Wednesday Players We Thought Were Going To Be World Beaters.

My first team I could name was pretty special ….

Ron Springett

Peter Johnson

Don Megson

Tommy McAnearney

Peter Swan

Tony Kay

Alan Finney

Bobby Craig

Ruth Ellis  

Johnny Fantham

Colin Dobson

Dave McLarren                              Keeper

Brian Hill                                        right back 

Jim McAnearney                           half back/inside forward

Ralph Macdonald                          centre half

Derek Wilkinson                           Right wing

Johnny Quinn  &  Gerry Young    National servants both would go on to play cameo centre forward roles and later half back. Quinn finished as a utility/left wing.

Biggest sale was Albert Quixall boy genius won the cup for Man U but Dennis Law was given MOM. our biggest acquisition was Eddie Holiday a recent England cap winner, total flop ! The dozen years 58 to 69 were good to us but those days soon came to an end.                           

On 09/02/2019 at 09:16, Lord Snooty said:

I have zero doubt either that Ian Knight would have been a top end performer and regular International until the twať Bennett ruined his career. 

Destined for the very top of the game. 

2019-02-09 09.19.11.jpg

I can still hear the crack now of his leg being snapped.

2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

I was there, he actually got a brace, we still lost the match 3-2 and he only scored one more goal in his remaining 41 matches for us.

He did indeed. 

Another Dutchman with much initial promise.

Maybe the Ian Wright dreadlock yank curtailed his development?

1 hour ago, Ursa Minor said:

Dean Barrick, scored in a 5-1 defeat at Anfield in 1989, people were raving. Now a PE teacher in Thailand. See this link http://totalfootballmag.com/features/features/where-are-they-now-dean-barrick/

That 'best goal he's ever scored' for Donny must have been quite something because the goal he scored at Anfield was back from the River Mersey right into the roof of the net!

On 10/02/2019 at 21:10, g-owls said:

Sheridan aside, you'd struggle to find a more cultured central midfielder in the last 30 years at Hillsborough.

Jones had seriously good ability, and he was no shrinking violet either. It was a real shame that injuries hit hard.

Definitely Ryan Jones. He was a rare player in that he had a great eye for a pass and always looked like he had time on the ball but at the same time he was huge and had no problem barrelling his way through the midfield too. Weighed in with a good few goals as well. We lost so many good players to injury back in the early/mid nineties.

Threads like this almost make me think we are cursed. So much unfulfilled potential. Bad luck with injuries and poorly managed players too. 

I made a point in another thread months ago we’ve barely had any players in the past 20 years that leave us and go on to play at a higher level or even stay playing in the championship!