Nuhiu picked above Winnall

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Not read this thread, usually avoid the Nuhiu ones. But I’m assuming a fit and sharp Winnall will be on the bench ahead of Nuhiu. 

I think the pertinent part of your comment is my bold.

I know he's had an age to recover, but he's a full blown energy and confidence player.

Neither will be anywhere near 100%

what you've got to think is ,nuhiu has been at the club for 6 years now ,has he got better since he arrived ?

you can blame managers tactics all you like but can anyone seriously say he has got better?

for a man his size I've never seen a player be so pathetic when it comes to winning headers

him getting a new contract last summer sums this club up how cr@p it has been ran the last 18 months

On 09/02/2019 at 18:58, Ash76 said:

How does anyone jump when they're being held down?

I'd have brought him on 5 minutes earlier to be honest

He gets held down becouse his timing and movement are too often, not good enough at this level. If you watch fletcher you'll notice the difference, hes moving towards the ball and attacks it timing his leap well, Nuhiu moves into position too early then stands and waits for it before jumping making it easy for defenders to shut the door on him as he's grounded. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

16 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

him getting a new contract last summer sums this club up how cr@p it has been ran the last 18 months

Yeah, let me get my head around this one.

Nuhiu finishes last last by scoring more goals in the last six weeks or so than a striker had done all season that just happened to be the club's record signing and on about two or three times more than Nuhiu in terms of salary. Nuhiu gets the first and I think only hattrick since Mellor got one about five or six seasons previously. Nuhiu in the form he finished last season would be a nailed on selection and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Any manager (and I mean any manager) would want to retain the services of such a player in those circumstances. What has happened since is hindsight. The decision to offer him a new contract was based on the circumstances that had occurred at that time. It would have been the mother of all cr@p decisions NOT to have offered him a new contract. In fact most of the fanbase at that time would have asked what the feck is happening at the club if he hadn't been offered a new contract.

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yeah, let me get my head around this one.

Nuhiu finishes last last by scoring more goals in the last six weeks or so than a striker had done all season that just happened to be the club's record signing and on about two or three times more than Nuhiu in terms of salary. Nuhiu gets the first and I think only hattrick since Mellor got one about five or six seasons previously. Nuhiu in the form he finished last season would be a nailed on selection and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Any manager (and I mean any manager) would want to retain the services of such a player in those circumstances. What has happened since is hindsight. The decision to offer him a new contract was based on the circumstances that had occurred at that time. It would have been the mother of all cr@p decisions NOT to have offered him a new contract. In fact most of the fanbase at that time would have asked what the feck is happening at the club if he hadn't been offered a new contract.

Spot on. 

I would also add that you would have expected Jos to have given Nuhiu and Joao a prolonged run together at the start of the season as this was the effective goal scoring partnership at the end of last season.  Ok, Nuhiu got a one match ban but he only got a couple of games on his return before being relegated to the bench. Surely if you have proof that a partnership works, you give it a good go before dispensing with it?

12 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

2 moments from the crowd yesterday ..

3rd time the ball was played up to him you heard a collective shout of “jump” - bloody funny - like we needed to tell him to.

Then Joao made a great run into space when Palmer was in possession and the collective shout of “Joao” was heard.

Tickled me both moments 

12 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

They're both garbage.

Nah, I'm with Owly Mowly. Both were mildly amusing.

It doesn't matter who our forwards are, until we get pace and width they will struggle for goals. All our forwards are better attacking a ball from out wide, for Winnall and Rhodes it's their main source of goal attempts.

I don't believe Arrons is the long term answer*, but given a game or two, he could transform our performances and more goals will come from our forwards. 

*My concern is that Arrons might be a "head down, race to goal and shoot" type pace-merchant, whereas what we need is for him to race down the wing, pull a centre back out, look up and pick a cross for Joao, Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnall or even Nuhiu to attack the space.

nuhiu is an ideal player to have on the bench when your either chasing the game or hanging on to a lead …...defensively he excellent when the balls pumped into our area from free kicks ,corners …..if we are chasing then lobbing it into  the oppo's box he causes them problems just by his sheer size ……...we all know what he can and cannot do as do the 5 managers who have consistently included him in the matchday 18 . 

