How many Wednesday fans are there in the world ?

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

wonder how many we have on the clubs data base of people  who have actually bought a ticket ……I couldn't hazard a guess 

Interesting point.  Would it be "legal' for all Owls Americas members, to buy tickets, and give the tickets to a person whom can actually attend the matches? Near as I can tell, Hillsborough could benefit from about another 10-15,000 people in the stadium, and there are probably twice that number whom would go, not just because the tickets are free, but rather because they're SWFC fans, and just can't swing, or justify the ticket prices.

I'm serious and am going to bring this thought to the attention of Owls Americas.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

At one time in the 60's..We had a supporters club in Hong Kong, the only other supporters club there was Man U.

Only one I know now is... Worksop Owls :biggrin:

New York owls

Sydney Owls

Loads of em

Owls Americas!  

Well there's the odd one here and there.................

......................and the very odd one's everywhere else!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Neon Nick said:

Interesting point.  Would it be "legal' for all Owls Americas members, to buy tickets, and give the tickets to a person whom can actually attend the matches? Near as I can tell, Hillsborough could benefit from about another 10-15,000 people in the stadium, and there are probably twice that number whom would go, not just because the tickets are free, but rather because they're SWFC fans, and just can't swing, or justify the ticket prices.

I'm serious and am going to bring this thought to the attention of Owls Americas.  

Wednesdayite have or had their Smile ticket initiative so I assume there's a way to do this. Anyone can pay for a ticket I guess and as long as the ticket is in someone's hands at the turnstile I can't see why they'd not let em in. I pay for my lads ticket and he gets in. I bought my mate one the other week and he got in. There's no way to tell that the ticket holder didn't pay for it. 

As for the earlier comments about fans and supporters, there were 23000 or so supporters in the ground Saturday, supporting the club by paying money in. Anyone who puts money in is a supporter and a fan. Those that don't put money in but follow our results etc are fans only. Would that be a suitable definition? 

• Like 1

I know that this has descended into the normal Owlstalk sarcasm fest, but the OP raises a good point. 

We are currently struggling with FFP and need to create more revenue. If we could tap into the 'not proper fans who can't be bothered to get to the home games' market, this surely has to be the way forward?

Using the 375,000 as an estimate, of which I'm sure there are more worldwide, if the club could generate 50p profit from each of them a week, this would equate to £9.75m profit per annum. Personally I'm in favour of some sort of online club draw, with cash and merchandise as prizes.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, andytrig said:

I know that this has descended into the normal Owlstalk sarcasm fest, but the OP raises a good point. 

We are currently struggling with FFP and need to create more revenue. If we could tap into the 'not proper fans who can't be bothered to get to the home games' market, this surely has to be the way forward?

Using the 375,000 as an estimate, of which I'm sure there are more worldwide, if the club could generate 50p profit from each of them a week, this would equate to £9.75m profit per annum. Personally I'm in favour of some sort of online club draw, with cash and merchandise as prizes.

Totally agree with this, the club are missing a trick here. I used to be a foundation member and won a few times in the draw but tickets for games were no use to me living so far “darn Sarf “ so I gave up paying the subs in the end. I would readily cough up for some kind of draw ticket, and if it was a worldwide thing with 100,000+ people contributing it could be a real money spinner.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Totally agree with this, the club are missing a trick here. I used to be a foundation member and won a few times in the draw but tickets for games were no use to me living so far “darn Sarf “ so I gave up paying the subs in the end. I would readily cough up for some kind of draw ticket, and if it was a worldwide thing with 100,000+ people contributing it could be a real money spinner.

Me to, I'm down in Cornwall and it's way to long a trip to make on a regular basis, but would also happily sign for a club lottery.

I'm 'working from home' today so will e-mail the club and get the ball rolling. Is Katrien still the best person to contact?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, steveger said:

I'd say not much more than 80-90,000...

We don't get many young-uns following us these days as we used to when we was actually quite good and quite big not just a medium sized regional club as we are now.

We don't have that appeal anymore to new potential fans..

I think our young support is quite good to be honest - the amount that follow us away is excellent.

I think you are about right on the initial figure  - unless we get to a final then we seem to have billions!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, torres said:

I think our young support is quite good to be honest - the amount that follow us away is excellent.

I think you are about right on the initial figure  - unless we get to a final then we seem to have billions!!!

I’ve always wondered why our away support is disproportionate to our home support Even pre Chansiri prices, it hasn’t been great, but then I suppose, neither has the team, though the away support held up through that period

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve always wondered why our away support is disproportionate to our home support Even pre Chansiri prices, it hasn’t been great, but then I suppose, neither has the team, though the away support held up through that period

We have got one of the strongest core of away supporters in the country  - we would sell out most away games whatever we are doing in the league.

We have a good 15 -18k that would watch us at home whatever 

We have another 5-6k that need the slightest nudge of improvement and they'd be there 

Then we have 15k that only turn up when its fashionable