Thinking Out Loud

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

By profession I am a nurse and have no business sense or experience of any kind.

Thinking out loud at ways to try and beat FFP and I have to be honest I don't understand a lot about it other than we are allowed to make a loss of 39m over 3 seasons.

If the problem is we are simply up to our limit and DC has/willing to invest more money then could he not go to his dad who is very very wealthy in his own right, give him say 50m of his own money and ask his dad to reinvest this in the club ie TUF have bought a 3rd of the club assuming the club is valued at 150m.

Also by give Chansiri snr the option to be the club sponsor and have naming rights to the ground, done through the back door by DC.

Woulds this help with FFP or am I talking out of my ring.

I'll put my tin hat on and wait for the response lol

TUF have shareholders who wont all be Wednesday fans 

Edited by keepitsteel89

52 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

TUF have shareholders who wont all be Wednesday fans 

Thai Union have thousands of shareholders that won't even have heard of Sheffield Wednesday or care anything about football for that matter. They have invested money in the group with the sole intention of getting a return on the investment. They would be less than amused if the board of Thai Union began investing in loss making ventures with no connection to the core disciplines of the company and no calculable worth as an asset.

9 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I'll take you up on that offer, however I'm more of a Speights ultra low carb drinker these day owing to my wife who thinks I have piled on weight and encouraged me on to the keto diet.

Tell her to stop being so shallow and to love you for who you are.

You drink what you like pal.

11 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Thai Union have thousands of shareholders that won't even have heard of Sheffield Wednesday or care anything about football for that matter. They have invested money in the group with the sole intention of getting a return on the investment. They would be less than amused if the board of Thai Union began investing in loss making ventures with no connection to the core disciplines of the company and no calculable worth as an asset.

so what I said then lol

Just now, keepitsteel89 said:

so what I said then lol

Yeah, I am just confirming what you have said. There are too many posters on Owlstalk who think that Thai Union is going to march along with a bag load of dough and splash it on Sheffield Wednesday. It is not going to happen. They are a business, not a benefactor. Anything they do as a corporate entity has to have a realisable benefit to the whole company and general shareholders.

14 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I wonder if, something was to happen with Thai Union Foods, it would have already happened. So maybe we can all write that off now?

Might be a mixture of feelings from Dejphon, as I read somewhere his fathers motto is "Once you start a business, you have to see it through" He might be trying to impress his father, while being in too deep with financial commitment.

10 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Just heard the Brum case is about to be settled....9pt deduction, no fine. (not confirmed btw)

Birmingham will no doubt make an appeal / legal challenge.

Just wonder how close we are to the Brum situation...£5M £10M ?

Would agree with that course of action by EFL.

A hefty points deduction would set a precedent that club owners like our Mr Chansiri would have to be aware of when splashing the cash.

After all, a hefty fine just adds to the losses that the regulations are there to prevent.

23 hours ago, mogbad said:

I'm not sure of Birminghams level of overspend but I think the EFL's issue with Birmingham is that they'd agreed a plan moving forward with the club which included allowing them to sign 3 or 4 players on free transfers to take them up to the minimum of 24. Birmingham did this but then went a paid a fee to sign a player over & above the number the EFL specified.

If they get a 9 point deduction it will be implemented this season but if they appeal & it drags on they might be starting next season on minus points.

Just had a look at brummie local paper, they seem to think 12 or even 15pt deduction is likely, and they reckon an estimated overspend of £7M...

Bloody ell that ain't much, I think we top that easily. Big slap on wrist for taking no notice I suppose.

Can see a court case looming, err we overspend £7M and get 9/12/15pt deduction...while Sheff Wed overspend £15 and get a soft embargo....your honour..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Just had a look at brummie local paper, they seem to think 12 or even 15pt deduction is likely, and they reckon an estimated overspend of £7M...

Bloody ell that ain't much, I think we top that easily. Big slap on wrist for taking no notice I suppose.

Can see a court case looming, err we overspend £7M and get 9/12/15pt deduction...while Sheff Wed overspend £15 and get a soft embargo....your honour..

Id  be well angrymad if we got Umbongo`d for overspending by £15. 

• Haha 1

The English Football League, and to my mind this includes the so-called Premier League, should emplace a salary-cap, that what can be spent on Players.  The NFL did this 30+ years ago.  Doesn't matter who you are, how big your stadium is, how many season tickets you sell, and on and on, ad infinitum.  You can spend only so much, doesn't matter whence the money, and it doesn't matter which team.

As I've said before, I love the structure of English Football, but the politics are insane, no other word for it.

11 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

I seem to remember when DC first confirmed the embargo at a forum last summer he said we had bust the FFP/P&S limit by 8 figures, so at least £10m & that if we didn't go up this season we would be looking at a 7 figure deficit, therefore less than £10m.

However we don't know how the finances have panned out this season & whether DC's 7 figure deficit estimation was dependant on player sales or just pie in the sky, just like him thinking promotion was a possibility.

I'll chime in with my derby day thoughts out loud .

United's midfield is going to boss us around the park. We won't be able to match their work rate, as they have a midfield which dominates games and is deserving of their league position. 

If we want to win this game, we have to accept it and formulate a plan to counter it.

We have to be brave. They struggle against pace. We can't play Boyd for this one. The easiest way to hurt United, is to get players beyond their fullbacks. We need players who will run, very direct. Pin them back.

Joao - Matias - Reach all behind Fletcher. Matias has shown good form pre bruce era. His willing running will limit United's passing options. Despite his injury prone time with us, you can tell by his physique, he's naturally fitter and more athletic than FF. 

I honestly think, if we don't be brave. We will be battered. Kill or be killed is the motto for this one.

If boyd starts, it is a complete waste of a substitution and a failing of next years planning.

Discuss.