Fox...... Cannot start again!

All players have strength and weaknesses but I thought today showed his weaknesses despite some good

form recently.  He is very lightweight physically and therefore has no punch in tackles, when he does make

them, which is not often.  Saying that he has put some cracking crosses in in the last few games, its a pity

our 'strike force' can't produce anything from them, frustrating indeed.

3 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

I suppose he knew what he was doing when he crossed the ball into his own box too then :ph34r:

Knew this was gonna come up. Not sure how fox got blame for that at all.

He passed the ball to Thorniley who for some reason just left it. 

Hector did it earlier in the half, passed the ball very similar to Palmer who had the presence of mind to not leave the ball.

Palmer & Fox have been singled out these last 2 seasons as being too poor for the championship 

For me, Palmer has shown levels of championship standard especially over the last 2 months, playing well in a number of games. Defensively capable, with attacking intent and athleticism.

Fox merely survives games in my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

The thing is,since Jos was sacked,Fox has proven to be a more than adequate squad player,good enough long term remains to be seen,but it winds me up no end,when fans revert to rippin him a new @ss again because..........................................well, just because his name is morgan fox.

I disagree that he has proven that. Fox is all we have had available in the position since before Jos left. This is not proof of his adequacy.

13 hours ago, BrainJoicey said:

Despite SB being happy with another clean sheet (as I am too) Fox has demonstrated today his many inadequencies. Distribution poor. Aggression non existent attacking potential nil. Each time I looked at SB when Fox was involved I could see him wince. I have every faith in SB as we move forward. Fox has to disappear quickly! 

Definitely didn't go yesterday.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Knew this was gonna come up. Not sure how fox got blame for that at all.

He passed the ball to Thorniley who for some reason just left it. 

Hector did it earlier in the half, passed the ball very similar to Palmer who had the presence of mind to not leave the ball.

Fully agree with this it appeared to me that Thorniley also left the ball or wasn't interested did he hear a shout from somewhere?

Both need replacing. But that doesn’t take away from the fact they’ve improved in recent weeks and contributed to a good number of clean sheets. They deserve praise for that, particularly considering fans are so quick to criticise them. They’ve both shown good character. Wasn’t long ago Fox was being booed when his name was read out by the announcer, how pathetic.

Promotion for me is a pipe dream for a good number of years. A lot of people will realise that in the summer when the embargo hits. Therefore we should look to give Palmer another extension and we may well have no other alternative to Fox. Therefore it’s important we get behind them and praise them for a good couple of months in the side. Rather than criticising them every time we don’t get the result we want.

22 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Both need replacing. But that doesn’t take away from the fact they’ve improved in recent weeks and contributed to a good number of clean sheets. They deserve praise for that, particularly considering fans are so quick to criticise them. They’ve both shown good character. Wasn’t long ago Fox was being booed when his name was read out by the announcer, how pathetic.

Promotion for me is a pipe dream for a good number of years. A lot of people will realise that in the summer when the embargo hits. Therefore we should look to give Palmer another extension and we may well have no other alternative to Fox. Therefore it’s important we get behind them and praise them for a good couple of months in the side. Rather than criticising them every time we don’t get the result we want.

Supposition and  fabrication m'lud. 

To those screaming for Fox to be replaced.

Just who are you going to replace him with?

Penney... recovering from injury

Pudil...Can no longer last 90 minutes even at centre back.

Thorniley...not his position.

Lazaar... maybe but nowhere near match fit and not rated by Newcastle fans

I’m certain Bruce can see our left side is weak but his options right now are limited and that back 4 are keeping clean sheets.

14 hours ago, BrainJoicey said:

Despite SB being happy with another clean sheet (as I am too) Fox has demonstrated today his many inadequencies. Distribution poor. Aggression non existent attacking potential nil. Each time I looked at SB when Fox was involved I could see him wince. I have every faith in SB as we move forward. Fox has to disappear quickly! 

Which match did you go to yesterday? It wasn't the same one saw, certainly. Thought Fox put in an extremely good shift, not only doing his own job, but covering forthree crap players in front of him - Boyd,  who had another stinker, the much feted Barry Bannan, who was either missing or played every ball back immediately as is his wont, and Fo5testieri, who wandered around like the proverbial lost Jew, wanting his own way all the time. Certainly the great FF was not on the pitch yesterday 

Hopefully Bruce is going to introduce change to the team as he eases his way in. If not then we are in trouble, and Fox is one that needs to go

Fox is lacking in too many aspects of a modern full back. We were crying out yesterday for some dynamism and a desire to get forward and attack . To effectively knock a poor Reading side out of the game.

So why criticise a full back for this? The way we set up meant we were lacking in centre midfield and needed the attacking impetus to come from out wide. Palmer and Reach did this a bit, especially first half. 

Boyd and Fox never did it. Fox is too slow in both mind and body, lacking in the character and confidence required to effect a game. 

He is somebody who will sit back and see what happens, let others take the responsibility . Not bad defensively as long as he doesn’t get exposed, when he panics.

We need rid of the shrinking violets, need character, bottle and pace in the team. 

This Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another player(s) between the full back and the wing Forward? Or do we only play with 10 men?.

During the first half, Palmer and Reach (playing in a R Wing position) interchanged extremely well. In the second half The distance between Fox and Boyd was tremendous. When R&P went forward, there was cover. When Fox and Boyd went forward, there was a gap.  .The difference - Hutch on the right, Bannan on the ... ?...

Incidentally, a player is not offside until he comes into play that is , makes an effort for the ball. The Lino does not raise his flag until the player makes an effort for the ball. This is why so many Linos , quite correctly, seem 'late ' flagging for offside.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

This Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there another player(s) between the full back and the wing Forward? Or do we only play with 10 men?.

During the first half, Palmer and Reach (playing in a R Wing position) interchanged extremely well. In the second half The distance between Fox and Boyd was tremendous. When R&P went forward, there was cover. When Fox and Boyd went forward, there was a gap.  .The difference - Hutch on the right, Bannan on the ... ?...

Incidentally, a player is not offside until he comes into play that is , makes an effort for the ball. The Lino does not raise his flag until the player makes an effort for the ball. This is why so many Linos , quite correctly, seem 'late ' flagging for offside.  

Exactly how I saw it.

Fox was exposed by the lack of support from Boyd, I personally thought he had an average game, not a mare.

Strange how we keep a clean sheet and the defence get a battering but the forwards couldn't hit a cows ar5e with a banjo but that's Owlstalk.

4 hours ago, BC1867 said:

I disagree that he has proven that. Fox is all we have had available in the position since before Jos left. This is not proof of his adequacy.

Its an opinion,thats all,you and others "don't rate " him regardless of what he does,its cool.

Edited by DELUDED OWL

18 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Tbh Fox isn't good enough for a promotion team, but he wasn't the problem today. Boyd in front of him was as dire as dire can be. Some of you seem to pick on the lad and yet cant see what a clean sheet means. The defence including Fox did their job today, the 'superstars' in midfield and upfront didn't.

Spot on.

2 hours ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Its an opinion,thats all,you and others "don't rate " him regardless of what he does,its cool.

No mate. It’s what he does that is the reason I don’t rate him. I’m happy he is doing ok at the moment but we need way way better and even he knows that tbf. 

I don't particularly rate Fox but he's obviously been performing better since the return of Westwood in goal as has the rest of the back four. Should he be a long term option for us? Probably not but the fact that he's still under contract beyond this season means he's got a chance of staying in the team given the likely recruitment constraints?