• Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Boyd
    • Joao
    • Nuhiu
    • Aarons

18 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Much better.

Clearly instructed to press higher and let rip from distance.

Reach our danger all half. 

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Laughing it all these people specifically mentioning Reach’s first half performance...

We all read / heard that Bruce said that...no need to pretend you didn’t 

:picnic:

Bruce must have read my half-time post.

2 hours ago, Libertine said:

Westwood 6

Palmer 7 motm 

Hector 6

Thorniley 6

Fox 6

Reach 6

Bannan 5

Hutchinson 5

Boyd 3

Forestieri 3

Fletcher 6

MEH

That’s about right. Maybe increase all of the back 4 and Westwood by one point because we were defensive sound - there was one straight ball from Reading in the first half that went straight through our defence where Westwood had to bail us out; other than that, they were excellent. 

Just now, shandypants said:

That’s about right. Maybe increase all of the back 4 and Westwood by one point because we were defensive sound - there was one straight ball from Reading in the first half that went straight through our defence where Westwood had to bail us out; other than that, they were excellent. 

Yep brucie keeps praising them, its the goalscoring he needs to work on, we cant expect the defence to keep bailing us out and too many draws is no good at all.

Westwood - 7 - Made two smart stops from close range in an otherwise quiet game. His distribution wasn't great again...but to be fair, the wind was horrendous at times yesterday

Palmer - 7 - Man of the Match - I've been a long time critic of Palmer, but I thought he had a good game yesterday and was our best performer. Constantly made runs beyond Reach, both over and under-lapping and got into a number of dangerous positions. Great energy to put the chance of a plate for Reach late on.

Hector - 7 - Reading didn't offer much, and at times in the first half looked a little hurried, but second half he was dominant and began to look for more penetrating forward passes. 

Thorniley - 7 - Never lets you down. Does his job with little fuss. Competes for everything, and keeps things simple. He's our equivalent of Hutchinson in defence. 

Fox - 6 - Thought he defended well yesterday, up against a lightening quick (the quickest in the league I think) Moudou Barrow. But he needs more belief in his offensive play. He's got the ability to put dangerous balls in the box, but all too often slowed things down and looked for a sideways and easy pass. 

Hutchinson - 7 - Did his job in the middle well, and it should allow Bannan the freedom to dictate things. Unfortunate with the chance he had in the 1st half. 

Bannan - 5 - Particularly disappointing performance yesterday. With Hutchinson at the side of him, he's got to be the one who drives things forward and dictates the play. Saw a lot of the ball yesterday, but far too often slowed things down, went backwards or sideways too often or simply wasted possession. His delivery from set pieces was poor yesterday also. 

Reach - 6 - Such a frustrating performance. I understand why Bruce came out and said what he said about Reach's performance...he was down following his late miss. But he wasn't the stand out performer. He saw tonnes of the ball, and his composure in key areas was simply non-existent. Had a couple of efforts which were rushed and poorly executed, he showed a lack of vision and coolness when he had the opportunity to play, fairly simple, balls across the box, and his miss at the end came about from his major flaw...inability to use his right foot. It seems a harsh critique, but that's because he's better than that...but you cannot fault his work rate, and the fact he doesn't hide despite how things were going for him. 

Boyd - 5 - Runs a lot, works hard...but doesn't offer much going forward. Can see the appeal of him in tough games where we might be under the cosh, but against sides like Reading, surely there's a requirement for more unpredictability and flair. 

Forestieri - 5 - Another one of our key players who had a off day yesterday. Seemed to come far too deep (which is a constant issue when he plays off the front), and was obsessed with playing the ball back five yards. His lack of drive forward made us very easy to defend against. 

Fletcher - 6 - Thought he had a very good first half, and linked play well and caused Reading a lot of issues. Struggled in the second half, when Moore and Miazga seemed to deal with his threat much better. That said, if the delivery from key areas was better, we could easily be talking about a much different performance. 

Overall...hugely disappointing display against a side which were there for the taking...especially early doors. Our attacking play for long periods was too slow, too safe and too easy to defend against. And on the occasions we got beyond Reading's defence our composure and final ball was pretty poor. But, it was one of those days where are three creative outlets, Bannan, Reach and Forestieri, had days to forget, and when that happens, we'll always struggle to break teams down. Most teams would struggle when their three key men put in sub-standard performances. 

That said...another clean sheet, and we're looking like a side that are capable of controlling games. Something we weren't able to do in Carlos' last season and throughout Jos' regime. And also the realisation that were a long way off been a side capable for mounting a late playoff challenge won't necessarily be a bad thing.

Expect to see Aarons given an opportunity on Tuesday in place of Boyd, Joao will surely come in for Forestieri and maybe Lazaar at left back to give Fox a rest. 

There was plenty of encouragement today in the first half although the second was more of a struggle for me, which is disappointing as for once I felt we could carry on with momentum. 

Westwood 6. Nothing majorly bad or good. But I just think his presence helps our back line.

Palmer 8. One of his better home games. Yes the odd issue with the final ball but him and reach were outstanding in the first half. Thought Palmer was the only one who carried it on and with confidence the entire game. 