Edited by torryowl

Guest Kagoshimaowl

A few weeks ago I’d have been annoyed by this thread as Winnall is crap in the loan striker role when we are playing 4-3-3 so it’s obvious why Nuhiu was picked. However, the OP’s question is now fair as we are essentially playing two up top. Joao can play the Fletcher role so maybe Winnall should be on the bench instead of Atdhe?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

what you've got to think is ,nuhiu has been at the club for 6 years now ,has he got better since he arrived ?

you can blame managers tactics all you like but can anyone seriously say he has got better?

for a man his size I've never seen a player be so pathetic when it comes to winning headers

So you wouldn’t have given a new contact to a player who scored about 12 goals in 15 games and had a huge hand in keeping us in the division? Glad you aren’t our manager.

10 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

So you wouldn’t have given a new contact to a player who scored about 12 goals in 15 games and had a huge hand in keeping us in the division? Glad you aren’t our manager.

No from me. For the very reason you have highlighted - he did it for 15 games when NEEDING a new contract. What about the other games in his time at Hillsborough.

I would love someone to explain to me one day what Winnall has done in a Wednesday shirt to make him our saviour ?

the couple of sub appearances he's made this season he was pants now he's coming back from a very serious injury so that may be understandable but even before he was never better than average 

4 minutes ago, squonk said:

I would love someone to explain to me one day what Winnall has done in a Wednesday shirt to make him our saviour ?

the couple of sub appearances he's made this season he was pants now he's coming back from a very serious injury so that may be understandable but even before he was never better than average 

Ahh well that on simple to answer Michael!

The big book of football fan cliché 

Section 1. Part b

B. Any player not in the match day squad is instantly 4x better than they are in reality. (This is extended to x10 after a draw or defeat)

Example 1.

George Boyd when he wasn't playing.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Ahh well that on simple to answer Michael!

The big book of football fan cliché 

Section 1. Part b

B. Any player not in the match day squad is instantly 4x better than they are in reality. (This is extended to x10 after a draw or defeat)

Example 1.

George Boyd when he wasn't playing.

The big book of football fan cliche

Section 1. Part C 

C. Once said player is back in the team then he is instantly 4x worse than we all thought he was. (This is extended to x10 after a draw or defeat)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, squonk said:

upto winnall getting injured at derby he was in the top 5 scorers in the football league over the past 3 years same with Rhodes , even the man city strikers would struggle to get 15 a season the way we play and have no players regularly getting down the wing and sending decent balls in, that's something we are woeful at 

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

upto winnall getting injured at derby he was in the top 5 scorers in the football league over the past 3 years same with Rhodes , even the man city strikers would struggle to get 15 a season the way we play and have no players regularly getting down the wing and sending decent balls in, that's something we are woeful at 

To be fair I remember many Jordan Rhodes 50p headers going nowhere near the goal.

Bruce ain't daft. He thinks Winnall could get us the goals we need he will be in.

21 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair I remember many Jordan Rhodes 50p headers going nowhere near the goal.

Bruce ain't daft. He thinks Winnall could get us the goals we need he will be in.

you wont get me arguing regards Rhodes huge waste of money and I said it before we got him ,his days are numbered .I was at Bolton when he missed  a couple of sitters ive not seen our away support as angry as they were that day. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

Even if that were true that Rhodes and Winnall used to score goals, sometimes that isn’t enough You use Manchester City as an example, but that very issue was addressed by Pep. Aguero has always scored goals, but according to Pep, he didn’t do enough of the other stuff, stuff that was crucial for the good of the team. Aguero knuckled down, adjusted his game, and is now a vital part of City’s success. There is no sign that, either Rhodes or Winnall can adjust their game, and as a consequence, their only hope is a place on the bench

On 10/02/2019 at 08:35, TINKERBELL said:

Coco and dross ruined them, thank fk they nowhere near our club now

Winnall had a fight with another player, who a lot think is our best player, got sent out on loan to calm down the issue and then knackered his knee ligaments and has been out for months. 

Rhodes wasn’t wanted by our manager at the time, IMO, turned up and played like he had 2 sand bags strapped to his legs. 

Not sure how either managers contributed to their poor form to be honest. They were either injured, crap to start with, or had an attitude. 

• Thanks 1