Rhodes goals

I'd rather focus on the goal to game ratios of the strikers we have - Joao a goal every 3 chances whereas Fletch a goal every 10.

If Bruce can find a way to coach Fletch back to his best in terms of finishing and we find a way to get Joao playing anything like his level of potential then we should be destroying teams.

Rhodes - meh.  Too slow, too unskillful, too weak and not a team contributor - even when he was scoring lots of goals for Blackburn they were bottom half as he doesn't contribute anything else to team.  Fk him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I'd rather focus on the goal to game ratios of the strikers we have - Joao a goal every 3 chances whereas Fletch a goal every 10.

If Bruce can find a way to coach Fletch back to his best in terms of finishing and we find a way to get Joao playing anything like his level of potential then we should be destroying teams.

Rhodes - meh.  Too slow, too unskillful, too weak and not a team contributor - even when he was scoring lots of goals for Blackburn they were bottom half as he doesn't contribute anything else to team.  Fk him.

Goal to game or goal to chances?

If the latter, where do you find that info.

If as you say Joao is 1 in 3 chances that’s really good.

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Well I’m a realist, and the situation is, as you say, we are stuck with him No club that might want him, will pay more than a token amount for him. If we were to receive a paltry offer, I’d take it, and then he’s somebody else’s problem. However, if he comes back, we just utilise him in the way that Norwich have, giving him minutes at the end of the game He’s shown he can get goals when used in that way. What we really mustn’t do though, is change our whole way of playing just to accommodate Jordan Rhodes

We arguably haven’t currently got a set way of playing hence our recent struggles with the supposedly quality of players we have?

42 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Any from a chap by the name of Melvyn Sterland.

Haha

Goalie thought bubble “ Please don’t hit it straight down the middle, please don’t hit it straight down the middle, please......”

• Haha 1

Clean slate, Bruce will evaluate Rhodes, because to the best of my, albeit, limited knowledge, SWFC still owns the rights to Reach, and Bruce Himself said that it's a clean slate for all Players...I'm sure he knows Rhodes already, better than any of us here.  Rhodes will get his chance too, during the 2019-2020 season, if he's not sold.

I'm not a Rhodes fan, but, let's see how he does with Bruce calling the shots, next season, if either are still at SWFC.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farlego said:

If Rhodes was playing for them scrubbers across town he would have a field day, similar to Billy blunt

I’m not sure, Sharp has tried to adapt his game and has upped his work rate  Because he’s done that, allied to his knowledge of where to be in the box, he’s worthy of a place in the side. Rhodes, who has a similar predatory instinct, doesn’t do enough to be trusted with a starting spot

Rhodes looked at best League 1 standard when he played for us. Every other forward out performed him and all were given exactly the same supply as they all played in the same Wednesday side. The only possible excuse left for Rhodes imo is that he was never really paired with Fletcher.  I’m a bit surprised those that continue to make a case for Rhodes don’t use this as a valid reason tbh as you’d assume Fletcher would have been the best partner for him.

We never heard comments like we never played to Hooper’s, João’s, FF’s, Fletcher’s or even Nuhui’s strengths but we make an exception for Rhodes. 

Edited by Walt

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Rhodes looked at best League 1 standard when he played for us. Every other forward out performed him and all were given exactly the same supply as they all played in the same Wednesday side. The only possible excuse left for Rhodes imo is that he was never really paired with Fletcher.  I’m a bit surprised those that continue to make a case for Rhodes don’t use this as a valid reason tbh as you’d assume Fletcher would have been the best partner for him.

We never heard comments like we never played to Hooper’s, João’s, FF’s, Fletcher’s or even Nuhui’s strengths but we make an exception for Rhodes. 

Pretty sure that we've said many a time we don't play to Nunu's strengths, or that FF should play out wide, or that Joao on the right in a front 3 doesn't work so need to play to his strengths?

4 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Pretty sure that we've said many a time we don't play to Nunu's strengths, or that FF should play out wide, or that Joao on the right in a front 3 doesn't work so need to play to his strengths?

I think most had written Joao and Nuhiu off before Jos gave them a fair crack at it last season. I personally don’t recall people saying that we don’t play to their strengths as a defence for them previous to that.

* I really tried not to respond to another Rhodes thread an’all.