Hector & Thornley 6.5 both solid enough and I felt confident in their defensive work. Both struggled a bit with the ball overall. 

Fox. 6 thought he was fairly solid but too many times the attack stopped on the left. Him and boyd worked hard but generally offered little. But he's improved overall no end. Still need better to improve the squad. There were several times when bannan could've used the left and fox but turned back into traffic. It seems to only hamper our own efforts.

Reach. 6 5. Great in the first half. Easily a 9 for me. Dangerous and with an end product. Didn't turn up in the second 4. missed that last gasp chance. 

Hutch 6. So much more solid than joey. Thought he played some great balls in the first half, meaning bannan pushed on. But both him and bannan ended up too slow and deep in the second. 

Bannan 6. Got caught for their best chance. Had some glimpses but I thought he was more off his game than not today. 

Boyd 6. Worked hard all game, just didn't offer much attacking wise for me.  He helps us be solid but then we miss a real attacking threat (ala FF). Would prefer FF or Aaron's there at home. 

FF 5. Thought he was so off key in every aspect. Still don't think he's a forward or true no 10. Better from wide left or ideally left of a front 3 driving with the ball. 

Fletch 7. 8 in first half as main outlet held ball well. 5 in second. Didn't seem to win any headers and always played it back even when in space. Sort of summed summed our game up. 

Aaron's seemed lively but raw. Hope he gets some games. Joao is well Joao. Either unpredictable and produces some great balls & moments or like bambi. 

Dave still grates me. I don't think he offers enough. Didn't win a header or get involved enough. Would rather win all get a spot over him. 

Easily more to encourage then in Jos' era. As we all thought. Plenty to work on but they seemed more confident. I wanted Bruce to put on lazaar and Aaron's in the second half for fox and boyd to give them a good go. Then Joao for FF later on. 

Hopefully he'll have a good look at most of them and decide which 10/15 he wants to keep/retain and then have a chance to bring in 8/10 of his own players. Still think one of bannan, reach or FF will need to go for him to accomplish that mind.  Interesting times ahead. 

18 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Westwood 7

Palmer 7

Hector 7

Thorniley 7

Fox 5

Hutchinson 7

Bannan 6

Boyd 4

Reach 6

Forestieri 5

Fletcher 6

Aarons 5

Joao 6

Nuhiu 5

Westy was excellent, so much better than Dawson. Palmer played well in my opinion. Excellent control to create the last minute chance too. Thorniley and  Hector were solid. Hutch did well.

Negatives: Fox was back to his usual self. The least mobile full back in the division. Boyd works hard but is poo . Nando sadly is nowhere near the player of two years ago. Struggles to even control the ball and pass forward nowadays. Aaron’s isn’t good enough. He’s a show pony. weeing around with his stepovers when a simple ball would have put Fletch through 1 on 1 with their keeper.  Reach’s generally shooting ability is crap. Sadly we are a mid table side at best.  Very sad to watch.

One of Westwood’s saves was from his own balls up / miscommunication with his defenders.....if Dawson had made that save you’d have been all over how Westwood wouldn’t have let it get to that stage due to his commanding of his defence 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, Ian said:

One of Westwood’s saves was from his own balls up / miscommunication with his defenders.....if Dawson had made that save you’d have been all over how Westwood wouldn’t have let it get to that stage due to his commanding of his defence 

No I wouldn’t. But we’d have lost that game with Dawson in the net.

We looked more solid then the JL days,Thought Hector was solid,and Palmer had yet another strong game,Fox did well with little back up.Boyd just hung him out to dry.

We were toothless further foreward,I thought wed batter a sorry reading side,but the actually came back into it 2nd half and could have taken 3 points,and were far more inventive then us.

Poor game from two drab uninspiring sides.

Reckon Palmers shown with regular games hes more then capable

Edited by legendaryswan

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Ian said:

It takes a special kind of individual to criticise  a player in a game that he didn’t take any part in 

To be fair you may have a point. However,  I’m intrigued as to what mistake Westwood is supposed to have made before he pulled off one of three outstanding saves yesterday. The bell over the top which Westwood came out for and the lad went round him was in no way shape or form Westwood’s fault. Why you even brought Dawson into the conversation is beyond me but I’ll stand by what I said in December, Westwood is a far better goalie than Dawson. In fact, I’m not totally convinced that Cameron is even better than Wildsmith.

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

Guest addedtime
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:34, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Hector again for me

Miles better than anyone else on the pitch

I loved the amount of Hollywood passes that skidded out of play for a goal kick or throw in.

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Why you even brought Dawson into the conversation is beyond me

Is that question aimed at me?......or the person who actually brought Dawson in to the conversation......aka you!....last post on page 2 which was before I posted anything never mind about the keepers!!!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Ian said:

Is that question aimed at me?......or the person who actually brought Dawson in to the conversation......aka you!....last post on page 2 which was before I posted anything never mind about the keepers!!!

My bad! Don’t actually remember posting that. However, it wasn’t meant to be a major jab aimed at Dawson, just more of a throwaway comment which is true as far as I’m concerned. I wondered why you were having a go at me!  :Chansiri: