Extended highlights

Just watched the extended highlights and wanted to share some thoughts. I appreciate that 11 mins isn’t going to reveal all, but it should indicate the direction of the game.

1. Thought we looked energetic and together as a team.

2. We looked by far the better team and on another day, could have won comfortably.

3. The chances were created, but the finishing wasn’t quite good enough.

4. Boyd - can’t recall seeing him or hearing his name mentioned on the highlights (was he actually playing?).

5. Hutch’s chance wasn’t a sitter, I don’t see what more he could have done.

6. FF needs a goal, but he’ll get better.

7. Reach - the lad gives his all and for those who knock him, be careful what you wish for because he’s a big asset for our club.

8. Bannan - same as Reach for me.

9. Fletcher - looks fit and motivated. The loanee left winger should have slotted him instead of going it alone.  Good sign that Fletch is making the right runs.

All in all, frustrating that we didn’t score but I saw a team who are working for each other and definitely creating chances. Defensively we looked solid and great to see midfielders tracking back and putting their bodies on the line.  Bearing in mind most new managers inherent teams in disarray, I’d be quite feeling quite positive about this team if I were Bruce.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Easy to see the progress being made. That team is crying out for Hooper. 

Yep we did everything right in that game but just didn’t have the composure of a Hooper or Lee to take a chance. Often FF would help out but he still seems bit rusty.

I don’t think we can ask much more of Bruce so far which is a good thing 

Joao must have worked hard, his composure when finishing has improved dramatically since a few years ago

8 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

I think Joao merits a start with Fletcher. It's pot luck whether he fancies it but he doesn't miss too many chances.

He sometimes gets a chance to start, still waiting for the time when he takes it, if he can, and maintain some consistency he can keep his place in the starting line up - trouble is, fletcher for instance adds a lot in all round play so hard to say right you play all game Joao

Edited by jomaco

We lack a goal threat and have done for a while now. 

When we do create chances we usually miss them. 

Bizarrely, we are more likely to smash one in from 20 yards than we are from 5. 

Haven't won a game all season (in the league) by more than one. 

Not exactly a recipe for success. 

26 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It is though isn't it ?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, SiJ said:

1-0 to the Arsenal was very successful for George Graham.

FF needs to get velocity behind his shots, everyone he had was a pea roller

Hutch and Reach both should have scored, Fletch should have done better with his opportunities 

We played some neat stuff at times, but any top 10 championship side would have stuck 3 or 4 past Reading, they are terrible 

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Just watched the extended highlights and wanted to share some thoughts. I appreciate that 11 mins isn’t going to reveal all, but it should indicate the direction of the game.

1. Thought we looked energetic and together as a team.

2. We looked by far the better team and on another day, could have won comfortably.

3. The chances were created, but the finishing wasn’t quite good enough.

4. Boyd - can’t recall seeing him or hearing his name mentioned on the highlights (was he actually playing?).

5. Hutch’s chance wasn’t a sitter, I don’t see what more he could have done.

6. FF needs a goal, but he’ll get better.

7. Reach - the lad gives his all and for those who knock him, be careful what you wish for because he’s a big asset for our club.

8. Bannan - same as Reach for me.

9. Fletcher - looks fit and motivated. The loanee left winger should have slotted him instead of going it alone.  Good sign that Fletch is making the right runs.

All in all, frustrating that we didn’t score but I saw a team who are working for each other and definitely creating chances. Defensively we looked solid and great to see midfielders tracking back and putting their bodies on the line.  Bearing in mind most new managers inherent teams in disarray, I’d be quite feeling quite positive about this team if I were Bruce.

And I'd add that the contributions of both Fox and Palmer looked excellent

On the opening point, actually we were a bit off it and disjointed for quite a bit of the game, and certainly the third quarter was poor. I remember commenting that Bruce's first halftime talk in the home dressing room hadn't been a conspicuous success. There were missed chances, which happens: more importantly, from several positions of real promise we failed to create clear strong chances. Set pieces were really poor, and no doubt will have found themselves onto the to-do list.

Overall, I would say I was a little disappointed, against a side which really looks likely to be in deep trouble up to the end. But there were things to like, and certainly nothing to get too worked up about.

FF I thought had quite a poor game, but I agree he will get better, and he didn't hide. 

On Reach and Bannan, obviously correct on the general. Reach played well yesterday; Bannan not great.

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

1-0 to the Arsenal was very successful for George Graham.

30 years ago and the Arsenal back 5 are one of the greatest defences of all time. 

Don't think you could say the same about us...

3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Easy to see the progress being made. That team is crying out for Hooper. 

It really is, Lee too, we still have problems linking midfield to attack, we're showing endeavour, but lack that bit of nuance.

*sorry torres, but in my defence I did watch all the game*

Edited by Weshallovercome