7 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We arguably haven’t currently got a set way of playing hence our recent struggles with the supposedly quality of players we have?

This is a brilliant post. Since CC lost the plot and went all defensive we really haven't had a way of playing, especially not under Jos. Hence the drop in form and points and league position.

It will take a while but I'm sure we will have one under Bruce, which I hope will be attacking then we can get the best out of our good players and buy players to suit this.

If Rhodes fits into that I don't know. Still hoping he is sold to be honest. Could see Norwich signing him IF they don't go up.

• Like 1

Rhodes never really had a good opportunity for us.

Towards the end, Carlos hung our forwards out to dry, with no supply and no support. Rhodes was played as a target man to hold it up and lay it off. It was a bad joke to watch, an utter waste of a talented player.
Jos was 1000% defensive when he first arrived and some how for Nuhiu scoring for a while which kept Rhodes on the bench.

Then he got shipped out on loan for FFP reasons.

Rhodes is now showing he can still score goals comfortably, and as a good rate in this league.
Even if Pukki is having a astounding season and is largely limiting Rhodes' opportunities.

Bruce knows how to set up a football team, that's for sure. So with Rhodes returning in a few months time, hopefully we'll be bringing in some wide men who can give him the supply he has needed, and not had, since the moment he arrived. Fingers Crossed Bruce realises that Nando's not very good as a center forward, and we go into next season with Rhodes, Fletch, Joao and Winnall as our 4 competing forwards. Nando left and a proper winger on the right, plus 2 fullbacks who can cross (Fox actually isn't that bad). Then there's a decent chance we're all singing Rhodes' name at the right end of the table this time next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, agentwalker said:

But did they ask him to take one?? 

There's not many £10 million strikers who would refuse to take a pen when the manager comes calling.

I don't know, but he was one of their usual penalty takers - at least he took their previous successful penalty in a league game - so you would've thought so.

I'd like to hear Rhodes's own side of the story regarding not taking a penalty in our shootout. Did he say "no, I'm not taking one. I refuse." or did he say "I'm really not confident, boss"? He missed his previous one in a league game so I can't imagine his penalty confidence would've been high, and it would've been heightened by the fact he was facing his former club. Personally I wouldn't want a player lacking confidence to take one of the first penalties.

15 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I don't know, but he was one of their usual penalty takers - at least he took their previous successful penalty in a league game - so you would've thought so.

I'd like to hear Rhodes's own side of the story regarding not taking a penalty in our shootout. Did he say "no, I'm not taking one. I refuse." or did he say "I'm really not confident, boss"? He missed his previous one in a league game so I can't imagine his penalty confidence would've been high, and it would've been heightened by the fact he was facing his former club. Personally I wouldn't want a player lacking confidence to take one of the first penalties.

Carvalhal explained what happened pretty clearly at the time: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39962116

It's been done to death on here, but if a player tells his manager he's not entirely confident taking a penalty, he's doing what's professional and in the team's best interests. We had five players who felt more confident to step up in that moment, so it's right they they should have taken the penalties ahead of Rhodes.

On 07/02/2019 at 06:31, Holmowl said:

Norwich 925 minutes 6 goals = goal every 154 minutes

Owls 2900 minutes 8 goals = goal every 360 minutes

All other clubs he scored a goal every 150-200 minutes.

Why?

(only included League)

Two bellend managers who didn't know how to get the best out of him sadly.

• Haha 1

On 06/02/2019 at 20:42, OWLERTON GHOST said:

A real striker would shove his teamates out of the way to score goals ..

Dooley, Clough, Latchford Shearer to name a few.

Greedy as Hell if it didnt fall for them? they'd hunt the ball down and anyone who got in their way ...

I've not seen much hunt and hunger in Rhodes to be honest?

I'm not expecting a Kinkladze or a Duncan Ferguson but he Rhodes has got to modify his game to keep up...

there's no place in football today for a goal hanger he needs a few rabbits and flags up his sleeves he needs to up his game ..

Sink or swim time for Jordan Rhodes..

Think the boats sailed long ago here he will be swimming else where. The truth is we bought a striker who didnt suit are style of play snd we didnt really need. Then Jos came in and played ultra defensive football so Rhodes had no chance. Maybe his best days are gone but he has performed at other clubs.