Wednesday Players We Thought Were Going To Be World Beaters.

1 hour ago, keepitsteel89 said:

Ozzy would be mine, I see him on the ball before the game from time to time and he looks decent. Never even makes the squad though... what's the point him even being here. Stealing a wage

I disagree, infact i can see us falling ahht.

Fancy a Barney?

• Haha 1

Never really came out and said Di Piedi was gonna be a world beater, but he had all the ingredients to be good and that goal against Sunderland (?). 

He was tall, strong, energetic, had some skills, pretty quick. But ended up to be a headless chicken and a flop! 

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

In the early days I thought Mark Beevers was destined for the Top. Decent defensively and good on the ball. He's still played at a decentish level but never made the premier league which I thought he would when he first broke through into our team.

Really all of that £20M defence (or was it £25M?)

Rodger Wylde  :mellow:

Probably overrated him tbf, but I was always convinced some top flight club would step in and lure him away from us

Ended up joining Oldham for less than I thought he was worth, but there you go

Big Jack signed Gary Bannister and it was a case of Rodger who ...?

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Dalian Atkinson.

A player who had everything and could and should have had his choice of clubs in World Football he had that much potential. 

Some players are a flash in the pan. Hit a purple patch which make us think they're better than they are in reality. 

But Dalian was the real thing.  He just never applied himself fully.

Not so much a flash in the pan as a waste of a genuine top drawer talent.

649765102.jpg

The lad should have had a bagful of International caps.

Aye, not wrong there.

Always remember coming out of the Woodstock diner one night up banner cross and he was sat on the bonnet of his new Porsche with most Sheffield's gangsters trying to look cool.

Knew then he was on the slippery road.

A few already been mentioned in this thread.

I thought we’d signed a real gem in Rhys McCabe. That famous ‘bossed the Old Firm’ line. Superb debut against Derby at Pride Park ages 19 I believe. Scored a cracker against Charlton.

Completely fizzled out, may have been down to attitude. God knows where he is now. 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A few already been mentioned in this thread.

I thought we’d signed a real gem in Rhys McCabe. That famous ‘bossed the Old Firm’ line. Superb debut against Derby at Pride Park ages 19 I believe. Scored a cracker against Charlton.

Completely fizzled out, may have been down to attitude. God knows where he is now. 

So does Google, he’s at St Patrick’s Athletic in Ireland

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

At one point Paul Warhurst looked absolute class. He was a superb centre half and had pace to burn and the ability to carry the ball out of defence before picking a pass.  Then Francis played him up front and he was a revelation.  Alas like many, he suffered with bad injuries and similar to Hirst never quite hit the heights he could have.  At one point I certainly viewed him as an international class player, the lad had it all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

At one point Paul Warhurst looked absolute class. He was a superb centre half and had pace to burn and the ability to carry the ball out of defence before picking a pass.  Then Francis played him up front and he was a revelation.  Alas like many, he suffered with bad injuries and similar to Hirst never quite hit the heights he could have.  At one point I certainly viewed him as an international class player, the lad had it all.

He looked calm assured and composed at centre half. I thought we'd got a gem.  But when at the back there was nearly always one moment every week that almost had me wearing the brown trousers. 

Always a rick in there waiting to come out.

Of course that's a proud tradition in our centre halves which continues to this day!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Peter Feely came from Gillingham having scored 22 goals in 41 games. Couldn't score for us missing numerous sitters, think he final scored via a deflection (2 goals in 19 games for Owls)

Good shout. Blimey we signed some tripe-hounds back in the seventies...wish I’d kept me scrapbook...would have had pictorial evidence.:sad:

3 hours ago, 1961OWL said:

Ziggi Jonsson. Looked like he had it all at such a young age. Think Souness finished his career. 

^^^^^^^

This........as a 12 year old reading the newspapers that your club had beaten Barcelona and Aberdeen (they were a top team back then) to the signature of this young Icelandic Superstar and then it all turned out a bit meh. And your probably right about Souness. 

14 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I think he was called up for the England squad during that run in 92/93 but got injured and never received another call up.

He had what defenders hate - pace.

Remember Colin Walker - bin man from Barnsley bagging a hatrick in the cup - never seen again.

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Rodger Wylde  :mellow:

Probably overrated him tbf, but I was always convinced some top flight club would step in and lure him away from us

Ended up joining Oldham for less than I thought he was worth, but there you go

Big Jack signed Gary Bannister and it was a case of Rodger who ...?

I thought it was the signings of TC and McCulloch that prompted Wylde’s move .Then Bannister ultimately took Curran’s hero status.

As others have said, it was Chris Bart-Williams that I always thought was the one. He had an excellent career but didn’t reach the heights I thought he would.