Millwall - V - Wednesday OMDT

Not enough movement as an attacking unit. So many times players were looking for a pass but couldn’t find one. The whole attacking unit was too static. Was evident in open play and throw-ins. As a consequence the ball keeps going backwards and the defence has all the time in the world to get organised.

Players need a rocket up them.

3 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Calm down fannies 

Do you really expect Bruce to turn this round in 3 games ?

even though we are still unbeaten?

some decent performances tonight mainly in defence but no easy games in this division 

Thing is, nobody's expecting us to bang them in, nobody's expecting us to win every game. But we should be able to expect a bit of intent surely? Some purpose and actually look like we want to win a game? Is that honestly too much to ask?

There will be screams for wholesale changes but in truth you can't blame Bruce for sticking primarily with this starting eleven as we've started to look more solid and as a result we've started to pick up more points. After all it wasn't that long ago we were staring down the barrel of a relegation fight.

The midfield is where the problem is IMO. Hutchinson should be the first choice defensive midfielder but there will always be a question mark over how many games he will play. I think Bannan tries to do too much and as a result contributes less. Reach just huffs and puffs most of the time. Boyd is solid and dependable but he's not the type of player that will grab a game by the scruff of the neck. What this midfield will give you is solid but predictable play.

The trick is to mix it up to give us more penetration and creativity without losing the new found solidity which has helped us stem the flow of goals and defeats. I suspect we won't see much change between now and the end of the season but somewhere along the line, I'd like to see Aarons or Forrestieri fitted into the midfield.

Long term I think Bruce will have to shuffle the pack which may mean offloading Bannan or Reach or even both? I just feel that in order to get us moving in a positive direction again, he needs to change things around in the midfield perhaps before anywhere else in the team?

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Some right over reactions tonight.  Yeah we weren’t at our best attacking wise but our fans think we have a god given right to steamroller teams like Millwall away.  

Millwall were very organised at the back and in midfield and they will stop better teams than us playing.  

Some average age performances but it wasn’t as horrific as people are trying to make out. 

If you didnt think we were awful god help us if we play worse. We defended well thats it. Nobody would want to watch football if they watched that every week , cant be dressed up we are truely awful as an attacking team. Is it 4 goals in 9 games? Are we trying to stink the place out. 

9 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Calm down fannies 

Do you really expect Bruce to turn this round in 3 games ?

even though we are still unbeaten?

some decent performances tonight mainly in defence but no easy games in this division 

Eh? Some of our opponents have had plenty!!

lol

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Some right over reactions tonight.  Yeah we weren’t at our best attacking wise but our fans think we have a god given right to steamroller teams like Millwall away.  

Millwall were very organised at the back and in midfield and they will stop better teams than us playing.  

Some average age performances but it wasn’t as horrific as people are trying to make out. 

Don't think people expected us to steamroll them, however we should be showing much more than we did tonight.

I agree Millwall looked well organised at the back, but when all we do us put it on the head of their big centre half everytime we get near their box, then it's not hard to be well organised. What's wrong with changing our approach when it's not working, get creative FFS.

Really need to buck our ideas up.

3 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

But we can’t change it up, we have zero creativity in the squad, we have no wingers to play out wide, no creativity in midfield. 

We cant sort that out now because a/ we have fizz all Money and b/ we don’t have players at this moment to do that. 

I thought second half we actually looked ok, yeah it wasn’t the best performance but it was ok i. The second half. 

By change it up I meant in regards to our approach on the pitch, rather than lumping it in to their CB all night, try something different.

And what's wrong with putting Aaron's on at half time instead of Boyd, you know, a bit of pace, maybe Lazaar as well in the same flank, can't be any worse than those two, at least it would be a different approach.

Guest The Horse

It's gonna take a season or so to sort out but we are so slow in possession / finding the next pass.

As someone said above - it's evident on throw ins with next to no movement.

And then, more often than not we'll have one player trying to take on three of the opposition instead of laying off a simple pass.

I reckon playing a certain way for the last three years or so is so ingrained into them, it's gonna take serious surgery to unstitch that mentality.

Apart from those few games under Bullen where we looked like a different team.

Weird.