Credit to Steve Bruce

For over 2 years several managers have tried and failed to get this squad of players to perform as a team.

Steve Bruce could have taken the easy option and stayed with the same system but he has quickly recognised the problems and tried something different, last night using Bannan wider. He gave it 45 minutes realised it's not working and changed it.

Other than against United, for the rest of this season I hope he tries different systems and formations to hopefully unlock the full potential of these players.

its not really about results now this season it's about building a platform to move forward with.

• Like 4

Are you sure as the whole problem under Jos was we changed our system each game.

Players know 4-4-2 and we should play it, can we change in a match if needed to go more attacking and 4-3-3 or more defensive and go 4-5-1, yes but the good managers start with what they know and change in the match if needed.

Anyone who has watch any games over the last 4 years knows Bannan cannot play left wing, so for me, yes after 45 minutes it was change but it never should have happened in the first place. Reach, Matias, Forestieri all left wing players why play central midfield Bannan there I just don't get it.

Why not against Rotherham we play Forestieri at left back then after 45 minutes realise he cannot play there these sort of thing should be tried on the training ground not in games. Last night we played that way so we could shoe horn 3 central midfielders into a midfield 4, it didn't work under Carlos with the same player why do we suddenly think it will work now. 

I have a lot of time for Steve Bruce but he needs to stop making the same mistakes of previous managers, players out of position, the team only performing for 45 minutes out of 90, giving away soft goals, playing players who are not fit, player players who are not performing, not giving every player a chance.

Take the bench last night the 3 loan guys 2 of which still have not played a single minute yet, if they are not match fit why are they not playing in the development squad, where is Winnall, Matias, Jones. Can we really say Nuhiu is a better option that Winnall he has shown with his 2 goals in 25 games that he need offloading in the summer. 

Bruces coaching staff have been here since December the team is a lot more defensively sound but if you play the same players in a unit with experienced performers such as hutch and Westwood this will happen, but what is happening up the other end Reach and Bannan have massively dropped off from early season form, Fletcher simple does not score enough goals, Fessi still does not look match fit and Joao your guess is a good as mine one game great the next a passenger. A lot of work needs to be done because we have struggled against two very poor teams.

Let finish the week on a high and get 3 points against Toy Town.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

He has yet to concede a goal and has been in charge for 3 games.

Pretty obvious every player is getting a chance and a clean slate - he's said it often enough.....

You are far more reluctant to change than SB as you continue to post absolute fuckingdrivel.

You seem to not have had your meds again.

We have 3 clean sheets against crap sides - woop woop, we should have won all three games but instead we have scored just 3 goals in 8 games.

Yes we have tightened up at the back but if you asked anyone in he crowd or on here can Barry Bannan play left wing …………………… what do you think the answer would be.

I don't think Winnall has had any game time yet we cannot scored goals, so for me give all the strikers a chance to see what they can do, none of the loan signing other than 20 minutes for Aarons have played any games yet - should they not be given a chance, Fox was poor once again last night but for Thorniley playing outstanding once again cover when Fox got lost up front. A real bright point for me and I hope he is given a decent run in the team even when Les is fit.

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yes we have tightened up at the back but if you asked anyone in he crowd or on here can Barry Bannan play left wing …………………… what do you think the answer would be.

Apart from it working for the entirey of the 2015/2016 season...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We have 3 clean sheets against crap sides - woop woop, we should have won all three games but instead we have scored just 3 goals in 8 games.

I don't think Winnall has had any game time yet we cannot scored goals, so for me give all the strikers a chance to see what they can do, none of the loan signing other than 20 minutes for Aarons have played any games yet - should they not be given a chance, Fox was poor once again last night but for Thorniley playing outstanding once again cover when Fox got lost up front. A real bright point for me and I hope he is given a decent run in the team even when Les is fit.

Dont they count then ? 

5 Points from 2 away games and one at home we should have won , thats promotion form that is 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, billyblack said:

So is Abdi on a clean slate as well or is he just out for good or missing limbs?

The slate looked clean, but was actually well slippery. He's now done his ankle. Back in two weeks!

Edited by bobness

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Bruce came in and the first thing he said was you can't win games if you concede two every match. He has conceded none. ok as you say against poor sides.   

But we also had enough chances in all three matches to win 6 games let alone three.  Less so yesterday granted.

Defence was the number one priority to sort and he has done that with what some on here would describe as the worst full backs in our history. He has them looking like good defenders. 

Give him some credit for what he has achieved so far in the time he has been here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yep 3 goals scored in 8 games mostly playing 442 that you want to stick with.  We need to change something from an attacking perspective, the options are change personnel or change the tactics, we keep swapping the personnel around with no succcess so Steve Bruce tried different tactics for 45 minutes last night.

Like you I would like to see Winnal given a proper run out although in the cameo appearances that he has been given he has not looked very sharp.

Jos had some success last season playing 433, maybe a different manager with a full playing staff at his disposal could get that system working, who knows unless you give it a try.

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Fox was poor really lol defensively we had a few moments but in general we were fine.

Going forward we didn't create enough chances that was the problem.

Guest LittleG
26 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I have my own thoughts about what formation we should play but this squad needs freshening up. It’s clear as day, this squad of players has ‘had it’. 2 failed play off campaigns, hoarding players and ageing crocks is culminating in sub par performances. 

Fully agree and it's got to a stage now where you have to ask " are any of the midfield and forwards worth keeping". Our goal scoring is feeble and at times our midfield is very poor.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Bruce came in and the first thing he said was you can't win games if you concede two every match. He has conceded none. ok as you say against poor sides.   

But we also had enough chances in all three matches to win 6 games let alone three.  Less so yesterday granted.

Defence was the number one priority to sort and he has done that with what some on here would describe as the worst full backs in our history. He has them looking like good defenders. 

Give him some credit for what he has achieved so far in the time he has been here.

TBF, and this is not slagging Bruce, Bullen initially sorted the defence when he brought KW and SH back into the team.

Granted Steve Bruce has not changed (apart from Lees injury) a settled back four after that, which has again paid dividends.