club crest

Guest The Claw

5 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

The crest before the current one is an original emblem, the current one is similar styling to Pigs other year and probably been used as a template by other clubs.. It's unrecognised abroad unlike the previous badge. 

Reyt, lol

It's ironic that when the 70's owl was introduced it received a VERY mixed reception. No badge was worn on the kit then anyway and no replica kits were on sale at extortionate prices (Suggs sold a few shirts now and again) and no social media then of course but The Star's Letters Page had a number of disgruntled fans commenting on our tradition being washed away. I must be getting old when we have come full circle and the 70's design is now a classic not to be messed with.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Michael Crawford said:

You show any football fan the one it replaced they knew it was Sheffield Wednesday, show them the new crest and they've no idea which club it is.

Absolute hyperbole.  I've said a million times on here, exaggeration does not improve your argument.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Michael Crawford said:

You show any football fan the one it replaced they knew it was Sheffield Wednesday, show them the new crest and they've no idea which club it is.

To be honest I'm not always completely sure myself 

44 minutes ago, Onge said:

Timeless? I think it looks hideously dated - it was a 1950s reject after all, but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you're going to get a new badge it should feel at home in the 21st century - like West Ham, Juve and even the Premier League have done recently. It's about branding and it need to work across various media (especially on digital screens). When you factor in those things, the current badge is a massive step backwards from what we had before - it simply isn't versatile enough. So putting personal taste aside, the current badge commercially will do us no favours in my view...

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think the west ham or Juve badges look 21st century, more late 20th century (That sort of - what we think the future will look like - look). The current badge looks old, but in a good way in my opinion: It becomes a representation of the age of the club, its traditional ground with its traditional fanbase. It fits with the motto better as well IMO. Commercially, I don't think it makes that much of a difference on a screen, unless you already know the logo, neither one particularly screams Sheffield Wednesday, though both are easily recogniseable as an owl. 

Most of all though the important thing to me is that it doesn't look like a child's entry for a logo competition from the 70s.

Guest Willow Owl

Prefer the current one. Actually looks like a proper club crest. Not like one that was drawn up by some kid using Etch a Sketch.

15 minutes ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think the west ham or Juve badges look 21st century, more late 20th century (That sort of - what we think the future will look like - look). The current badge looks old, but in a good way in my opinion: It becomes a representation of the age of the club, its traditional ground with its traditional fanbase. It fits with the motto better as well IMO. Commercially, I don't think it makes that much of a difference on a screen, unless you already know the logo, neither one particularly screams Sheffield Wednesday, though both are easily recogniseable as an owl. 

Most of all though the important thing to me is that it doesn't look like a child's entry for a logo competition from the 70s.

11 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Prefer the current one. Actually looks like a proper club crest. Not like one that was drawn up by some kid using Etch a Sketch.

This is part of the reason i prefer the 70's version. 

Sure, i love the current one too aswell as the 50's version but all my old school books are adorned with the simple Owl.

I and many other pupils would draw the 70s version on our books, desks and anywhere really. 

Unless any of us are Rembrandt or Banksy then the current Owl wouldn't be recognisable.

Just like Derby and Forest's emblem, the simplicity is where the magic and nationwide recognition was.

Forest and Swansea badges are the same type of style as our old/best one . Simple to draw and instantly recognisable . Glad I was a kid in the seventies as I can't imagine being able to draw on/deface exercise books with the new badge . Take me a fortnight to draw the wings . 

1 minute ago, cross owl said:

Forest and Swansea badges are the same type of style as our old/best one . Simple to draw and instantly recognisable . Glad I was a kid in the seventies as I can't imagine being able to draw on/deface exercise books with the new badge . Take me a fortnight to draw the wings . 

Same, I'm gash at drawing, but mastered the Owl.