Wednesday Players We Thought Were Going To Be World Beaters.

4 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Unless I'm remembering it wrong at one stage that season Atkinson had about 14 goals to Hirst's 2 or 3. They both finished the season on about 16 goals. I met Hirsty once and asked him about Dalian Atkinson. I told him he was the only player I'd seen that made Hirsty look slow. He said yes he was very fast but for himself. They should have been unstoppable together but maybe what Hirsty said and the scoring turnaround in the second half of the season meant they would never really gel together so it was probably for the best he went to Real Sociedad although we didn't think so at the time.Hirsty also said that Paul Williams was his favourite strike partner as he was totally unselfish.

You're remembering it wrong ;-)

Hirst finished with 14 league goals to Atkinson's 10, although Atkinson did score the only 2 goals that we managed in the opening 11 league games.   I remember Atkinson scoring a hat trick at Aldershot in the league cup, although he didn't get the match ball as Steve Whitton scored 4. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

You're remembering it wrong ;-)

Hirst finished with 14 league goals to Atkinson's 10, although Atkinson did score the only 2 goals that we managed in the opening 11 league games.   I remember Atkinson scoring a hat trick at Aldershot in the league cup, although he didn't get the match ball as Steve Whitton scored 4. 

Did you remember it or did you have to look it up for the exact numbers?

I don't know where I got the original idea from. It may just have been that Hirsty took ages to get off the mark and I've concocted the rest.

The important thing however is to remember that we won the League and Cup double that season in spite of our strikers not gelling all that well!!!

7 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

Did you remember it or did you have to look it up for the exact numbers?

I don't know where I got the original idea from. It may just have been that Hirsty took ages to get off the mark and I've concocted the rest.

The important thing however is to remember that we won the League and Cup double that season in spite of our strikers not gelling all that well!!!

Looked up the exact numbers but I knew Hirst scored more, Atkinson didn't actually score as many as he ought to have, and we couldn't buy a goal at the start of the season!

The promotion and cup win was the following season, Big Ron played a blinder by offloading his son Dalian and using some of the cash to buy Williams and Wilson 

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Looked up the exact numbers but I knew Hirst scored more, Atkinson didn't actually score as many as he ought to have, and we couldn't buy a goal at the start of the season!

The promotion and cup win was the following season, Big Ron played a blinder by offloading his son Dalian and using some of the cash to buy Williams and Wilson 

lol  I know we were relegated but got promoted and won the league cup the following year in 91. I was just joking that my memory was really bad and I was totally deluded thinking we'd won the first division and fa cup double in 90.and of course you are right that Dalian was indeed Big Ron's offspring.

16 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

lol  I know we were relegated but got promoted and won the league cup the following year in 91. I was just joking that my memory was really bad and I was totally deluded thinking we'd won the first division and fa cup double in 90.and of course you are right that Dalian was indeed Big Ron's offspring.

Quite a family Ron had with his sons Dalian and Rowan proper talented.WTF:

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2019 at 10:09, belfast owl lad said:

Michele de piedi anyone?

Oh yes I remember all the excitement, he came with the honour of being Young Italian Player of the Year, but as is the Wednesday way, it didn't work out!

Andy Sinton. Looked the real deal in his first 2 ganes. 

That was that.

I think the big disappointment in my time supporting us was Hirst senior. 

He was a real handful when he was only half fit. Imagine if he'd have really applied himself, avoided the pub. He was as good as, if not better than Shearer when they were in their early twenties.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

Marc Degryse..Couldn't believe it when we let him go...Dunno whether he actually went on to do much else, but he was great for us...

Oh an' Kim Olsen, when he first trotted out wiv his lithe Scandinavian form I thought..

"This bloke looks good....................

Lasted 45 minutes..............................

Patrick Blondeau is mine- had watched him a few times for Monaco and always thought he was amazing. Literally couldn’t believe he signed for us. And he was dog dirt.

on the flip side, I did say that Richie Humphries would never be any good long term even at the time of 3 in 3 and Van Basten praise. Just could see it wasn’t going to last.