Thorniley

6 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Agree but going forward he offers nothing in this day and age we need better.

He has to do his job first and foremost, he does that to a good standard then passes the ball quickly and concisely to those that have more attacking responsibilities 

There are some very good players past and present that do exactly the same 

1 minute ago, torres said:

He has to do his job first and foremost, he does that to a good standard then passes the ball quickly and concisely to those that have more attacking responsibilities 

There are some very good players past and present that do exactly the same 

Like I said agee he's good as a defender but as a top class player, you need to offer more. Up to now, he hasn't shown that hope he proves wrong.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I totally understand why people say that. 

My point is that it only explains the performance, not defines the quality of it.

So you agree with my explanation which you mistook for a disagreement to your original point?

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Like I said agee he's good as a defender but as a top class player, you need to offer more. Up to now, he hasn't shown that hope he proves wrong.

What more does he need to offer as an up and coming centre back?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

I’m not sure what more you expect?

Dribble round their midfield and put a through ball into Fletcher?

He does exactly what I’d want from my centre back, he keeps the ball moving and rarely, very rarely gives it away.

For every good ball Hector does, he puts 2 in the stand. 

Lees takes an age to finally decide to give it to Bannan with 6 men around him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mycroft said:

To be more positive once he has the ball, he has the ability to find more, better than just whacking it and hoping for the best.  He should be encouraged to go forward as Hector does.

I’ve yet to see him just whack it unnecessarily 

1 minute ago, torres said:

I’m not sure what more you expect?

Dribble round their midfield and put a through ball into Fletcher?

He does exactly what I’d want from my centre back, he keeps the ball moving and rarely, very rarely gives it away.

For every good ball Hector does, he puts 2 in the stand. 

Lees takes an age to finally decide to give it to Bannan with 6 men around him. 

If you're happy with an average player than fair enough but I think he should have more belief in himself and dribble around their midfield. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

To be more positive once he has the ball, he has the ability to find more, better than just whacking it and hoping for the best.  He should be encouraged to go forward as Hector does.

Hopefully that will come with a bit of confidence and experience.

However if we're looking at the top of the Champ and the bottom half of the prem there's very few ball playing positive centre backs to be honest, and plenty of absolute hackers. Although what you've described is incredibly desirable. It does make you wonder how Hector would fare in the prem, there must be a reason why Chelsea bought him. 

JT... I'll change that to Thorniley should look at someone like Harry Maguire as inspiration to be honest, Maguire is basically a breeze block on legs with limited passing ability but it doesn't stop him marauding forward once in a while.

15 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Thanks for agreeing you mistook my explanation.

Best of luck in future, hopefully more successful ventures. 

No.

Thank you for taking the time to explain my own post to me. As the poster, I was clearly the one who needed it explaining...not the ones who think Thorniley is the second coming of Baresi.

Very gracious.

Really not sure what people on here are expecting from Jordan ?! Proved himself as highly reliable central defender and in my opinion our mostly improved player from last season. One we need here for the long haul.

Have we learned nothing from the Van Aken debacle.

Why are we judging young centre backs on their creative qualities.

The first game I saw Thornily play was the home match against Cardiff last season. Probably his debut, Loovens suspended for being sent off at the sty .

I feared the worst, young kid at centre back, Colin pushed Zohore onto him all game.

Thornily had a great game , wasn’t bullied, and we kept a clean sheet.

He has some rough edges but I love the fact he goes out with the intention of bullying his opponent, of winning his personal battle against the striker. We have very few who actually do this.

Slightly small for a centre back but physically and mentally very strong.

I think he will do well under Bruce.