U23s v L**ds (h)

12 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Quite a few U23s are out of contract.  Can see most getting released as we have 50 pros currently and a few of the U18s have already signed pro for next season.

Out of contract

Connor O'Grady

Liam Williams

Warren Clarke

Fraser Preston

Dan Wallis

Frederik Nielsen

Jordan Lonchar

Joe West

Ciaran Brennan

Ben Hughes

Cameron McCulloch

So if they all go, from the group, which until this year, has been quite successful results wise, we will have produced Thorniley and Penney. Plus I suppose, Hirst and Clare, for whom we received minimal fees. Too be honest, that isn’t too bad, and it shows how difficult it is for youngsters to progress, even when they’ve earned their first professional contract. Yesterday’s opponents Leeds though, have seen four of five of their lads progress through to being first team regulars, with already players such as Clarke, able to command a big fee. 

Hopefully some of the lads we release, may still forge careers in the game elsewhere, as they make way for the next batch of hopefuls

56 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I think one or two may het another year ie Ben Hughes who has made the most appearances for U23's and Fraser Preston who has made his debut for he first teame only this season.  It seems to be defenders that we are loaded with.

Think Ben would be pushed next season by Dawodu for the right back spot

3 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I think one or two may het another year ie Ben Hughes who has made the most appearances for U23's and Fraser Preston who has made his debut for he first teame only this season.  It seems to be defenders that we are loaded with.

I once went to a Q&A with the infamous  Alan Irvine who said the reason we produce so few attaking players is that they're all picked up by the bigger clubs when they're really young as that's where the money is. They know they can pick up a water carrier later on without spending too much.

2 hours ago, Nut said:

I once went to a Q&A with the infamous  Alan Irvine who said the reason we produce so few attaking players is that they're all picked up by the bigger clubs when they're really young as that's where the money is. They know they can pick up a water carrier later on without spending too much.

I’m sure there’s some truth in that Until recently, it was also thought that other local teams had the next pick, with Wednesday taking the leftovers It does seem to have changed now though, even if it means us looking further afield

On 12/02/2019 at 19:45, Etchesketch said:

Quite a few U23s are out of contract.  Can see most getting released as we have 50 pros currently and a few of the U18s have already signed pro for next season.

Out of contract

Connor O'Grady

Liam Williams

Warren Clarke

Fraser Preston

Dan Wallis

Frederik Nielsen

Jordan Lonchar

Joe West

Ciaran Brennan

Ben Hughes

Cameron McCulloch

Lonchar left b4 xmas. hes playing for Worksop u19s

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gavlad said:

Lonchar left b4 xmas. hes playing for Worksop u19s

What, left for good or out on loan?

Surprised me this, as there's been no announcement as far as I'm aware from either club

But a bit of internet sleuthing this morning says you're right

He apparently made his debut for their U19s a month back (second half sub and scored three in the last 20mins) then bagged two more in a game a week or so later

And that's all I can find - he doesn't seem part of their 1st team squad

Which begs the question -

Why would a player who's under contract until this summer swap our U23s (8 starts + 3 as sub) for their U19s?

Odd  :mellow:

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Has John’s lad been given a professional contract, I know a few of the U18s have

... or Eyad Hammoud?

I'd really like to see that young 'un tied to a professional deal and all

Borukov is apparently struggling to step up a level(?) I hope it doesn't influence Hammoud's decision to pick up the pen

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

... or Eyad Hammoud?

I'd really like to see that young 'un tied to a professional deal and all

Borukov is apparently struggling to step up a level(?) I hope it doesn't influence Hammoud's decision to pick up the pen

Yes, although Hammoud can still play for the U18s next season, but I don’t think O’Brien can Might be wrong though

23 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Surprised me this, as there's been no announcement as far as I'm aware from either club

He apparently made his debut for their U19s a month back (second half sub and scored three in the last 20mins) then bagged two more in a game a week or so later

Why would a player who's under contract until this summer swap our U23s (8 starts + 3 as sub) for their U19s?

He perhaps has been told early that he wasn't going to get  new contract and so has left ticking over at Worksop whilst trying to get trials at other clubs?

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, although Hammoud can still play for the U18s next season, but I don’t think O’Brien can Might be wrong though

Three second year scholars haven't signed pro contracts as of yet. Don't know if they will be offered or not. Josh Render, Jordan O'Brien and Eyad Hammoud.

This is Hammoud's second year as a scholar so he shouldn't be eligible for the U18's next season. 

On 15/02/2019 at 09:01, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes very surprising that he has been released so early.  Just checked and his profile has been removed from the website so must be permanant.  He was meant to be the best prospect in his year really.  Signed pro as soon as he was 17 barely into the first year of his scholarship.

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

Yes very surprising that he has been released so early.  Just checked and his profile has been removed from the website so must be permanant.  He was meant to be the best prospect in his year really.  Signed pro as soon as he was 17 barely into the first year of his scholarship.

Seems to be yet another example of a talented forward player that looks the part in our academy but for some reason doesn't make the grade here? Goalkeepers and defenders seem to do but it seems to be a totally different story when the it comes to creative/attacking players? Hopefully this will change under Bruce?

25 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Seems to be yet another example of a talented forward player that looks the part in our academy but for some reason doesn't make the grade here? Goalkeepers and defenders seem to do but it seems to be a totally different story when the it comes to creative/attacking players? Hopefully this will change under Bruce?

Maybe off field issues.  It seems odd for someone to get released who at that point had been a regular in the U23's.  Others in his age groupmhave been in and out of the team.