pudil

Jones

Abdi

Boyd

Matias

Sell:

Van Aken

Fox

Baker

Pelupessy

Nuhui

Undecided:

Lee

Hooper

New Contracts:

Westwood

Palmer

Sign:

2 x CB

Quality LB

Strong Defensive Midfielder 

Attacking Centre Midfielder

2 x Fast wingers

You're suggesting that we sign seven players whilst releasing five, thus making our squad bigger. SB has already said he wants it to be significantly smaller. Another problem might revolve around our ability to sign players under FFP rules. I know you suggest selling a few but that will not be easy as  those you highlight would not command high fees (Fox might be out of contract anyway) but  I can't see who would want them as wages might be a problem for the standard of team likely to be interested.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:43, gurujuan said:

From what I understand, none of those youngsters, bar perhaps Hunt, are likely to make it  The decision by Jos to elevate so many of them to the fringes of the first team, was one of the most bizarre decisions of his tenure

gurujaun, I like your posts, you make many good points, and I learn a lot from them...but...both Penney and Thorniley are worth more game time, I know, Penney is rather seriously injured, a shame, because he looked so good on the left wing, he didn't pass it downfield, he ran it downfield, fast, and nobody could stop him.  Baker is worth a further look, yes, we already have two qualified RB's, in Palmer & Iorfa, and Iorfa is signed, I think.  So why keep Baker?  Because somebody's going to have to replace Palmer, or Iorfa, maybe not next year, or the next.  Baker with the right coaching could be a great RB/WB.  As it stands, looks like Iorfa is going to have to de-throne Palmer, and he may well, then Baker can be the sub.  I don't know, maybe Iorfa will mentor Baker.

Borukov.  Seems to me the natural replacement for the Nuhiu Out proponents, he's certainly more agile, 6'3" and 200+(?) pounds, scores a lot, loves the lone-frontman role, and can head a cross, even a lousy one, into the back of the net, he doesn't give the ball away, and he's not afraid of any opposition.  Preston?  Kirby?  

Your thoughts, please.

Edited by Neon Nick

On 14/02/2019 at 14:37, gurujuan said:

Palmer has been outstanding recently and in my mind, he should definitely get a new contract It’s a bit of a myth that’s trotted out about him being not good enough previously He was actually awarded player of the season previously

Oh come off it. Outstanding? Not exaggerating.

I’m gonna be of his biggest critics and have been able to offer proof and back up why. Those that defend him never to the facts I’ve presented in the past.

I will say however he’s looked much better recently. If he keeps up this form I’d have no qualms him finishing the season in this position. Looks a championship quality right back, which imo he hasn’t in several years. The chavcevge creates for Reach last minute vs Reading was fantastic. I can’t thiink of him making a great run behind a full back, bursting into the box, getting his head up and finding a man hardly ever. I’d love video evidence of him doing this even 5-10 times his whole career for us. They system we play our full backs should do this weekly. 

Also lets not throw him off because he got player of the year 5 odd years ago. That season he wasn’t exactly impressive, or even best of a bad bunch. We were made up of mostly loans and players not playing often. Fans were much more complimentary and lenient because he was a young lad playing an alien position. That’s why he got player of the season. Not because he was excellent.

As for a new deal, several games ago I would have said not a chance. Now I don’t know. He’s ok back up. By that I mean League 1, very lower end champ. Get we get better or on par for the same cost. I’m not sure. 

On 15/02/2019 at 01:08, james o connor said:

And hasn’t played for over a year and is nearly 31. Jesus wept , he’s top of the deadwood pile 

Whilst I agree with you to a point. 31 is nothing. Plenty of older strikers in this league doing the business. 

If and it’s a HUGE if he can get fit and prove it, his style of play would allow him to play until his late 30’s. First yard in his head. 

Personally I do think he will be released and should be as I don’t think he will get fit and stay that way. But writing off a 31 year old with his attributes I strongly disagree with.

I seriously hope he proves us wrong because there is undoubted quality there. 

• Like 1