Jump to content
S36 OWL

One Goal In Last Three Games Against Three Of Bottom Five Teams

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, FirthParkOwl said:

Scintillating stuff. Unbeaten record and 3 clean sheets, this Bruce is a wonder man.! OGS had best be looking over his shoulder!!!

 

Aye, it would be interesting if we could swap Fletcher, Joao and Nuhiu for Martial, Rashford and Pogba for a month or two to see if it had any effect on the two managers' fortunes. 

 

lol

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time we scored 2 goals in a game was Rotherham at home on the 8th December.

 

Since then we’ve scored 8 goals in 13 games. 

 

They’re grim stats. The entertainers we ain’t 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing any new manager has to do with a club in our position is steady the ship and make us hard to beat. Bruce is/has done that... Developing an identity and style going forward comes after the defensive foundations have been laid. Give the bloke some time FFS.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Owl Be Back said:

First thing any new manager has to do with a club in our position is steady the ship and make us hard to beat. Bruce is/has done that... Developing an identity and style going forward comes after the defensive foundations have been laid. Give the bloke some time FFS.

Wholeheartedly agree.  Bruce hit the deck running, he didn't waste any time, got some new Players, shored up the defense, and he's probably working out the offense as this is written.  The strikers are getting chances, good chances, more than a few "sitters" too, they just can't put the ball in, and that's since day 1 of this season.  However, somebody had to stop the massive goal leak, and Bruce did, took him about ten minutes to shore that leak up.   Now he's looking at the offense, and it's beginning to show, those first ~20 minutes of the Reading match last Saturday were the best Wednesday has looked in probably 20 years.  If our strikers keep missing sitters, they'll be either sitting on the bench, or in the unemployment line.  

 

Why not try Borukov?  He's big, physically tough, and loves the lone-frontman role, plus, he's got a reputation for using his head, I'd have to look it up, but think that a fair number of his goals are headers.  19 years old isn't too young.  He's fast, a good a hold-up man, doesn't give the ball away, and any opponent who try's to push him around, will be collecting his teeth, with a broom-rake.  He is not injury prone.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sova said:

We beat all three under Jos. In fact, although we've done quite well to get 8 points in the 5 league games since Lee Bullen was replaced as caretaker, we got 10 against those teams under Jos, albeit with 3 home games not 2. We've also scored 3 goals in the last 8 games in all competitions.

You're right get Jos back in now 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we got a natural goal scorer? Don’t think that we have, other than Hooper and he’s crocked. There’s Rhodes of course and it will be interesting to see whether Bruce can make the most of his undoubted attributes.

We certainly can’t continue wth Fletcher flicking it on to nobody whilst  for Joao to blossom .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We looked far better with the 4-3-3 Bullen was playing...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sova said:

We beat all three under Jos. In fact, although we've done quite well to get 8 points in the 5 league games since Lee Bullen was replaced as caretaker, we got 10 against those teams under Jos, albeit with 3 home games not 2. We've also scored 3 goals in the last 8 games in all competitions.

And your point is......the fella has been here a few weeks, clearly done something to smarten us up in the back. Although we are poor up front, no denying that, we appear to be difficult to beat. When was the last time we could say that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The " superstars " ( uses term lightly ) need to take a good look at themselves. Robbing a wage and not doing the job. Can't be ar5ed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot is made of the strikers we currently have at the club but how many of them have a proven track record of scoring goals at this level?

 

I know there’s a lot more to the games of Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao but we have 2 strikers on our books have scored 20 goals in a Championship season and that’s Hooper who’s always injured and Rhodes who is currently warming the bench at Norwich.

 

Thisbos very much a work in progress and Bruce won’t be able to address this problem until the Summer at the earliest.

 

It’s a big job and he’s going to need a lot of time and patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need an attacking midfielder box to box,shows how much we miss Lee....

Play FF Joao and Winnall if match fit...

