Wednesday Players We Thought Were Going To Be World Beaters.

On 09/02/2019 at 13:15, NorfolkNChance said:

Ryan Jones 

Injuries finished him but he looked great for a while 

Sheridan aside, you'd struggle to find a more cultured central midfielder in the last 30 years at Hillsborough.

Jones had seriously good ability, and he was no shrinking violet either. It was a real shame that injuries hit hard.

Mark chamberlain a seriously talented footballer who could have been the waddle of that era but Wilkinson was determined to coach the flair out of him same as he did with siggi. But in all my time following Wednesday it has to be hirsty who was the best striker I’ve seen at  Wednesday by a mile but with the right approach and luck could have been the player of his generation. He blinded Shearer on ability of not in ambition 

The first time I saw Julian Watts he came on as a sub and scored 2 I think ?

Thought we may be on to something ?

Next time I saw him.I was late getting to the ground and as I was taking my chair saw him suicide dive and took a flurry of boots in the face. stretchered off and that was the end of him..

didn't do anything after that of note in a Wednesday shirt .....

3 hours ago, g-owls said:

Sheridan aside, you'd struggle to find a more cultured central midfielder in the last 30 years at Hillsborough.

Jones had seriously good ability, and he was no shrinking violet either. It was a real shame that injuries hit hard.

Jones had a serious sherbert habit,suprised hes still got a nose,was at a do up highgreen one night and he was face down in a pool of pi$$ in the toilets,coked off his nut,thought he was dead,he was quickly taken away and loads of phoney excuses made,Wasnt the first or last time either,saw him get out of a taxi at thorncliffe,looked like it was snowing in summer...............

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, g-owls said:

I may have a seriously bad memory?  

I thought he was just a work horse giant that other players bounced off! 

If wiki is correct, he played 41 games over 7 years...

Madjid Bougerra.

Not really a surprise that he left us for better money, but his career seemed to tail off quickly. 

Another of those Wednesday defenders who, no matter how good they appeared, always had a clanger just around the corner. That aside, he was a class above his teammates.

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2019 at 11:44, SallyCinnamon said:

A few already been mentioned in this thread.

I thought we’d signed a real gem in Rhys McCabe. That famous ‘bossed the Old Firm’ line. Superb debut against Derby at Pride Park ages 19 I believe. Scored a cracker against Charlton.

Completely fizzled out, may have been down to attitude. God knows where he is now. 

Rhys McCabe

Currently at Irish League Sligo Rovers
Hes still only 26. Five clubs and has never moved for a single penny, yup no fees. Has a career stat (League) of 88 games in total over those five clubs and 28 of those were as a sub!

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2019 at 09:03, Great Big Galaa said:

In the early days I thought Mark Beevers was destined for the Top. Decent defensively and good on the ball. He's still played at a decentish level but never made the premier league which I thought he would when he first broke through into our team.

Agreed

There have been loads. Over the last few years especially since the premier league days I believe some of the names mentioned in this thread could have been a lot better for us and in there career with better management, especially on our part. Even down to Blinker, why would Pleat not play him ?!

The youngsters especially - with a proper man manager these players would have had much better careers I'm sure of it.

In terms of players we brought in, Marco Matias had a lot of hype and a brilliant goalscoring record in Portugal. Remember him missing two big chances on his debut against Bristol and thinking that once he'd settled in he'd start sticking them away and be the sort of player who could lead us to promotion.

If only...

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 09/02/2019 at 18:20, WalthamOwl said:

Nuhiu :-) didn’t he score on his debut against QPR? Not seen anywhere near enough of that since. 

Apart from 13 goals in about 16 games last season you mean...