Barry Bannan

I’m sure that some on here will disagree but I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with Bannan. I thought that when we had Hutch back that Bannan would rediscover his form but sadly I don’t see it, all I see is a guy who is constantly facing his own goal, dropping way to deep, and offering very little threat or industry going forward. He is of zero threat when he does venture into the final third and his set piece attempts simply lack any quality.

In my eyes this guy is a player in decline sadly.

Said it before and I'll be saying it again soon. He simply is not as good as many on here think, for all the industry and trickery there is no end product, everything has to go through him and he hardly ever delivers. Better team without him, major changes coming soon I think. Mind you he's far better than Boyd.

Edited by peacock1961
comma

Becoming our scapegoat for whenever we don’t pick up 3 points. Some very clever passages of play again today that unfortunately came to nothing. There are so few players in the league that can do what BB can do. The lads a grafter too.

Disagree OP.

1 minute ago, peacock1961 said:

Said it before and I'll be saying it again soon. He simply is not as good as many on here think. For all the industry and trickery there is no end product. Everything has to go through him and he hardly ever delivers. Better team without him, major changes coming soon I think. Mind you he's far better than Boyd.

Nail on the head there, we are far too reliant upon one midfielder.

The problem that we've had, for years, is the central midfield not playing for enough forward and thereby supporting the attack more. Our latest version of this long time problems is that Hutchinson drops back into the centre half position, removing a player from our midfield, and Bannan often plays deep, picking the ball up from 2 yards away off of a defender to then try and ping a 40 yard pass to one of our attackers.

1 hour ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I’m sure that some on here will disagree but I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with Bannan. I thought that when we had Hutch back that Bannan would rediscover his form but sadly I don’t see it, all I see is a guy who is constantly facing his own goal, dropping way to deep, and offering very little threat or industry going forward. He is of zero threat when he does venture into the final third and his set piece attempts simply lack any quality.

Hammer, nail, head. Nowhere near influential playmaker we need him to be. However I'm certain that Bruce will get the best out of him and help him perform at level we all know he can.

1 hour ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Pick on someone you own size . 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

Forestieri was FAR worse, no threads on him yet

Both him and Bannan were like subbuteo players today .

Everytime a move was on they were facing the wrong way ..

Foresteri does have a bit of an excuse (coming back from injury)

But Bannan loses the ball and turns play the wrong way too many times..he really is running out of excuses for this, our defence is the best it's been for a couple of seasons right now but he still drifts way too deep ..

I'm going to send Hutch n Hector a pair of cattle prods to try out see if that makes him play forward .....lol

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

I thought he was great first half but not so good in the second. He’s not in decline imho, he’s just human - form dips at times even within a game. I agree that he’s playing too deep but I’m sure that Bruce will alter either Bannan or the shape of the side to improve this particular issue. 

Bannan s best season was when he played out on the left for us Wallace on right hutch and Lee in middle 

he try’s too hard to dictate in the middle and sometimes we over rely on him as a team 

not sure what the answer is 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Wouldn’t be against him playing on the left of Midfield again if Onamoh was fit. 

I know many on here hated him playing there, but never been capable for me in cm, not big, strong or Good enough defensively and Dosent get forward enough into the box to create and score goals. For me he gets more space out wide and will get more time to exploit better balls into the box and look for a running forward, it also means hes not getting in the way of our cbs doing there job.