Bench Fletch drop Boyd rest Reach

Leave back 5....

Is Bannan now suspended??afyer yellow??..

Mix it up a bit and take a look at players,new lads give em a run...

Toytown comming up n Blunts,if we dont score we aint winning sh it.....

UTO FTB

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Utterly Unacceptable . Surely Bruce will be looking to address this in the summer. 

This has  been our main problem for the last 3 season.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Screw That. He should address it at the weekend 

 

Cant say you have an embarrassment of riches to choose from and then return those results without changes

 

I'd probably describe it as an embarrassment of  numbers rather than riches!

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW

 

What a set of moaning whinging barstewards

 

Ive seen every game we've played since Jos was finally fecked off (about 10 months too late)

 

We couldn't buy a clean sheet while the 'defensive expert' was manager - we've now got 8 in 12. Bruce is rotating, experimenting. He said following last nights game that he'd learned something about Bannan - we didnt start playing til he was switched back into the centre. He also learned something about Pelepussy. That he should be on an airplane to anywhere but Sheffield and never ever feature for us again.

 

Its an experimental remainder of the season - expect many changes, expect nights like last night. Its actually quite refreshing to go to games again confident that we won't lose.

 

If you don't like that - just stop going altogether until we start competing at the top end of the table again. Cos you all sound like bloody glory hunters

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agnews defensive tactics sucked the life out of the side after it looked ok under Bullen.

 

Bruce need to reverse this and get us to be more positive.

 

Starting with Pelupessy and Hutch in midfield won’t resolve it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we were looking stronger towards the end of the game last night. I reckon that if we'd played for another couple of hours we'd probably have scored.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just all need to play 10 yards further forward -  we are keeping clean sheets because we have 9 men behind the ball for the vast majority of the game!

 

We then can't break as we have the pace of Dads Army.

 

Bannan and Hutchinson picking the ball off the centre backs starts us off on the back foot. Hector is more than capable of starting off play, use the full backs and then Bannan, and the wide men can support the forwards.

 

It's auto pilot and being safe at the minute. 

 

We have the base, now we have to be a bit braver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Wholeheartedly agree.  Bruce hit the deck running, he didn't waste any time, got some new Players, shored up the defense, and he's probably working out the offense as this is written.  The strikers are getting chances, good chances, more than a few "sitters" too, they just can't put the ball in, and that's since day 1 of this season.  However, somebody had to stop the massive goal leak, and Bruce did, took him about ten minutes to shore that leak up.   Now he's looking at the offense, and it's beginning to show, those first ~20 minutes of the Reading match last Saturday were the best Wednesday has looked in probably 20 years.  If our strikers keep missing sitters, they'll be either sitting on the bench, or in the unemployment line.  

 

Why not try Borukov?  He's big, physically tough, and loves the lone-frontman role, plus, he's got a reputation for using his head, I'd have to look it up, but think that a fair number of his goals are headers.  19 years old isn't too young.  He's fast, a good a hold-up man, doesn't give the ball away, and any opponent who try's to push him around, will be collecting his teeth, with a broom-rake.  He is not injury prone.

I don't think Bruce shared the back line up, bullen and started that before his assistants landed, settled back four and goalkeeper and we've looked solid since then. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

I'd probably describe it as an embarrassment of  numbers rather than riches!

 

 

 

Me too Snoots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

First thing any new manager has to do with a club in our position is steady the ship and make us hard to beat. Bruce is/has done that... Developing an identity and style going forward comes after the defensive foundations have been laid. Give the bloke some time FFS.

 

I partly agree. 3 clean sheets is welcome, but it has to be noted that these were against 3 of the bottom 5 teams. Let's not get carried away and assume our defensive issues are sorted, because better teams will probably find a way through.

Having said that, I don't think there's any need to panic (yet). There are definitely worse teams in the Championship and we should be able to grind out enough results to stay up. And with every game Bruce will be learning more about the players at his disposal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...