Play-off push

The 6th place club is on target for 74/75 points if they continue as they have so far. On that basis let's assume 75 points is our target, we need 37 points from 17 games. 51 points available.

Win the next 3 and we will need 28 points from 14 games. That in itself is automatic promotion form.

Very slim chance of a play off place, if we drop points in the next 3 games I think we can write off any chance of play offs.

Even if we get to the playoffs it's only a 1 in 4 chance of promotion. Having said that we would be in top form after a run like that and I don't think any other team would fancy their chances.

11 hours ago, room0035 said:

We have 17 games left so 51 points to play for we are 9 points off the top 6 and in the next 3 games play 3 of the bottom 5. 

We have 5 games before the derby if we can take 11 points + from these games come the end of February we could possibly be 4 or 5 points of the play off with still 12 games left. 

Anything is possible in the championship this season but we need a few teams above us to drop off though. 

Lets see what we get from Reading, Millwall and Toy Town and see where we are then. If we win all 3 we could be looking at lot closer to the top 6. I think we will realistically need to win maybe 11 of the remaining 17 games to have a chance of top 6 giving us maybe 71/72 which is a big ask.

At least we are trying to win games now instead of setting up to defend against Barcelona every week as we were under Dross.

Also we have a game in hand over a lot of the teams above us which if won makes the gap just 6 pts, hardly a mountain. There's a few of the sides blocking our path still to play, so who knows, especially as we all know how anyone can beat anyone in this division on their day and all teams have a wobble.

I just want to see commitment and desire from the players,it could happen so lets have a good go at 6th place. 

I’d love us to have a go. The feel good factor & buzz around Wednesday after CC got us to Wembley was why we’re all here. Football bringing thousands of people together. 

I do feel we’ve left it too late this season with the JL fiasco. Not playing our best available players cost us points. 

Dawson is good, but KW is better. I’m pleased some of the academy lads got to play but ultimately I think it cost us far too many points. 

Bruce is a class manager. He’s switched on. And studied under Fergie, let’s see what he can do but I think POs are out of reach for now

2 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Even if we did manage play off then go up, the backbone of the team we have at the minute wouldn't be anywhere near enough to compete in the Prem. I shudder to think how much we'd need to spend and how many players we'd need in to be even half competitive. 

If much rather we see out this season respectably then have a proper go next year.

Let's not get carried away eh? Let the Bruce bounce continue but don't go overboard if we're not up there come May.

But with all the players we have out of contract and not hamstrung the elf re ffp or whatever its called DC could spend all that spare cash he has to invest but isn't allowed on buying a team for the pl

22 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Also we have a game in hand over a lot of the teams above us which if won makes the gap just 6 pts, hardly a mountain.

No, it wouldn't. We don't have a game in hand on the teams in 4th/5th/6th place and we're at least 16 points behind all the other top 3 teams.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Also we have a game in hand over a lot of the teams above us which if won makes the gap just 6 pts, hardly a mountain. There's a few of the sides blocking our path still to play, so who knows, especially as we all know how anyone can beat anyone in this division on their day and all teams have a wobble.

I just want to see commitment and desire from the players,it could happen so lets have a good go at 6th place. 

I Just hope DC stays quiet now - we seem to get some momentum going and he comes along and throws a spanner in the works.

Let Bruce and the team billed a run together and lets see how much closer to the Blades we are come the derby.

2 hours ago, roaminowl said:

No, it wouldn't. We don't have a game in hand on the teams in 4th/5th/6th place and we're at least 16 points behind all the other top 3 teams.

I'm trying to take positives bud, remember being a million miles off the pace in Carlos second season and finishing higher in 4th, we beat some very good sides and won if I remember 6 on the bounce?. I can't see why we can't just as jos did towards the end of last season put a very good run together especially playing quite a few of the lower table sides and ones in mid table whith nothing to play for and see where it takes us.

If Bruce can start to get the best out of what we have and the loan signings as they get sharper why not. 

Think on earlier in the season, we literally threw away 3 points in the games against Leeds and West Brom, being honest we should from the positions we were in done the double over Wba,but for terrible game management. That would have left the gap to just 3 points. 

2 hours ago, roaminowl said:

We are looking at 6th spot - it does matter if you finish 3rd or 6th at the end of the season it means the same thing.

There is no reason why we cannot push the top 6 but we have to beat the lesser teams we play 3 in our next 3. This has been our problem over the last few season not taking points of the teams we should. 9 points from Reading, Rotherham and Millwall and I can see us being within touching distance of the top 8.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

We are looking at 6th spot - it does matter if you finish 3rd or 6th at the end of the season it means the same thing.

There is no reason why we cannot push the top 6 but we have to beat the lesser teams we play 3 in our next 3. This has been our problem over the last few season not taking points of the teams we should. 9 points from Reading, Rotherham and Millwall and I can see us being within touching distance of the top 8.

I was just pointing out that we wouldn't be 6 points off a play-off place if we won our game in hand because we don't have a game in hand. 

If we can get some wins on the board quickly then it starts to look possible, it has to start now though and probably with at least 7pts from next 3 games.

If that happens the gap will look more like 5 or 6 pts with 14 games left which is definitely doable if the team has confidence.

Forget relegation, it'll be something like 42 points needed to stay up this year so we may as well go gung ho now. 

Im not getting my hopes up, just going to enjoy the ride

7 hours ago, offalyowl said:

Yeah if we did get there and got relegated then we have parachute payments to go up again 

I think it really depends - Some teams, like Hull or Sunderland, went down and had terrible seasons afterwards because the entire team was shot. I think the same will happen to Huddersfield when they're in the Championship next season. 

8 hours ago, j17tjp said:

I’d love us to have a go. The feel good factor & buzz around Wednesday after CC got us to Wembley was why we’re all here. Football bringing thousands of people together. 

I do feel we’ve left it too late this season with the JL fiasco. Not playing our best available players cost us points. 

Dawson is good, but KW is better. I’m pleased some of the academy lads got to play but ultimately I think it cost us far too many points. 

Bruce is a class manager. He’s switched on. And studied under Fergie, let’s see what he can do but I think POs are out of reach for now

were not good enough,end of