Could have been...

I'd have taken 4 points from the last 2 games and whether you think the team is anywhere near good enough or not, there would still be the distant glimmer of doing something this season.

Not beating Reading sums up everything that is wrong with this team and being a touch controversial, we'd have likely won the game 1-0 under CC and this place would have seen thread after thread of outrage because we didn't win 4-0.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Looking on the bright side in the twelve games since Jo’s left we’ve conceded eight goals. Three v Chelsea and hull respectively , leaving two in ten from the remainder. That’s a very impressive defensive record from a team that couldn’t keep a clean sheet and wa# shipping goals for fun.  IF we could hooper fit and firing the goals would come. If not then hopefully a new striker is top of the shopping list for summer.

What bright side?  We have turned from a side scoring and shipping goals like water to  aside that refuses to concede, and score.

Whilst I am  firm believer in building from the back, and totally agree with the tightening of the defence, this has served only to show our weaknesses. We now arre being shown that our midfield and forward lines are not good enough, AND NEVER HAVE BEEN.. Even our 'rock-solid' defence! We have met two Premiership sides  this season, and shipped 6 goals. Hardly the sign of a good side. The little word 'IF' is like the goalpost, one side and its a goal, the other might as well hit the corner flag.. My old Grandma God rest her soul, always said during the wartime, 'If ifs and buts were apples and nuts, wouldn't we fill our little guts.'. 

Football is a simple game - you put the ball in the back of their net legally more often than they do to yours!!!!   

We are where we are because we deserve to be over the season so far. We aren't good enough, there's something amiss with the squad that must be to do with the personalities and how they interact. Some of the players are capable of playing for teams at the top but for some reason as a unit they don't consistently bring out the best in each other. Something is either missing or gets in the way of us consistently performing at the required level.

When CC was in charge we never played well in the first half, ok 'never' might be a stretch but we often didn't turn up for the first half and then could turn it on in the second half. It was strange and very frustrating. If we were just generally rubbish you can sort of accept it but when you know they can rip teams a new one it's galling when they play the first half like they haven't seen a football before.

I can forgive Bruce for the poor first half in the last game, he's still finding the best team and system. I hope he can cure the malaise but I suspect it runs deep and we will need a root and branch clear out to get rid of the problem. If we allow the 'dynamic' that is causing the problem to remain I think we will struggle. I do wonder if it's the personalities from that first season under Carlos that have formed a clique that excludes the newer signings. The players say they are all together, one happy family but I do wonder how true that really is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, prowl said:

I do wonder if it's the personalities from that first season under Carlos that have formed a clique that excludes the newer signings. The players say they are all together, one happy family but I do wonder how true that really is.

CC's whole ethos of team management fostered, fed, strengthened and rewarded "the clique", the core inside the first 11 and also required a dash of the outsiders to nourish the particular team ethic he nurtured.  It very nearly came off - twice!

If you can appreciate  this then you can explain a lot of what has happened at the club during his 3rd season in particular and again following his departure.

Guest LittleG
8 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

If my auntie had a **** she’d be my uncle!! 

On a a serious note...it just proves the fine margins that define seasons. 

Come to think of it there's always been something strange about my Auntie Harry.

I’m glad we are nowhere near. Saves us the embarrassment of losing to the pigs or Leeds when we inevitably choked again. This squad has no leadership, direction or drive whatsoever. Just 11 shirts aimlessly drifting around a football pitch.

14 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

What jos did to this team will never be forgiven or forgotten by me I'm afraid. Between him and Carlos they wasted a golden opportunity. All we needed after Wembley was a beast in the middle and some pace, maybe not even the beast. Pace was needed though and nobody but the fans saw it. Criminal. 

And yet Bruce had been in position less than a day, and signed three players fitting that requirement.

To be fair to Jos, he didn't really get the opportunity to add what was required. He can be criticised for a lot of things, but squad building, he can not.