Jump to content
Tony Pulis

Unhealthy sugary snacks.

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

I have the same when I do a small walk    lol 

 

 

How small Trev? To the beer fridge...and back? :biggrin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sham67 said:

 

 

Seems to be a difference of opinion here.  Which one is peddling fake news?

 

There's no difference of opinion on the underpinning science, what Owl14 is highlighting is the basis of the science behind energy utilisation during exercise and more specifically the role of sugar, or as he said glucose, but if we're being more specific it's stored glucose which is glycogen that needs to be converted to glucose to fuel ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate) through a process glycolysis. None of that can be disputed, it's just the science of fuelling exercise. 

 

What i disputed was the need for sugar in the form of sweets in professional sports. If a player is reaching for sugar in the form of sweets to fuel their training then something went wrong along the way. Either they missed meals and didn't fuel as they should or someone forgot the more optimal fuelling solutions such as cyclic dextrin. 

 

Owl14's point about improved performance is somewhat vague too, it infers sugars are necessary for all performance improvements or that performance cannot be improved without sugared up full glycogen, however for aerobic based activity a case for training low state (not carbed up) or even just on fats could be beneficial.

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. It's obviously the sweets that Steve Bruce brought back from his holiday init

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of knowledge the average person has on diet and nutrition is worrying, anyone can indulge in the odd pizza or burger even athletes, it won't make them fat or unfit as it's all about calories in vs calories out. Pro football players probably have to eat a caloric surplus to even maintain their weight with the calories they burn daily. Eating a few sugary sweets is great for a burst of energy, has no one ever noticed the drinks that players take in during the game are not just pure water, they'll be isotonic sports drinks. 

 

No wonder we have so many fat bald fans in skin tight Wednesday shirts. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

The lack of knowledge the average person has on diet and nutrition is worrying, anyone can indulge in the odd pizza or burger even athletes, it won't make them fat or unfit as it's all about calories in vs calories out. Pro football players probably have to eat a caloric surplus to even maintain their weight with the calories they burn daily. Eating a few sugary sweets is great for a burst of energy, has no one ever noticed the drinks that players take in during the game are not just pure water, they'll be isotonic sports drinks. 

 

No wonder we have so many fat bald fans in skin tight Wednesday shirts. 

 

Yes, it's a well known fact that a lack of diet and nutrition knowledge causes hair loss.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as long as is not Haribo.  That stuff is crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:05, Owlinmad said:

I honestly thought your post said "when I'm on a big un" at first glance.

WTF:

 

 

Nah dude. Ya need less energy for a big un. One good thrust and the ripples take you the rest of the way lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

The lack of knowledge the average person has on diet and nutrition is worrying, anyone can indulge in the odd pizza or burger even athletes, it won't make them fat or unfit as it's all about calories in vs calories out. Pro football players probably have to eat a caloric surplus to even maintain their weight with the calories they burn daily. Eating a few sugary sweets is great for a burst of energy, has no one ever noticed the drinks that players take in during the game are not just pure water, they'll be isotonic sports drinks. 

 

No wonder we have so many fat bald fans in skin tight Wednesday shirts. 

 

Performance nutrition is about a LOT more than ‘calories in Vs Calories out’ of it wasn’t you’d probably get the nutritionist job at S6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, basically a useful thing for athletes then? If used under the correct circumstances?

 

Great thread.

 

Thanks

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

 

Performance nutrition is about a LOT more than ‘calories in Vs Calories out’ of it wasn’t you’d probably get the nutritionist job at S6. 

 

As if you would get it

.lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

 

As if you would get it

.lol

 

I can’t ever Imagine being so offended because someone has an education and does a job that you pretend to know about and therefore comments with both knowledge and experience on the topic matter. 

 

The fact you’re so intent on being right to the point you resort to being insulting says a lot more about your mental health than it does about your knowledge too. 

 

I genuinely hope you’re ok fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

 

I can’t ever Imagine being so offended because someone has an education and does a job that you pretend to know about and therefore comments with both knowledge and experience on the topic matter. 

 

The fact you’re so intent on being right to the point you resort to being insulting says a lot more about your mental health than it does about your knowledge too. 

 

I genuinely hope you’re ok fella. 

 

I'm not the one making stuff up and pretending to be an expert pal

 

lol

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If sunny delight makes kids bossed eyed and manically energetic... surely it should replace isotonic drinks at the club?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

 

I'm not the one making stuff up and pretending to be an expert pal

 

lol

 

Ok answer this:

 

If sugar in the form of sweets is so good for the players energy why don't they have bags of haribo by the side of the pitch during matches?

 

Also, if sugar is so important for energy and you think i'm wrong about the nutritional strategies at SWFC, why are there bottles of a isotonic stevia (a low calorie alternative to sugar) drink at the side of the pitch? 

 

Also why are there no research papers on pizza as a recovery option in professional sports on pubmed? 

 

Let's say i am lying and unemployed, i've just kicked your balls with basic logic kidda lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

 

Ok answer this:

 

If sugar in the form of sweets is so good for the players energy why don't they have bags of haribo by the side of the pitch during matches?

 

Also, if sugar is so important for energy and you think i'm wrong about the nutritional strategies at SWFC, why are there bottles of a isotonic stevia (a low calorie alternative to sugar) drink at the side of the pitch? 

 

Also why are there no research papers on pizza as a recovery option in professional sports on pubmed? 

 

Let's say i am lying and unemployed, i've just kicked your balls with basic logic kidda lol 

 

Nice googling.

 

The experts at our club know more than you.

 

Hence why they get employed in that area and you don't

 

 

Edited by Belfast Owl 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

 

Nice googling.

 

The experts at our club know more than you.

 

Hence why they get employed.

 

 

 

What's to google, i just asked a question lol 

 

I just put your reply through google translate though, it came back with this:

 

'i don't know' 

 

it must be difficult being as thick as you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hawksmore said:

 

What's to google, i just asked a question lol 

 

I just put your reply through google translate though, it came back with this:

 

'i don't know' 

 

it must be difficult being as thick as you. 

 

So you know damn all about this area.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only on Owlstalk can a thread about chuffin Harribo sweets turn into a slagging match on sports nutrition

lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

The lack of knowledge the average person has on diet and nutrition is worrying, anyone can indulge in the odd pizza or burger even athletes, it won't make them fat or unfit as it's all about calories in vs calories out. Pro football players probably have to eat a caloric surplus to even maintain their weight with the calories they burn daily. Eating a few sugary sweets is great for a burst of energy, has no one ever noticed the drinks that players take in during the game are not just pure water, they'll be isotonic sports drinks. 

 

No wonder we have so many fat bald fans in skin tight Wednesday shirts. 

 

Ah , you `ve met our lass then. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

Only on Owlstalk can a thread about chuffin Harribo sweets turn into a slagging match on sports nutrition

lol 

 

Image result for sid james pipe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...