Thorniley

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Thorniley has probably been the steadiest of all the youngsters brough through..Penney started well then got a bit hit and miss..As did Baker....and a couple of others...

When Thornily has been dropped , its not because he did owt wrong..He's been very steady

Agreed. I’d even argue he’s been dropped a little unfairly at times.

He’ll have a decent career but I can’t help but feel he’ll end up as a League One stopper...which is hopefully not where we’re going

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Folk would have been complaining about Lees if he’d turned in that performance 

I think it's pretty fair to have slightly different expectations for a defender who has made 290 Championship appearances vs a young up and coming defender. 

Just now, Owls2k said:

I think it's pretty fair to have slightly different expectations for a defender who has made 290 Championship appearances vs a young up and coming defender. 

But that doesn’t change the quality of the performance.

It gives reason for the quality of performance.

Big difference.

9 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Thorniley has probably been the steadiest of all the youngsters brough through..Penney started well then got a bit hit and miss..As did Baker....and a couple of others...

When Thornily has been dropped , its not because he did owt wrong..He's been very steady

He is the only youngster we’ve seen over the last 2 years that’s put in consistent performances for the majority of his playing time. 

Looks to have the right attributes both physically and mentally to add to his footballing ability 

6 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

But that doesn’t change the quality of the performance.

It gives reason for the quality of performance.

Big difference.

Nothing changes the quality of a performance, it does however give the reason for the perception of the quality of performance. 

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Nothing changes the quality of a performance, it does however give the reason for the perception of the quality of performance. 

Thats basically what I said in the original post you disagreed with 

People perceive the performance as better than it actually was because it was Thorniley not Lees

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, torres said:

He is the only youngster we’ve seen over the last 2 years that’s put in consistent performances for the majority of his playing time. 

Looks to have the right attributes both physically and mentally to add to his footballing ability 

I agree, it is his character that stands out to me, seems like a future leader of a team (if it is here or elsewhere).

I was going to say that he's hardly a ball-playing centre back that's often craved at this level and the level above these days, however if you look at the centre backs in the bottom half of the prem they're hardly Messi on the ball either. I think we've got a good, solid player with potential to be very good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Thats basically what I said in the original post you disagreed with 

People perceive the performance as better than it actually was because it was Thorniley not Lees

You said if Lees had've turned in that performance people would have complained. 

I said that's understandable given their difference in experience.

That isn't disagreeing, that's offering much-needed perspective on the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Agree but going forward he offers nothing in this day and age we need better.

Yep.

If we are just attempting shutouts then I don’t have any concerns about him. He’s decent at that.

But that’s the absolute bare minimum for this level, and it suits us at the moment. Over time you need much more to your game to succeed at this level.

13 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

1 or 2 are over critical of Jordan Thorniley. He’s already a championship ready player and he will get better. I have absolutely no problem with him starting games in centre defence. 

Agreed, he is a great understudy at the moment who I'm always happy to see start.

Edited by Owls2k

16 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

You said if Lees had've turned in that performance people would have complained. 

I said that's understandable given their difference in experience.

That isn't disagreeing, that's offering much-needed perspective on the situation. 

I totally understand why people say that. 

My point is that it only explains the performance, not defines the quality of it.

And if that was Lees, they’d say it was an average performance. Which it was.

Edited by McRightSide

Not that long ago we had the worst defence in the league. We kept only 2 clean sheets in the first 22 games. In the 7 games since we've kept 5 clean sheets. Yes there's always room for improvement but we've made a steady base from which to build. As for Thorniley as an individual, he's a solid no nonsense player. We've been crying out for a stopper for a few years, perhaps we've finally got one?