Hector & Thorniley...

Lees is a good player, I feel Thorniley is a better player though with better positioning, better attacking of the ball and better distribution.

When Lees has the ball in defence he makes me nervous and always looks to pass backwards or sideways, Thorniley looks forward or sideways.

Thorniley should be the first defender on the team sheet and let Lees and Hector fight it out for the other. At the moment Hector has it.

Both looked solid, their shirt to lose and Lees needs to earn his place back. 

Hector has been immense of late, the ball seems to be attracted towards him and Thornily is a good no nonsense defender, hardly puts a foot wrong and consistent in his performances for a young player. Got caught a couple of times positionally late on down the channel, probably due to fatigue, but his clearance off the line in the second half was crucial.

3 hours ago, victorturner said:

That may be the answer. Got to play the decent players.

I think it creates more problems than it solves. Firstly we don’t have the wing backs to make the system work, and secondly we don’t have the right midfield players. I like this settled back four, and Lees will just have to wait for his return

I wasn`t sure about Thorniley at first but i have to say he is slowly winning me over.

There are still times where he can be a bit careless and rash but he seems to be steadily improving all the time and you cant ask for much more than that.

Edited by sheriwozgod

4 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I wasn`t sure about Thorniley at first but i have to say he is slowly winning me over.

There are still times where he can be a bit careless and rash but he seems to be steadily improving all the time and you cant ask for much more than that.

You can see he's learning (either from game time, or his teammates), getting a bit cuter.  Nudging strikers just before their jump, winning free kicks by 'letting' himself get fouled, holding people down so they can't jump, etc.  

Guest Jack the Hat

For me Lees biggest disadvantage isn't his poor passing but  his lack of leadership. With his age and experience he should be able to command his defence but he can't . He really struggled without Westwood loovens or Hutch telling him what to do. As a team we lack big game players and leaders. Thornily and Hector seem to have this, which is great. 

It's not either or for me.

I think we will need all three.

If Hector gets injured, picks up a suspension then it will be Lees and Thorniley. 

Definitely gives us that extra depth in defence, especially if you count that Iorfa can play there, and Pudil also.