Credit to Steve Bruce

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

TBF, and this is not slagging Bruce, Bullen initially sorted the defence when he brought KW and SH back into the team.

Granted Steve Bruce has not changed (apart from Lees injury) a settled back four after that, which has again paid dividends.

Bruce would have done the same thing though wouldn't he. 

Me or you could have gone in and sorted out the defence after Jos.

lol

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Bruce came in and the first thing he said was you can't win games if you concede two every match. He has conceded none. ok as you say against poor sides.   

But we also had enough chances in all three matches to win 6 games let alone three.  Less so yesterday granted.

Defence was the number one priority to sort and he has done that with what some on here would describe as the worst full backs in our history. He has them looking like good defenders. 

Give him some credit for what he has achieved so far in the time he has been here.

We have tightened up since Jos left with the main reason being Hutch and Westwood back and a settled back 4. But we seem to be one or the other team all defence or all attack, why have we suddenly stopped scoring goals when we are defending properly.

32 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Bruce came in and the first thing he said was you can't win games if you concede two every match. He has conceded none. ok as you say against poor sides.   

But we also had enough chances in all three matches to win 6 games let alone three.  Less so yesterday granted.

Defence was the number one priority to sort and he has done that with what some on here would describe as the worst full backs in our history. He has them looking like good defenders. 

Give him some credit for what he has achieved so far in the time he has been here.

Quite an important point that. 

If our finishing had been even slightly better, we should have beaten Ipswich by 3 or 4 and Reading by a couple as well 

50 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We have tightened up since Jos left with the main reason being Hutch and Westwood back and a settled back 4. But we seem to be one or the other team all defence or all attack, why have we suddenly stopped scoring goals when we are defending properly.

He is changing the attacking positions quite a bit looking for the right blend. He will get it eventually.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Are you sure as the whole problem under Jos was we changed our system each game.

Players know 4-4-2 and we should play it, can we change in a match if needed to go more attacking and 4-3-3 or more defensive and go 4-5-1, yes but the good managers start with what they know and change in the match if needed.

Anyone who has watch any games over the last 4 years knows Bannan cannot play left wing, so for me, yes after 45 minutes it was change but it never should have happened in the first place. Reach, Matias, Forestieri all left wing players why play central midfield Bannan there I just don't get it.

Why not against Rotherham we play Forestieri at left back then after 45 minutes realise he cannot play there these sort of thing should be tried on the training ground not in games. Last night we played that way so we could shoe horn 3 central midfielders into a midfield 4, it didn't work under Carlos with the same player why do we suddenly think it will work now. 

I have a lot of time for Steve Bruce but he needs to stop making the same mistakes of previous managers, players out of position, the team only performing for 45 minutes out of 90, giving away soft goals, playing players who are not fit, player players who are not performing, not giving every player a chance.

Take the bench last night the 3 loan guys 2 of which still have not played a single minute yet, if they are not match fit why are they not playing in the development squad, where is Winnall, Matias, Jones. Can we really say Nuhiu is a better option that Winnall he has shown with his 2 goals in 25 games that he need offloading in the summer. 

Bruces coaching staff have been here since December the team is a lot more defensively sound but if you play the same players in a unit with experienced performers such as hutch and Westwood this will happen, but what is happening up the other end Reach and Bannan have massively dropped off from early season form, Fletcher simple does not score enough goals, Fessi still does not look match fit and Joao your guess is a good as mine one game great the next a passenger. A lot of work needs to be done because we have struggled against two very poor teams.

Let finish the week on a high and get 3 points against Toy Town.

bruce hasn't been watching us play all season, how can he be expected to know what other managers have seen during their stints in charge?

as for the rest of your post, I agree.

it worries me how many of our players (including the stars) are proving not fit for purpose in any coming promotion challenge, and thus maybe marking their card for an end of season exit.

i too think winnall should be given a crack, that nuhiu has no worth to us whatsoever anymore, as for matias and jones, well the less said the better, time for a clear out.

We all have our opinions about formations and the players who should be playing. However, a couple of things really do stand out irrespective of who suits up each game.

Firstly, can anyone remember the last time a midfielder put a through ball for a forward to run onto and score. I am probably wrong, but Joao away at Forest last year springs to mind.

Secondly, when did a midfielder run past the forward line and score

In the big scheme of things, the points above may seem trivial, but I think they do highlight a couple of glaring deficiencies in our squad, which successive managers have failed to address and or correct.

4 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

We all have our opinions about formations and the players who should be playing. However, a couple of things really do stand out irrespective of who suits up each game.

Firstly, can anyone remember the last time a midfielder put a through ball for a forward to run onto and score. I am probably wrong, but Joao away at Forest last year springs to mind.

Secondly, when did a midfielder run past the forward line and score

In the big scheme of things, the points above may seem trivial, but I think they do highlight a couple of glaring deficiencies in our squad, which successive managers have failed to address and or correct.

Spot on With this observation.

I know the forwards have missed a couple of chances recently but for at least 2 years we have depended mostly on the forwards creating chances for themselves or a wonder strike from somewhere.

Not saying the forwards are doing a good job, but the midfield and wide players are more to blame in this respect.

Bruce has been known to play 2 more commanding (physique wise) central midfielders in his last teams which is why he went with Hutchinson and Pelupessy. Unfortunately we then lacked the creativity which is more of headache.

Just go with what get some results between now and the end of the season. Then it's a rebuild

Don’t matter what formation he plays the team is poor . So many stale (bannan, forestieri ) or crap (massive list )players  that all imo need moving on. It’s nice to see the improvement of fox , Palmer, lees as well as thorniley and hector playing . Anything I’m fromt of the, though is dire.  Not one midfield / striker I’d be sad to see the back off