Getting Carried Away

Steve Bruce coming in has been like a breath of fresh air. I completely trust him to do what’s in the best interest of the club.

This summer will see us shed a lot of the dead wood which has been holding us back and restricting us financially for a long time, without getting anything in return.

It will be then that Bruce can start making his mark and hopefully bring some new players in. To mould the squad into a group of players that he’s happy with will take time.

Everyone seems to have felt the ‘Bruce Effect’ which is great, however this has fuelled some over ambitious targets. By this I mean mention of the play offs is,in my opinion, is a step too far. 

Although the number of points behind 6th place isn’t that many, there’s too many teams between us and the play off spots in my opinion, for us to mount a serious challenge. If as a fan base we build up the expectations, fuelled by the new found feel good factor, we could have egg on our faces.

What I really don’t want is for us to miss out on the play offs, despite making improvements on the pitch, and there be a sense of disappointment and negativity due to missing out on an unrealistic target. 

We just need to enjoy the fact that Bruce has come in, and DC-who has got the best interest of the club at heart-has hopefully learned from mistakes previously made, Bruce can get now get on with shaping and building this squad as he deems fit.He knows what it takes to achieve promotion. 

We just need to keep our feet on the ground,remain patient and let things unfold. We are heading in the right direction.

• Like 3

Think Bruce is a good appointment.

Accept play offs challenge this season is not going to happen.

But if ticket prices continued to remain high than I cant blame anyone for saying a play off challenge next season is the minimum requirement.

Also with the 1867 Club has Chansiri really learned lessons from past mistakes? 

No one expects the playoffs but come on, we have 3 of the bottom 4 coming up and a bit of buzz since Bruce has arrived. Yes there are thousands of reasons why its unrealistic but lets have some hope and belief.

No one will be disappointed if we don't get there. But I don't believe its an unrealistic thought.

I often think back to when Hughton took over at Brighton in the January of a season, he kept them up but his record over 20 games wasn’t that amazing. More losses that wins. But what he did during that time was sort out the club’s structure, procedures and playing squad, so they were ready for a playoff push the following season. And I feel Bruce will do the same for us 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 1

Guest LittleG
35 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

The sad thing for me is despite having the worst manager in our history for half a season we are only 9 points off the play off, as Jim Bowen used to say "look what we could have won".

A speedboat!

43 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

The sad thing for me is despite having the worst manager in our history for half a season we are only 9 points off the play off, as Jim Bowen used to say "look what we could have won".

Jossin hell. 

Its unbelievable how bad a manager he was. Swansea away one of the lowest and most disillusioned I’ve felt as an swfc fan. 

thankfully can look forward now.

I like hope, without it what's the meaning of life :biggrin:

Even forlorn hope is better than none.

If we don't make it so be it...better to have tried and failed.....and all that bollllax.

But next season hope will still rule for most; apart from some soothsayers telling me it's Bruce's transition season...but next season etc etc etc

4 minutes ago, SupremeOwl said:

Im willing to give this regime as long as it needs to get us back on track.

We're in a mess so they need time, it could take 1,2,3, even 4 or more years but I feel if we're patient enough with them, they will eventually get us to where we want to be.

But we're all football fans so .............................................................

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

No one expects the playoffs but come on, we have 3 of the bottom 4 coming up and a bit of buzz since Bruce has arrived. Yes there are thousands of reasons why its unrealistic but lets have some hope and belief.

No one will be disappointed if we don't get there. But I don't believe its an unrealistic thought.

Hope and belief is great, don’t get me wrong, but as long as failing to achieve the play offs doesn’t constitute failure in some supporters eyes. I’d love us to put a run together and make it, but I’d see it as a huge bonus rather than expectation.

30 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Jossin hell. 

Its unbelievable how bad a manager he was. Swansea away one of the lowest and most disillusioned I’ve felt as an swfc fan. 

thankfully can look forward now.

Millwall away was criminal.

Then came Swansea and the stain.

• Like 1