How many Wednesday fans are there in the world ?

11 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

I see no reason why Owls Americas could not, and should not, contribute, don't really care if anybody categorizes me as a "true fan."  I've followed Wednesday since 1970, so I have been there, from 1970 (age 12) to 1974 (age 16), got to say, the stadium and pitch look a whole lot better today, at least in the pictures...and Wednesday does too.  Brian Joicey was "the Man" back then

shows just how big SWFC is, and here's an example of just how big SWFC is, at least in Florida.  December 28, 2018, burst incarcerated hernia, I'm in the Trauma Center at the local hospital, it's 3:00 AM on a CAT-Scan table, the Tech says to me, verbatim, "Sir, is that a Sheffield Wednesday insignia?"  What's the chances of that?  I've since bought him some shirts and an iFollow Season Pass.  Point?  SWFC needs to know just how much overseas support is out there, ready, willing, and able to spend some money...should Wednesday need it.

What a fantastic Post Nick!!!

Hope your health is good 

UTO.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2019 at 09:29, andytrig said:

I know that this has descended into the normal Owlstalk sarcasm fest, but the OP raises a good point. 

We are currently struggling with FFP and need to create more revenue. If we could tap into the 'not proper fans who can't be bothered to get to the home games' market, this surely has to be the way forward?

Using the 375,000 as an estimate, of which I'm sure there are more worldwide, if the club could generate 50p profit from each of them a week, this would equate to £9.75m profit per annum. Personally I'm in favour of some sort of online club draw, with cash and merchandise as prizes.

I can see it now on TV... "this is Barry Bannan...cold..and alone... he often finds himself having to pass backwards, as no one else will make a run... for just £2 a month you could help someone like Barry.."

• Haha 3

On 11/02/2019 at 20:35, Rogers said:

Having a club membership beneficial for all might help in getting to the answer. 

Like the Young Owls club 

Separate subject in a sense though there is a lot of mileage in this in my opinion. 

Set it cheap to draw in kids/ parents to capture the kids as Wednesday fans. But offer a very good package to win the kids hearts (and parents wallets). 

£20 per child

- Package comes with sticker book (the type of one any parent with young kids knows of).

- SWFC balloons 

- SWFC stationery 

- Entry into draw to be a mascot. With a winner from the membership club for every home game. 

- Birthday card delivered prior to child's birthday signed by a first team player. 

Christmas party (have a couple for different age groups)

Disco,  pictures with mascots, player appearances.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 16:15, sternlad said:

Hi andytrig, hoping you were pulling our leg with the Katrien question. Cornwall is great, but you have to drive for at least an hour to get anywhere near the motorway network! One day...

The Katrien comment was meant tongue firmly in cheek.

I am making the trip up for the Villa game with three mates but it's 75 minutes to the M5 at Exeter and then another 270 miles from there. Hopefully have a good weekend though.

Things could be a lot worse....

Like all those Arsenal "fans" that call radio stations like Talk Scroat, use the collective pronoun "we" and have never seen the Gooners play except for the MoTD highlights show on telly.

And next week, if results go the wrong way, they will all become overnight Man Ure "supporters" anyway.:ghoulguy:

On 13/02/2019 at 18:19, ReginaldD said:

Separate subject in a sense though there is a lot of mileage in this in my opinion. 

Set it cheap to draw in kids/ parents to capture the kids as Wednesday fans. But offer a very good package to win the kids hearts (and parents wallets). 

£20 per child

- Package comes with sticker book (the type of one any parent with young kids knows of).

- SWFC balloons 

- SWFC stationery 

- Entry into draw to be a mascot. With a winner from the membership club for every home game. 

- Birthday card delivered prior to child's birthday signed by a first team player. 

Christmas party (have a couple for different age groups)

Disco,  pictures with mascots, player appearances.

Got, got, got, need, got, need....

On 12/02/2019 at 11:30, gurujuan said:

Not scientific but, I’ve always thought we have been better represented outside of Sheffield, than our neighbours Having lived in Spain, Russia, and all around Britain, I’ve barely met more than a handful of their lot. 

We are much better supported than them outside of Sheffield, i've worked all over and not seen many of their lot.

I haven't read all this thread but I get the gist of @Neon Nick's posts - ie finding ways for fans who can't attend matches to make a financial contribution

Especially now, with P&S/FFP likely to bite our ass clean off sooner rather than later

Somehow I can't imagine Club 1867 providing the answer, even if it proves more popular than last year's attempt

Instead of targeting those (a couple of hundred?) who can afford to contribute a thousand pounds or thereabouts

How about coming up with a scheme aimed at persuading a couple of thousand fans to chip in £100?

Or better still, a couple of hundred thousand willing to chip in a tenner?

My suggestion would be to issue a range of SPECIAL badges, those metal ones with a pin like you find stuck to birthday cards

Only these are specific to raising revenue for the club, and regularly published sales figures would keep everyone informed

The design? Well that's easy ....

1.648815FC_Sheffield_Wednesday__80_s_log

... or

swfc_logo.png

No words, just the logo - varying sizes at varying prices - 3" to 5" at ten to twenty quid apiece

DC could probably find a place in Bangkok to knock 'em out for about 10p each and we'd be quids-in

He wouldn't like the design but the rest of us would wear it with pride

... just a thought  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I bet if the Blunts had a similar posting, they would be miles in front us for world wide support, have more fans in every big city and country, have as many stories about the fans. Real nonsense posting. But fun. :laugh:

Apparently Accrington also have a worldwide fan club with fans coming over from different  parts to watch some of their games. They had one on TV who had come over from South Korea. Daughters boyfriend, a Blunt ( how could she ) works round the UK and always says how many Blades he meets but never any Owls:angry: . Can remember when I worked in London used to meet up with our fans in The Marquis Cornwallis in Russell Square. wonder if that is still ongoing.

10 hours ago, shandypants said:

Got, got, got, need, got, need....

Yep if well planned all the stickers could be in each home games programme. Thus forcing a fair few extra programme sales on match day and after so people can get necessary stickers to fill their books.